Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: After a week on a gigabit  (Read 13272 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
After a week on a gigabit
« on: March 29, 2020, 08:31:52 PM »

I have the following for you:

Speedtest.net hosts that can handle a gigabit in my experience don't exist.
The Think Broadband speedtest doesn't come close to handling a gigabit. Presumably all the other BT customers with a gigabit have overwhelmed it.
Fast.com is about the only thing that comes close.

The main cool thing about having a gigabit is that you basically can't max it out downstream.

It's not transformative. I'm not even touching the sides of the capacity. It's a good to have but really no difference noticed from 300 Mbit apart from running speed tests just now.

BT Wholesale and Openreach have nailed it in Wakefield: hasn't skipped a beat.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: After a week on a gigabit
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 08:41:36 PM »

Interesting, does fast.com or http://speedtest.googlefiber.net/ allow you to hit a gigabit?

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 09:08:16 PM »

I have found that this works well when testing (at work with 1Gb to the desktop):
http://speedtest2.aa.net.uk/

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 10:35:21 PM »

Well you only need a 10Gbit link to be a speedtest.net sponsor for 1Gbit testing, so LOL.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 09:43:21 AM »

Interesting, does fast.com or http://speedtest.googlefiber.net/ allow you to hit a gigabit?

Fast.com is actually the one that's capable. Google Fibre sadly no. Too far from the server, too many networks in between, latency too high so bottlenecked by TCP.

I have found that this works well when testing (at work with 1Gb to the desktop):
http://speedtest2.aa.net.uk/

Not bad. However think it's on a gigabit port - maxes just over 800 Mbit. Unsure if a Firebrick is involved somewhere but there are none with ports of more capacity than a gigabit.

Well you only need a 10Gbit link to be a speedtest.net sponsor for 1Gbit testing, so LOL.

That's going to be just fine most of the time.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 10:00:03 AM by CarlT »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 06:16:27 PM »

That's going to be just fine most of the time.

Maybe if they were dedicated ONLY to Gigabit tests, but presumably they are being used for in general at the same time.

How does speedtest.net even decide which servers to use if it doesn't know your speed prior to allocating a server?  :-\  Is the "finding a server" part some sort of pre-test and if so, I wonder if that can actually fail to allocate properly if the pre-test servers are overloaded?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 06:37:15 PM »

There must be some other purpose for Gigabit broadband, other than proving/disproving which speed testers work? :D

It's not transformative. I'm not even touching the sides of the capacity. It's a good to have but really no difference noticed from 300 Mbit apart from running speed tests just now.

More seriously, I suspect that once a critical mass of people have access, bloated services will begin to appear that use it, so bloated that they stretch gigabit it to the limits.   That will then create a ‘need’ for everybody else to have it too.   So no doubt, I’ll soon be feeling left behind.

Edit:  said ‘ethernet’, meant ‘broadband’. :blush:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 06:39:38 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 07:30:45 PM »

I believe speedtest.net looks for the lowest ping to near servers then start testing on that server, that is why if the ISP has a test server it will 99% choose it unless there is a more near server to test on.

Surely it must be cleverer than that?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 11:12:55 PM »

The main cool thing about having a gigabit is that you basically can't max it out downstream.

Ironically this is my primary motivator, I dont really need the bandwidth in terms of my impatience of downloading stuff, for me 80mbit/sec is fast enough.

But I have learnt that managing local downstream congestion is way harder than managing upstream congestion, very basic router side QoS solves upstream, not as easy for downstream, especially heavily threaded like steam which is like ddos'ing your own connection.

So been able to download of steam, without things like twitch falling apart, and without having to implement QoS would be nice.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 11:44:15 PM »

I think it being hard to hit the line speed is a very big reason for getting Gigabit IMO, although I more than likely WILL hit it, but not for long periods thanks to the speed.  ::)

I was actually going to say that not having to use QoS, or at least it never needing to kick-in downstream (where its less effective), will be an amazing thing.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 12:15:04 AM »

I liken FTTP to 1950s roads.    It was clear the trunk routes were no good so in the late 50s and 60s we built motorways.   The capacity of the motorways was so generous that our transport problems would be over for good.  Projects such as Westway into London ensured we would see a permanent end to commuter traffic jams.

And originally, the motorways were exempt from speed limits.  These roads would be so good, so fast and so safe, that speed limits were just not needed.   

Striking a chord?   ::)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 02:16:41 AM »

Fortunately PONs are easier to upgrade than widening the motorways.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 09:13:18 AM »

Fortunately PONs are easier to upgrade than widening the motorways.

Yes it has that advantage.

And that is fortunate as I still predict, pretty soon after 1Gbps becomes widely available, service providers will find a way to occupy the bandwidth and people will start looking for 10Gbps.  :)

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 12:31:52 PM »

Given they are yet to find a way to occupy 160 Mbit it might well be a while yet.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 07:39:19 PM »

I'd love to see streaming services adopting Bluray bitrates including lossless audio, but considering the claims the backhaul networks can't even handle their usual bitrates right now.....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything