Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: After a week on a gigabit  (Read 13273 times)

busterboy

Re: After a week on a gigabit
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2020, 07:06:10 AM »

Its amazing how many I see on forums complaining that they can't download at Gigabit, or only download slightly under.

I would be happy to get 2mbps instead of the measly 1mbps I get now. :lol:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2020, 10:01:04 AM »

Busterboy: I have adsl2 lines that are 2.8 / 0.5 Mbps sync rate which equates to  2.47 / 0.44 Mbps IP PDU rate. I was frustrated with having to live with that so I bonded several lines together to get a multiple speed link. With a suitable ISP and the right router, even a single download works or upload at n times speed in both directions. I have posted many times before years back about this setup. Just in case you’re interested - It is possible to get out of a very slow situation. Using four such ADSL2 lines I now get ~10.0 / ~1.6 rates from speed testers.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:05:23 AM by Weaver »

busterboy

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2020, 10:11:21 AM »

Busterboy: I have adsl2 lines that are 2.8 / 0.5 Mbps sync rate which equates to  2.47 / 0.44 Mbps IP PDU rate. I was frustrated with having to live with that so I bonded several lines together to get a multiple speed link. With a suitable ISP and the right router, even a single download works or upload at n times speed in both directions. I have posted many times before years back about this setup. Just in case you’re interested - It is possible to get out of a very slow situation. Using four such ADSL2 lines I now get ~10.0 / ~1.6 rates from speed testers.

We were literally days away from getting our FTTP commissioned and completed until COVID-19 stopped the progress. Come June - July when work commences we shouldn't have a long wait. ;)

You can explain what bonding lines involves though, do you pay extra for two lines etc.  ???

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2020, 11:19:57 AM »

Yes, pay for n lines. I have four lines. The charging scheme I have chosen is where I pay a certain small amount for a copper line and then a certain amount for fownllad traffic according to how much download I need. Adding another line is about £30 pm can’t remember about VAT and line rental. I pay line rental included anyway (not separately to BT).

My ISP handles the downstream splitting of traffic and my router, a Firebrick FB2900, handles the upstream splitting. My lines are not all equal speed, so the traffic is split in the right fraction according to each line’s capabilities. That way you just have a single IP address and everything works at multiple speed. It’s also the cheapest way of doing it, or can be at least, as I pay just a small amount for each copper line and I have a lot of lines yet I pay only once for traffic, not n times over. This is the zero hassle route.

If you choose use two different ISPs, a router on the internet would be needed to handle the traffic splitting; without such a ‘remote’ router you would have several IP addresses at your end and single downloads would not go any faster although with multiple downloads in progress then you would see the speed benefit, but overall the value of such a system would be much more limited. If you use a capable ISP, then everything is done for you; without this, if you want fully effective bonding, then you would need to do things yourself and either park your own traffic-splitting router on the internet or you can rent the use of one from Andrews and Arnold for example.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 11:22:12 AM by Weaver »

busterboy

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2020, 11:34:07 AM »

Very informative and thank you but after struggling with this for the last 10 years I'll hang on another few weeks. :fingers:

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2020, 01:16:04 PM »

Its also worth noting that if you don't need the combined upload, you don't need to bond to get the combined download, just basic load balancing works just fine as most downloads can be multi-threaded and loading web pages naturally is.

Bonding is better as it fully combines everything, but its WAY more expensive.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2020, 11:02:11 AM »

Well unfortunately it looks like I may not be experiencing gigabit FTTP just yet (with a much higher upstream speed, which is what interests me the most). My regrade to 900/110 may have sadly hit a further delay. It was supposed to be processed yesterday as my minimum contract term for FTTPoD realistically ended yesterday (although I was told it was actually the 10th when I called the ISP today, but given the weekend and easter holidays nobody would be around to process the regrade order). I called Cerberus and the person who's managing my order isn't currently responding when I was tried to be put through to them, so I'm hoping they'll call me back later today with some good news. Obviously with COVID-19 delays are to be expected.

EDIT: Got a response, sadly bad news. There's a system issue at BT's end and is currently being raised with the product manager. Well at least I've had an update on the matter haha.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 03:15:13 PM by Ixel »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2020, 03:06:26 PM »

Bonding is better as it fully combines everything, but its WAY more expensive.

@Alex. Indeed, agreed. True bonding on a per-packet scheduling, sharing between lines is the bees’ knees as a single TCP flow will go n times faster. Web page downloads often won’t be faster without real bonding because of caching; if there are multiple objects to fetch such as images, CSS and javascript files plus the main page html content, then if they are not cached then you can do the multiple downloads in parallel, but if everything apart from the main page content is cached already, then there’s only the one TCP connection and so in that case you need to be able to speed one single flow to get an improvement.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2020, 10:26:09 PM »

Speedtest.net hosts that can handle a gigabit in my experience don't exist.

I find the Xilo server on speedtest.net handles 1 Gigabit quite well - I'm seeing 800+Mbps consistently on this server. No doubt speeds on this will plummet now, as everyone on Gigabit overloads this server  :lol:

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2020, 10:50:57 PM »

Actually seemed to be browser issue.

The app is better as is the CLI tool.

Have managed 1.4 Gbit/s from a couple of servers though they were just defaults.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2020, 03:36:28 AM »

The cli tool as you said is great as it has no browser overheads or manipulation to mess with it.

Carl like you I have a 10gbit pfSense VM on a server, and behind that is another VM connected on a virtual switch hosting some game mod files which can push over 1gbit of second traffic fed by spindles.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 03:38:55 AM by Chrysalis »

thesmileyone

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2020, 03:52:55 PM »

I have the following for you:

Speedtest.net hosts that can handle a gigabit in my experience don't exist.
The Think Broadband speedtest doesn't come close to handling a gigabit. Presumably all the other BT customers with a gigabit have overwhelmed it.
Fast.com is about the only thing that comes close.

The main cool thing about having a gigabit is that you basically can't max it out downstream.

It's not transformative. I'm not even touching the sides of the capacity. It's a good to have but really no difference noticed from 300 Mbit apart from running speed tests just now.

BT Wholesale and Openreach have nailed it in Wakefield: hasn't skipped a beat.

Probably an example of residential peering rather than speed throughput. I'm sure you can get the full 110MB/s that gigabit provides with the right protocol such as bit torrent or Plex.

Try streaming a 4K plex movie whilst downloading your favorite Linux ISO via bit torrent for example.

There's many times gigabit would be handy for me such as the above or downloading via sFTP whilst browsing even. Currently I have to limit sFTP to 3.5MB/s so I still have enough pipe left to browse web pages.

As for speedtest, Google have their own or for download speed tests you can use EU datacentre test files like this one http://mirror.mia11.us.leaseweb.net/speedtest/10000mb.bin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything