Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Migrated  (Read 5156 times)

Dontshootme

• Just arrived
Migrated
« on: November 19, 2006, 07:52:49 AM »

Hi,can anybody help please?Due to an unreolvable ping issue with Tiscali they finally(after months of hassle) gave me a "Get out of jail free " MAC code.Here comes my problem.....I was on an 8 meg connection via them,granted my line/exchange will support up to 5meg,previous to this I was on an 8 meg connection.As soon as iI recieved my MAC code I started searching for another provider,however all speed tests carried out show that I can only get a 1 meg connection...the laugh is I was connected via Tiscali at time with a 6.4 meg speed.I know my line supports higher speeds through personal experience,Tiscali also had a BT engineer out who tested the line speed in my house at 6.8 meg & at the junction box...just outside the house...30 feet..ish at 6.8 meg.I have been in contact with BT & AOL to whom i switched...both keep referring me to the other...so far I have spent 2 COMPLETE days on phone going back & forth between the 2 of them.Can anyone please offer me some sort of advice or info as to wether Tiscali could have done something to my line to stop higher speeds...I really need 8 meg back.Thanks in advance

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Migrated
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 08:08:34 AM »

I doubt if any of the ISPs you tried actually carried out speed tests. They would simply have accessed the BT database, which presumably says that your line is only capable of 1Mbps. Go to www.bt.com/btbroadband and enter your telephone number in the box half way down the page. It will tell you what the BT database thinks about your line.
Notwithstanding this, and assuming that you're on a normal BT line and not Tiscali LLU, I think you should be able to migrate straight to another ISP's Max service. But this may depend on how helpful the ISP is.

Eric
  Eric

Dontshootme

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 08:26:41 AM »

Hi,I have done the BT broadband test....I was getting a result of 1 meg even while connected to Tiscali at 6.8 meg....when I moved to this house 2 years ago I had a 2 meg connection...switched to Tiscali for 8 meg....big mistake....now it seems I can only get 1 meg.All neighbours are connected with 8 meg...although exchange will handle 5 meg...all get connections of about 6 meg...as I was...all there numbers show able to connect at 5 meg on BT tester...we all come off same pole so why should mine suddenly be 1 meg...as I was having probs with Tiscali I was constantly referring to tester which always showed % meg for me..as soon as I recieved MAC code I was only showing 1 meg.This is doing my head in as all I get is sorry your ISP has to deal with this or sorry BT has to deal with this...its like banging my head against a brick wall...only more painfull!!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 12:42:13 PM »

Sometimes the BT database has errors in it, and your line may be one of those. You need to find a helpful ISP, and they're probably not going to be as cheap as Tiscali. Zen are very good, but they will cost you ?25 a month. I've heard good reports about Madasafish.

Eric
  Eric