Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: hairpinning broken on recent router update  (Read 1536 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
hairpinning broken on recent router update
« on: April 06, 2020, 10:43:51 AM »

so i have a Unifi Dream machine, which worked fine up until UI pushed out an update (v1.5.6) that has broken hairpinning (apparently they knew about it but pushed it out anyway).
they even pushed it out to devices that had auto-updating disabled (yeah go figure!).

so this has resulted in me not being abel to access my self hosted sites when on my local LAN.
UI have not offered any time scale as to when they will fix this, and offer no method to roll back to the previously working version of v.1.5.0

so does anyone have any suggested workarounds?
i know i could manually edit the hosts file on each windows system, but i need a network wide solution that doesn't involve having to do anything manual to each system on the LAN.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: hairpinning broken on recent router update
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 11:01:54 AM »

Hi chenks

I do not know your device but if it similar to drayteks, is there a section for dns resolution. If so, you should be able to dns map the host so it is system wide

The other alternative is to use your own dns server and add that to dns servers in network

Host file would do the same but more effort if a lot of computers

Many thanks

John

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 11:08:01 AM »

i'm not sure i can see an option for dns resolution in the unifi controller.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 02:15:15 AM »

Can you not add static DNS entries to the router?

Hairpinning is generally considered a bad idea to begin with as it wastes router resources and is kinda a hack.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 07:35:26 AM »

hairpinning wasn't something that i enabled or specifically configured though.
it "just worked" without me having to do anything, as have all my previous routers.

again though, i'm not sure if the unifi controller has the option to set static dns entries - i would expect it does but finding the option to do so is confusing.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 06:26:37 PM »

hairpinning wasn't something that i enabled or specifically configured though.
it "just worked" without me having to do anything, as have all my previous routers.

again though, i'm not sure if the unifi controller has the option to set static dns entries - i would expect it does but finding the option to do so is confusing.

I gotta admit, I'm starting to rather dislike Ubiquiti.

So because I don't have a UniiFi Gateway they wont even let me LOOK at the settings to see if I can figure out what you need to do.  Another in a long line of issues I'm starting to rack up.

For example, I knew their firmware tended to be dodgy shortly after new product launches, but I've discovered my nanoHD is not passing ARP correctly for wireless clients so they randomly become inaccessible from the LAN.

Also when I tried to move my IoT devices from my 802.11g network on pfSense to the nanoHD and its own VLAN, I was REALLY excited as it was the first time I'd managed to get VLAN tagging working across the network.  That was for a few days until all my LIFX bulbs dropped off the network for no apparent reason.  Couldn't get them to reliably connect, switched back to pfSense and all has been solid.

Anyway back on topic, I see mention here of something that might be useful. https://community.ui.com/questions/Static-DNS-entry/0a0265a7-ec31-4091-8304-9787da328367

For controller on:
Windows: C:\Users\<user>\Ubiquiti UniFi\data\sites\default
Mac: /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/UniFi/data/sites/<site-name>/config.gateway.json
Ubuntu: /usr/lib/unifi/data/sites/default
CloudKey: /srv/unifi/data/sites/default
(or to the site-name you had configured instead of "default" if you did)
and create/edit the file config.gateway.json in your site directory with either nano or vi (both text editors)

Code: [Select]
{
    "system": {
         "static-host-mapping": {
             "host-name": {
                  "test1.localdomain": {
                         "alias": [
                                "test1"
                         ],
                         "inet": [
                           "192.168.99.99"
                       ]
                   }
              }
         }
    }
}

(By the way it's always a good habit to run a sanity check on your .json file before pushing it to the device. Simply copy & paste it to JSON Formatter & Validator)

There are many of them available, I like this one:
https://jsonformatter.curiousconcept.com/

Once the file is on the UniFi-Controller, go to Devices, click your USG, click the "Config"-icon, then "Manage Device" and pick "Provision" under Force Provisioning.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 08:35:07 PM »

the ability to manually modify json was removed with the recent UDM devices.
the UDM has a built-in cloudkey device, so it's no longer a separate device.

UDM is an all-in-one cloudley, switch, wifi ap, and router.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 10:13:50 PM »

the ability to manually modify json was removed with the recent UDM devices.
the UDM has a built-in cloudkey device, so it's no longer a separate device.

UDM is an all-in-one cloudley, switch, wifi ap, and router.

Well that's insanely stupid, if they have functionality not replicated in the UI.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 10:19:19 PM by Alex Atkin UK »