Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dark Sky weather program gobbled up by Apple  (Read 767 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Dark Sky weather program gobbled up by Apple
« on: April 03, 2020, 10:07:41 AM »

The Dark Sky blog has announced that for this weather software Apple will become its exclusive home and they are killing all other forms of access including Android. Now I know its business but it is just another reason I personally don't like Apple and I'm not at all sure it will cause all the non Apple users to migrate to Apple products just to use it, this would be way to expensive for the majority I suspect, I think it will alienate many weather enthusiasts and I don't see it will bring loads of revenue to Apple. Its not like this software can compete with other weather programs in use for the large corporations so I think it will likely die a death eventually for lack of users, unless of course Apple pour millions of dollars into it.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Dark Sky weather program gobbled up by Apple
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 11:04:15 AM »

think you might be misunderstanding why apple bought the service.
it would have nothing to do with trying to get users to migrate to apple platforms.

it's about buying the service and using it to augment the existing weather tools within the apple platform. the app will not exist anywhere in the near future. it'll be integrated and shut down completely.

you could pour scorn on the original developers for selling out. but maybe the apple stock they got in return made them forget about the customers they previously had.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 11:13:21 AM by chenks »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Dark Sky weather program gobbled up by Apple
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 11:12:26 AM »

I guess that could be although not actually intimated at present. IBM owns the Weather Channel and Weather Underground so maybe Apple are trying to catch up.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

anything