Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BST vs GMT/UTC  (Read 961 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
BST vs GMT/UTC
« on: April 01, 2020, 11:20:29 PM »

I’m living on UTC, all my own machines are set to it, no changing with daylight saving BST nonsense. Janet my beloved works in BST because that’s what her tourists use in her tourist accommodation business. So I have to convert when I’m talking to her. I just got mixed up when she told me what time my pain relief would kick in; I though I would have to wait 75 mins.

It’s part of my religion, living on UTC; I’m a pastafarian. Aharrr mateys.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: BST vs GMT/UTC
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 11:22:42 PM »

I just wish we could give up this daylight savings BS.  I'd much rather just stick with UTC but it would be way too confusing, I know my mum couldn't adjust even if I could.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 11:30:05 PM »

Well I have done it, and I have got used to converting for my loved ones.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 11:46:53 PM »

It just took me 3 hours to remember to take a tablet, I don't think I could handle it. :p

Oh and I completely forgot to take my Asthma inhaler at all today.  :'(
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 12:15:32 AM »

Same here, Alex. But I have electronic reminders - on my iOS devices - to remind me to drink my coffee before it gets too cool, and a wife to remind me to take my pills, although I have to say that she is sometimes quite unreliable in respect of pill-taking; much love and she does so, so much for me every day.  :angel:  :love2:

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 12:24:13 AM »

I haven't a clue about date or time right now. nCoV19 has made such things largely meaningless.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 12:39:33 AM »

I haven't a clue about date or time right now. nCoV19 has made such things largely meaningless.

Then I prescribe a selection of various craft gins, for you to consume.

Back in the 1960s, there was a trial for staying on BST for the entire year. Totally ridiculous. As there was never a trial of staying on GMT for an entire year, I showed my displeasure by setting my watch to GMT and on that setting it has remained, ever since. As I commit this reply, my watch tells me that the time is 2339 hours.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 12:41:39 AM »

@CarlT because you’ve lost track of time due to isolation/homeworking? Lost your former usual routine?

For me of course nothing has changed. Was in bed all day and all night, trying to control pain, and still am so, unchanged.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 02:40:49 AM »

I like BST.    Means an additional hour of daylight and warmth on summer evenings.   

Who needs sunrise at 3:45 GMT?
I'd much rather have sunset at 9:20BST than 8:20GMT.   
One of my favourite things is sat in my garden on a warm summer evening with friends and a bottle of wine or two.  :drink:

BST extends a 6pm sunset until 7pm in Sept..  again I'd prefer a 06:45 to 19:00 day than a 05:45 to 18:00 day.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 06:30:56 AM »

It looks like you might get your wish. Next year the EU are to abolish DST.

I know we will no longer be in the EU by then but I expect we will also adopt the measure, if only to ease trade across the Irish border.

It will be interesting to see which time zone Spain and France opt for, especially since they only moved to GMT/BST +1 under the German invasion of WW2.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 04:46:06 PM »

I agree with kitz, I like the change in habits, just don’t like the daylight saving offset fiddling with clocks. If you want to get up at a different time then just do so. I want it all, like kitz I want lovely ‘late’ evenings but I hate getting up earlier in the morning. Janet loathes having to get up one hour earlier in the morning to make breakfasts because of BST.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 05:26:58 PM »

I don't care which we keep, I just think constantly switching is stupid, as does everyone I've ever talked to about this.

This is the UK, its not like our days are THAT consistent anyway especially in the winter, its mostly in the summer where we benefit so lock it to BST then?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 05:43:32 PM »

I agree with Alex. It would be a bit weird going over to permanent BST though. I’m not sure about the advantages of either; does anyone know?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 06:06:51 PM »

I agree with Alex. It would be a bit weird going over to permanent BST though. I’m not sure about the advantages of either; does anyone know?

See the BBC link posted above about the EU voting to abolish it, explains the reasons why it was implemented in the first place.

What are the pros and cons of summer time?

Daylight saving time (DST) - so-called summer time - has been compulsory in the EU since 2001, aimed at making the EU internal market work more smoothly and reducing energy costs.

Fewer time differences, it was argued, would facilitate cross-border trade and travel in the EU. The extra daylight hours in summer could reduce spending on artificial lighting and help outdoor leisure activities.

But the energy savings from DST have proven to be quite marginal. And some of the EU's major trading partners - among them China, Russia and Turkey - do not operate under DST.

The consultation and scientific studies suggested that the clock changes were having negative effects on people's health.

The EU Commission says studies suggest "the effect on the human biorhythm may be more severe than previously thought".

Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said "there is no applause when EU law dictates that Europeans have to change the clocks twice a year.

"Clock-changing must stop. Member states should themselves decide whether their citizens live in summer or winter time."

Under the new legislation, governments opting to make summer time permanent would adjust their clocks for the last time on the last Sunday in March 2021.

For those choosing permanent standard time - also called winter time - the final clock change would be on the last Sunday of October 2021.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 06:27:03 PM »

>  The consultation and scientific studies suggested that the clock changes were having negative effects on people's health. The EU Commission says studies suggest "the effect on the human biorhythm may be more severe than previously thought".

I agree. It wrecks me and my wife when we have to change to summer time. My old folks on the farm had to ignore it and bring it in slowly because cows don’t understand daylight saving and would not turn up for milking an hour later or earlier. In fact when they needed to be milked you cannot make them wait another hour in discomfort- it’s cruel. And if for some stupid reason you tried to start milking an hour earlier, then the cows would not have turned up yet.

> Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said "there is no applause when EU law dictates that Europeans have to change the clocks twice a year. "Clock-changing must stop. Member states should themselves decide whether their citizens live in summer or winter time."

:thumbs: :thumbs: