Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: After a week on a gigabit  (Read 13275 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: After a week on a gigabit
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2020, 05:58:44 PM »

Gaming doesn't really make a lot of difference.

Steam can't touch the sides, let alone PSN or XBL and the less said about Nintendo's effort the better.

Haven't tried Origin because it sucks but might give it a go.

What's the maximum you've seen Steam reach?  Bearing in mind it may be throttled right now to help home workers.

But that's just it, I can let Steam, Xbox and Playstation update while both me and my mum watch Netflix 4K and downloading a torrent. :p

Or I can play a game of "what crashes first" by cranking the number of connections up on BitTorrent and see if pfSense or the client falls over first.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2020, 08:44:23 PM »

Last I checked it couldn't reach 70 MB/s.

This was to a machine with SSDs and Ethernet connection.

Maybe I was just unlucky.

Throttling Steam would be a no-no as far as ISPs go. Only the server operators could do that.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2020, 02:14:41 AM »

That's just it, Steam are supposed to be limiting automatic updates to off-peak hours more than usual, not sure if that means they are also throttling the actual downloads or not.

Also if Steam can hit 70MB, I could easily max out Gigabit by the Xbox One downloading an update at the same time and watching Netflix 4K on my TV.  A scenario I would absolutely have done today, had I not deliberately chosen to watch content off Plex instead to avoid said scenario.

Heck, there are times when Windows is updating, Steam is updating and I want to play GTA or something off UPlay that also wants to update.  The chance of that happening or being a problem if does, is dramatically reduced with Gigabit.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 02:23:23 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2020, 11:17:51 AM »

Indeed didn't say there weren't times it would max out but they are few, far between, and brief.

95%+ of the time I don't notice the difference was I think my comment, even with all the toys in the house, and I'll run with that.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2020, 03:44:31 PM »

I bet a decently seeded torrent will max 1Gbit.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2020, 05:54:02 PM »

I bet a decently seeded torrent will max 1Gbit.

I'm kinda surprised Steam don't have a torrent option for updating games.  Or at least a way to use other PCs on the LAN that also have the game installed.

Then again Windows 10 is supposed to use other PCs on the LAN to distribute Windows Updates and I've never ONCE seen it actually do it.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2020, 02:10:10 PM »

If the bloat does not happen, it’ll be a first.

We’ve seen the same in CPU speeds, memory and disk capacity, all of which have gone up by many orders of magnitude in two or three decades.   Yet we still face the need to regularly upgrade, the more the manufacturers have provided, the more consumers have consumed.
The difference with bandwidth bloat is that lots of people will simply have no option of upgrading to a Gigabit (or even 20 or 30 meg) connection, as the technologies aren't available at their locations.

On the other hand, even on a 4 meg ADSL for most real applications, the limiting factor has been response from the remote host rather than the amount of data vs the available bandwidth. 

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2020, 02:54:27 PM »

I began my career in mainframes.   A half Megabyte of memory was not untypical, and discs that resembled top loading washing machines ranged from around 80 to 200 MB.   These machines were plenty capable, supporting many users.

I started my career at an electricity board where we do doing meter readings, payroll, stock control for the shops and a load of other systems on our two mainframes. The System 4/70 had 256K memory and the System 4/72 had a massive 384K memory. The disk drives were EDS8 and EDS20's (8MB and 20MB). Most of the processing was done tape to tape using 1/2 tape at I think 800bpi if I remember correctly.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2020, 11:17:59 PM »

Dare I say it I find myself considering VM again, especially as I can try it on the monthly contracts l although may have stopped now due to social distancing.

I feel like VDSL is getting silly, no new techs from openreach in my area,  an over eagerness to apply heavy interleaving on top of that as well, I think is enough to push me.

If cityfibre was circa £100 a month instead of circa £300 I think I would have pulled the trigger.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2020, 05:34:10 AM »

Its always tricky with VM.  I mean when they work, they work really really well.  My friends VM connection always had low latency and web pages seemed to load faster, even when my connection was technically faster.

But when it doesn't work, man their latency can be terrible.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2020, 02:28:27 PM »

If cityfibre was circa £100 a month instead of circa £300 I think I would have pulled the trigger.

Out of interest what do CityFibre sell that's available to you that costs £300 and has no massive installation charge?

Their residential FTTP is done through Vodafone only and has very little coverage and their business internet  products are sold through Entanet.

Their Ethernet pricing can be pretty insane and I think it's safe to assume you don't want dark fibre   :D

I've looked in to CityFibre in the past for a site in Edinburgh where their GPON isn't yet available and the costs were eye watering.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2020, 06:39:55 PM »

Its via one of their resellers called giganet, 1000/1000.

https://www.giga.net.uk/ and https://www.giga.net.uk/partners/

They resell FTTP from Openreach for consumer, and from cityfibre for business.  cityfibre is already in my city.

I posted a screenshot on a different thread j0hn to show proof that I could order, and the price I was quoted.  But because its a business product,, its pricing is at a business level, so over £300, and 3 year contract.

I think they are selling it FTTPoD style, so if I was in a neighbouring street that doesnt have already direct proximity, then I probably would have had an install fee.

If you really want I will give you my postcode via PM, and you can check on their checker.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 06:45:09 PM by Chrysalis »

brutos

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2020, 03:57:47 PM »

I have the following for you:

Speedtest.net hosts that can handle a gigabit in my experience don't exist.
The Think Broadband speedtest doesn't come close to handling a gigabit. Presumably all the other BT customers with a gigabit have overwhelmed it.
Fast.com is about the only thing that comes close.

The main cool thing about having a gigabit is that you basically can't max it out downstream.

It's not transformative. I'm not even touching the sides of the capacity. It's a good to have but really no difference noticed from 300 Mbit apart from running speed tests just now.

BT Wholesale and Openreach have nailed it in Wakefield: hasn't skipped a beat.

After having it since the 26th  I can concur also that its really overkill, but I don't care I still want it, and I would upgrade again if I was doing the process over.
Snr VoIP Engineer
SCCA Certified
Cisco R&S Certified.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2020, 08:14:04 PM »

Assuming no issues occur with BT Wholesale or Openreach with my regrade, I've been told the regrade will be placed on Tuesday (when my FTTPoD contract is out of the minimum term) and should have it on Wednesday in the early hours of the morning. I'm looking forward to it, assuming there's no delay. A gigabit connection (downstream) is overkill but at least there won't be a need for QoS on the downstream :D, besides I mainly want it for the higher upstream speed.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2020, 04:43:52 AM »

Its amazing how many I see on forums complaining that they can't download at Gigabit, or only download slightly under.  They seem to completely miss the point that the idea is to have more bandwidth that you'll ever need, so you basically never have any problems.

Particularly people in certain parts of the US that seem puzzled that they bought 1.5Gib and the combined ONT/router only has Gigabit ports.

If I never need to worry about QoS again I will be overjoyed.  It never really works that well on downstream anyway.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4