Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Blip - 6 sec down-up report from CQM  (Read 988 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Blip - 6 sec down-up report from CQM
« on: March 31, 2020, 06:56:07 AM »

Twice in the last few days, I’ve had 6 sec line down-up notifications from AA’s CQM alert system. This duration is way too short for real loss of sync on the DSL link ie with a retrain/reconnection (because that takes well over a minute, ~ 80s often seen), therefore I conclude it’s just a blip here, where noise has temporarily overwhelmed the error correction capabilities of the modems, and a timeout in CQM polling with PPP LCP echo requests has been exceeded. Memory is dubious here but 6 sec sounds like the timeout for polling sent upstream by my Firebrick; there’s also polling by the ISP sent downstream to poll my Firebrick here, but I can’t remember where those timing settings live.

I could lengthen the timing for the poll sent upstream. I could lengthen that for downstream too if I could find where it lives. But that is just covering up an underlying problem and I think that is bad. The link-bonding, load-splitting system will drop a link out of the bonded set temporarily and move the traffic load to other links, which is a good thing if a link is temporarily unwell.

FYI These events are incredibly rare; of the order of a couple of events per year. I assume the real fix would be to raise the target SNRM, which I really really don’t want to do as reliability is fine apart from this extremely minor observation. Target SNRM is at 3dB downstream+6dB upstream, and I cope with 3dB d/s fine. I don’t want to slow things down hugely by raising 3dB d/s to 6dB.

Am I correct in my analysis of this?