Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: is this a gfast pod?  (Read 1623 times)

spaace

• Reg Member
is this a gfast pod?
« on: April 09, 2020, 09:41:11 AM »

noticed this had been added to a cabinet in our village (seems to be the only one in the village out of 6 that has one at the minute).

is it gfast or just some sort of expansion module?

[Moderator edited to rotate the attached image by ninety degrees.]

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 02:28:05 PM by burakkucat »

re0

• Reg Member
Re: is this a gfast pod?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 10:39:35 AM »

Could be either. There are a couple of threads about pods appearing (here and there). You won't know until it is activated, which will likely take up to around 3-6 months for a G.fast pod.

Perhaps someone else will know, but can these pods containing VDSL hardware work without a nearby FTTC cabinet? I know for G.fast, they are connected up to the FTTC cabinet for power and fibre.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 10:57:02 AM »

thanks for replying.

there is a fttc cabinet a few metres away from where the pic was taken. all the cabinets in this village have fttc cabs within 2-3 metres

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 03:49:37 PM »

Perhaps someone else will know, but can these pods containing VDSL hardware work without a nearby FTTC cabinet? I know for G.fast, they are connected up to the FTTC cabinet for power and fibre.

I'm certain they will require a separate FTTC cab for the fibre and power, fitting these saves installing a new base and ducting for a full size cabinet.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 05:46:28 PM »

Yep. There's a hybrid power and fibre cable between the existing VDSL cabinet and the new pod. :)

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 10:00:57 PM »

was an OR engineer with his head in the PCP today when i walked past so thought i would ask if it was a gfast pod.. his reply...

"I'm not sure but i would like to know the answer to that question as well".

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 03:12:40 PM »

was an OR engineer with his head in the PCP today when i walked past so thought i would ask if it was a gfast pod.. his reply...

"I'm not sure but i would like to know the answer to that question as well".
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 12:21:56 PM »

seen another OR engineer today with his head in the pavement, jokingly asked if he was bunging some fibre in there for me, he said 100% within 5 years the whole of the UK will be FTTP.

Then got on to talking about the g fast pop in this thread, asking if others would appear - he said others have gfast but without the pod, i said are you sure and he said "yes 100% i just had my head in the cab down the road and saw the red wire"

Was not aware this was a thing? (certainly cannot order gfast at this point).

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 01:36:54 PM »

There's no G.Fast without a pod.

The G.Fast rollout has also hit a brick wall, with next to none being rolled out now.

Also don't know what on Earth he's talking about with a red wire, that doesn't indicate G.Fast.

Not a hope in hell of everyone having FTTP by 2025.
That's not even OpenReach's target.
It's certainly not the government's target (they aim for 100% gigabit coverage, which includes Virgins network and 5G).

No offense to them but I've met a few OpenReach engineers who are as useful as a chocolate tea-pot.
Some do indeed know what they are talking about but we hear whoppers coming from engineers all the time.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 03:27:30 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 01:57:22 PM »

There's no G.Fast without a pod.

The G.Fast rollout has also hit a brick wall, with next to none being rolled out now.

Also don't know what on Earth he's talking about with a red wire, that doesn't indicate G.Fast.

Not a hope in hell of everyone having FTTP by 2025.
That's not even OpenReach's target.
It's certainly not the government's target (they aim for 100% gigabit coverage, which includes Virgins network and 5G).

No offense to them but I've met a few OpenReach who are as useful as a chocolate tea-pot.
Some do indeed know what they are talking about but we hear whoppers coming from engineers all the time.

thanks for confirming, yes i thought he was just chatting rubbish about fttp and the gfast things. there was a pod added recently but may well have just been an expansion module.

yes seems they dont know what they are talking about (but worryingly talk like he knows exactly what he is on about!)

wolvesmad

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 04:22:53 PM »

My parents cab has one of those pods on it and has done for a few months now.

Saw a roadworks notice related to an earthing strap for a cabinet? That sound like G.Fast?
Zyxel VMG1312-B10A + Asus RT-AC68u on EE Fiber+

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 04:49:39 PM »

Nah.

anything