Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: High packet loss on Virgin  (Read 32576 times)

adhawkins

Re: High packet loss on Virgin
« Reply #225 on: January 15, 2021, 09:17:57 PM »

Let's see if it stays like that! Your graph is nicer than mine, but I'm doing a lot of uploading at the moment.

Andy

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #226 on: January 15, 2021, 10:28:24 PM »

Just noticed I forgot to click apply  :no:
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #227 on: January 16, 2021, 01:51:23 PM »

If it hasnt already been mentioned, I suggest either 1232 or auto for the EDNS buffer size.  1232 is aimed to be the new default for dns resolvers moving forward.

adhawkins

« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2021, 09:11:20 AM »

Just noticed I forgot to click apply  :no:
How's it looking @ronski?

Here's my latest Broadband Monitor:

Andy

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2021, 10:14:20 AM »

Still looks OK, see the graph on the previous page, it's a live graph.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

adhawkins

« Reply #230 on: January 19, 2021, 10:30:12 AM »

Looking good. A few blips like mine, but way better than it was.

My next step is to try turning 'Register DHCP clients in DNS' back on again.

Andy

Buckers365

« Reply #231 on: January 24, 2021, 09:45:14 PM »

Ok, made the change (turning off DNS forwarding mode in the DNS resolver) yesterday afternoon. Doesn't look to have been too bad since:

Anyone else fancy making the same change to see if they've fixed the issue?

Andy

Andy, I tried this after my earlier posts without noticing any improvement.  VM quality has been variable (ie appalling) since the New Year though and it's been difficult to tell whether it is my changes or VM that are making a difference.  In the last 48 hours I've started to see dropouts on an OpenVPN connection that's been working happily for over a year though so I need to revisit these changes.  I've disabled forwarder and will report back...

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #232 on: January 25, 2021, 12:08:56 AM »

Looking good. A few blips like mine, but way better than it was.

My next step is to try turning 'Register DHCP clients in DNS' back on again.

Andy

Static mapping has always been fine but dhcp leases was never fixed. https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/5413
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Buckers365

« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2021, 01:54:23 PM »

@adhawkins I've not seen any difference by disabling DNS resolver.  What has made a major difference is switching my DNS provider from Cloudflare to Quad 9.  I'm using my DNS as the monitor IP for the Virgin link and this shows that peak RTT has more than halved from ~50ms to ~20ms when I look at the PFSense status monitor. I've attached the monitor graph and circled the point where the change was made.

I'm not certain, but think I can see an improvement in the BQM. The first BQM below shows the link before I made the change and the second one is after.  For reference, I currently have the Virgin Hub in router mode:

So I'm assuming Virgin has routing problems with Cloudflare (which wasn't always the case), and these don't affect Quad9 (or Google from my quick look).  What I'm not sure is why these routing issues would affect the BQM, and how much impact they have on general web use.  Maybe some of the more knowledgeable folks on this forum can help with these questions?

Next step is to switch modem mode back on and see how the new configuration copes when broadband is subjected to load on weekdays.

(Edit: would also be good to understand which DNS folks are using when we have discussion about performance so we can compare like with like if Virgin is not routing sites correctly.)

[Moderator edited to fix the links to display the two images.]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 05:33:23 PM by burakkucat »

adhawkins

« Reply #234 on: February 15, 2021, 03:31:53 PM »

I've gone back to DNS Forwarding mode. It seemed to me that although the problem was nowhere near as bad as it had been, my connection was slightly worse with the Forwarder turned off.

Andy

adhawkins

« Reply #235 on: February 15, 2021, 03:33:16 PM »

@adhawkins I've not seen any difference by disabling DNS resolver.  What has made a major difference is switching my DNS provider from Cloudflare to Quad 9.  I'm using my DNS as the monitor IP for the Virgin link and this shows that peak RTT has more than halved from ~50ms to ~20ms when I look at the PFSense status monitor. I've attached the monitor graph and circled the point where the change was made.

I'm not certain, but think I can see an improvement in the BQM. The first BQM below shows the link before I made the change and the second one is after.  For reference, I currently have the Virgin Hub in router mode:

So I'm assuming Virgin has routing problems with Cloudflare (which wasn't always the case), and these don't affect Quad9 (or Google from my quick look).  What I'm not sure is why these routing issues would affect the BQM, and how much impact they have on general web use.  Maybe some of the more knowledgeable folks on this forum can help with these questions?

Next step is to switch modem mode back on and see how the new configuration copes when broadband is subjected to load on weekdays.

(Edit: would also be good to understand which DNS folks are using when we have discussion about performance so we can compare like with like if Virgin is not routing sites correctly.)

[Moderator edited to fix the links to display the two images.]
To my mind both of those are awful. I can't see much of an improvement between those two graphs.

Just to be clear, are you also using pfsense with the VM Hub in Modem mode?

Andy

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #236 on: February 15, 2021, 03:50:58 PM »

I bet if you gave the circuit a good 'hair cut' things would improve nicely.
Set a limiter with a bandwidth set to 70% of line speed.
The difference will be immediately apparent on your BQM graph if it corrects things.

Limiter setup:
https://forum.netgate.com/topic/112527/playing-with-fq_codel-in-2-4/814

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #237 on: February 15, 2021, 08:30:31 PM »

Since I enabled limiters I had an inconsistent problem with my Plusnet line blocking ping.

I had it working again but upgrading to 2.5.0 RC has broken it again.  In fact, the pfSense box can't ping out of the Plusnet WAN at all for some reason, even though from the LAN I can.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #238 on: February 15, 2021, 08:38:26 PM »

Since I enabled limiters I had an inconsistent problem with my Plusnet line blocking ping.

I had it working again but upgrading to 2.5.0 RC has broken it again.  In fact, the pfSense box can't ping out of the Plusnet WAN at all for some reason, even though from the LAN I can.

To fix that you need to add a floating rule (pass, quick match) as shown here:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 08:49:09 PM by underzone »

Buckers365

« Reply #239 on: February 15, 2021, 08:42:33 PM »

@adhawkins Yes, using hub in modem mode.  I think the status monitor does show a clear improvement in ping time for Quad9. I agree though the BQM is shocking and I'm keen to sort it out if it's in my control, which I have concerns about.

@underzone Interesting suggestion that I've not seen before.  I'm not too clear on how to do this from the link you posted although I can see Traffic Shaper offers these options.  I'm happy to give this a try but before I subject the family to more internet disruption would you be able to expand on what you think is the issue and why limiting bandwidth will help? A small part of me resents limiting the bandwidth I'm paying VM for unless this is an issue on my side!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

anything