Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT WiFi Discs & Ethernet  (Read 852 times)

jaydog

• Reg Member
BT WiFi Discs & Ethernet
« on: May 05, 2020, 06:58:24 PM »

So whilst I saw no improvement using the discs with my smart hub, I did notice something I thought was really good, but unclear on why it works?!

In my office, I have an Xbox 360 console that performs poorly via wifi. I get around 2mb on speed tests.

I plugged a disc in and wired the xbox 360 to the disc, and speed tests dramatically changed to 50mb?

Surely these discs can't act as though you're wired to the smart hub?

Any idea how this works? Thanks

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: BT WiFi Discs & Ethernet
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 08:31:19 PM »

Just guessing . . . Could the wireless in the Xbox be less capable than using one of the disks as a WiFi client device?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 01:18:17 AM »

Games consoles never have particularly great WiFi IMO and the Xbox 360 in particular depending on the model I believe only supported 2.4Ghz.

The antennas and number of antenna chains will be vastly superior in the disc so you are benefiting from much newer, faster WiFi with a stronger signal.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 09:51:14 AM »

No idea about older consoles but on my Xbox One X I consistently get around 250-300 Mbps over wifi, on a 330/50 line (router & Xbox are on different floors). No issues with 4K gaming or ping times, we even watch Sky TV & BT Sport through the Xbox using their native apps. Who needs a Sky dish?!  :lol:

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 12:32:14 PM »

Thanks everyone.

I stream my PS4 to my laptop upstairs, and the PS4 and laptop are both wireless.

I was wondering if using a disc connected to my laptop would give me a smoother connection, or if that wouldn't actually work.

Trying to find a purpose for the two discs I have as I don't really need them, but also can't sell them!

anything