Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: upgrade suggestions  (Read 2655 times)

mrk26

• Reg Member
Re: upgrade suggestions
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2020, 04:00:42 PM »

If you don't really need new one now, leave it as it is until your current router produce little cloud or simply die.
I upgraded to better router as I moved to bigger house plus I jumped on faster package, plus there was fee more devices added.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: upgrade suggestions
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 04:43:19 PM »

I don't like the idea of using a RPi as a router as at least one of the ethernet ports would need to be USB based (or faff around with VLANs and a managed switch into the hard wired ethernet port) and I'd always assume that adds some latency.

Although that's quite an ironic view seeing as my main PC is using a USB ethernet adapter.  :lol:

I'm also dubious about the reliability of SD cards for something you are using 24/7 and needs to be rock-solid stable.  Although I guess with how cheap they are now, keeping a backup card is easy.

My person view overall is a proper router if you plan to run something like OpenWRT, as its easier to update that way.  Or an x86 if you plan to use a router OS like pfSense that updates using packages.  But that's purely opinion so don't take it as gospel.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]