Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: High packet loss on Virgin  (Read 33089 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: High packet loss on Virgin
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2020, 02:35:08 AM »

Ronski is your geoip database up to date? maxmind now needs a registration code to fetch updates.  Latest version of pfblockerng has option to input your private code in there.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2020, 06:12:37 AM »

In that case no it's not, thanks again.

I'll look into it tonight.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2020, 08:39:13 PM »

I've updated a couple of packages, and added a 'Installed Packages' widget to my dashboard, so in future hopefully I'll notice when updates are available  :-[.

I've created and applied the Maxmind licence, so presumably the database will update automatically - saw mention of the first Thursday of the month, but presumably as I've just added the licence it will update before then.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2020, 08:04:08 PM »

It seems to be behaving at the moment, thanks to everyone that helped.

Someone on the VM forums (see bottom of page 4)who also had the same issues is now OK, but apart from trying other routers they didn't make any changes and there ping graph now looks very much like mine, just a bit more low level yellow.

Fezster

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2020, 10:57:00 AM »

Wow - can't believe your issues are identical to the ones I've been facing for the past couple of months.

The only difference with my setup has been I was running pfsense virtualised (although now switched to bare metal for testing).

In particular, I thought I was going mad when I noticed whenever I woke a pc, the virgin connection would ping spike and I'd start getting packet loss. I tried all sorts of permutations to try and isolate the problem (I run quite a complex vlan setup at home), ending up with a very basic install to try and get to the bottom of the problem.

Only yesterday I noticed there are no ping spikes when running the SH3 in router mode, which then got me thinking it may be pfsense and/or a problem with virtualization and pfsense. So I've switched to bare metal pfsense now, and will report back findings. I suspect that factory resetting the hub yday may have had a positive impact? Is it possible they've tweaked the firmware quietly to resolve this issue?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2020, 11:04:57 AM »

I was having issues again yesterday, except I noticed Chrome would load webpages instantly but Firefox would sit there trying to update multiple pages. I tried various things with Firefox and then reinstalled it and it seems to have fixed it. This is certainly different than my previous problem, but it appeared the same until I checked how Chrome responded.

Fezster

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2020, 12:31:18 PM »

Was there anything specific you changed to resolve? I think I saw a post on another forum about disabling DNS pre-fetch - but that is not something I have enabled. I also do not register DHCP leases in DNS Resolver.

I'm thinking of trying a different firewall application (OPNSense maybe?) - but today at least, my BQM seems to be a lot better than it has been over the past few months.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2020, 12:35:17 PM »

I'm not convinced it was one particular setting, or just a result of fiddling, but it has improved. See the link below for the changes I made.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/High-Ping-Spikes/m-p/4226259#M225820

PS Welcome to the forums.

Fezster

« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2020, 12:54:19 PM »

Thanks - that's the post I remember seeing. The only option I had not tried was tweaking powerd, so I'll do that now. (EDIT - looks like that is disabled anyway).

As you can see, I've had a couple of spikes this morning (ignore anything before 9pm on this graph - I was trying all kinds of things). The spikes have not been crippling, though, unlike previously (not sure about the one at 1am):

« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 05:20:34 PM by Fezster »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2020, 02:35:19 PM »

I still get the odd spike like you, but it's not noticeable in normal use.

The graph was much cleaner (see this post) when using the SH3 in router mode, or the SH3 in modem mode with a Zyxel router, so there's something going on between pfSense and the SH3, but I can't work out what it is.

Our area is currently having FTTP deployed, so I may change to that if prices are good when live, or simply change to a SH4 when they become standard replacements.

Fezster

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2020, 04:24:40 PM »

I'm going to try OPNsense in the next few days - just been trying to replicate all of my firewall rules and setup.

My home network is very much dependent on my router, so I can't easily just switch stuff out. Hopefully, OPNsense doesnt exhibit the same issues (it's also based on FreeBSD).

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2020, 04:43:22 PM »

Let me know how you get on, thanks.

Fezster

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2020, 10:46:24 AM »

So it was all looking good over the weekend (only a couple of spikes - and did not cripple my internet). However, today as soon as I jumped on a Zoom call, the spikes / packet loss are back.

During the week, I use Zoom a lot for work, so looks like that is exacerbating it. I'm going to have to try Router mode for a while whilst using Zoom.

Fezster

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2020, 02:54:33 PM »

I've made 2 changes:

Disable Gateway Monitoring Action
Disable "Block bogon networks" on WAN interface

Seems to be positive so far - but it's early days.

This bug report may be relevant: https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/10414

chrisgtl

• Just arrived
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2020, 04:50:03 PM »

Watching this with interest. Also have SH3 (modem mode) with pfSense (metal). I had no end of troubles when I updated to 2.4.5 so went back to 2.4.4-p3

Things are better but still experience times of packetloss. Not sure if it is pfSense or SH3.

**LIVE**

9th April 2020 (when I first setup BQM)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 04:53:55 PM by chrisgtl »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17