Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Odd phone incident  (Read 1135 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Odd phone incident
« on: April 15, 2020, 11:47:20 AM »

One day we received  a call from my hearing aid provider but lacking the dial code. as the shop is shut they are delivering accessories.
Iknow one could dial a lcal number without one's code, but the incoming would always bear it.

Ideas folks?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Odd phone incident
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 11:53:56 AM »

It's easy to spoof the calling phone number. How certain are you that it was a genuine call?
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 03:59:41 PM »

In this case definite. The number is correct, and the same voice spoke to my wife on my behalf. I am invalided at moment.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 06:10:04 PM »

Sounds like maybe just a misconfiguration of the call centre?   Calling apparatus can generate any number it likes, and that is used as a legitimate feature by genuine call centres as well as scammers.

I wonder if whoever configured the calling apparatus, maybe just forgot to include the area code when configuring the number to be Presented to the called party?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 09:35:00 PM »

I wonder if whoever configured the calling apparatus, maybe just forgot to include the area code when configuring the number to be Presented to the called party?

I'm surprised the software would allow it, but not impossible I guess.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors