Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Compensation from ISPs for downtime on internet access links?  (Read 3081 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Compensation from ISPs for downtime on internet access links?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2020, 01:36:35 PM »

The existing scheme is fine. Absolutely not to compensation for inconvenience / whatever. Get a business grade service with robust SLAs if you need that, don't bump up the price for the rest of us out of the box.

the ofcom scheme is not about SLAs, it's about making sure customers don't end up paying for a service when they are not getting it.
it would take quite a high level of ignorance to say that a cusomter shouldn't get compenstated automatically for non-delivery of service.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2020, 01:37:13 PM »

Personally I regard compulsory compensation schemes simply as insurance policies that I may not want or need, but that I am forced to pay for.

you'd be wrong in your opiniont then. but it takes all sorts i suppose.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 04:20:20 PM »

the ofcom scheme is not about SLAs, it's about making sure customers don't end up paying for a service when they are not getting it.
it would take quite a high level of ignorance to say that a cusomter shouldn't get compenstated automatically for non-delivery of service.

Err I said the existing scheme was fine and that business-type SLAs would be more appropriate if expecting compensation for inconvenience.

It would take quite a high level of ignorance to respond argumentatively to a post by disagreeing with things that weren't actually said as you hadn't read it properly.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2020, 06:03:22 PM »

I do think ISPs need to reclaim costs for things that are not their fault though, as I said earlier. What do you think?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2020, 06:34:42 PM »

I think Openreach do pay ISPs for things like missed appointments and delayed repairs.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2020, 07:48:07 PM »

I do think ISPs need to reclaim costs for things that are not their fault though, as I said earlier. What do you think?

Absolutely, but the end user shouldn't suffer for it.  ISP refunds customer for lack of service, ISP claims compensation from whoever was at fault for the lack of service.

Obviously its more tricky for partial loss of service vs total, because you have to draw the line somewhere between what is acceptable for residential and what extra (eg SLA) you are getting for a business-grade service.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2020, 12:22:27 PM »

ofcom have encouraged bargain basement service from openreach, for that reason an sla from them is unreasonable

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2020, 12:25:25 PM »

thats similar to an sla though?

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2020, 12:45:21 PM »

no, an SLA is a published and agreed process for maintaining a certain level of service.
the automatic compensation scheme is simply to compensate cusomter automatically for downtime. it doesn't stipulate how long it should take for anything to get fixed.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2020, 07:19:31 PM »

it doesn't stipulate how long it should take for anything to get fixed.

Yes it does. It says 2 full working days. If it takes longer, then you get the compensation for the delayed repair, because the repair took longer than it should have. It's not automatic compensation for all downtime, it's automatic compensation for repairs that take longer than they should have taken.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2020, 08:21:33 PM »

Yes it does. It says 2 full working days. If it takes longer, then you get the compensation for the delayed repair, because the repair took longer than it should have. It's not automatic compensation for all downtime, it's automatic compensation for repairs that take longer than they should have taken.

Its not compensation though, its a refund for lost service.

An SLA will usually involve an actual priority on getting things fixed and potentially real compensation for lost business, etc.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2020, 08:32:20 PM »

Why isn't it compensation? How can it be a refund, who pays £8 per day?

Again, the compensation isn't for the lost service. It's for it not being fixed as quickly as it should have been.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2020, 09:07:06 PM »

no, an SLA is a published and agreed process for maintaining a certain level of service.
the automatic compensation scheme is simply to compensate cusomter automatically for downtime. it doesn't stipulate how long it should take for anything to get fixed.

To me though, a automatic compensation for downtime, is akin to an uptime SLA.

Who pays for this compensation? if its the CP's no problem from me but as stated by Carl they would likely up their prices so ultimately customers pay for it, but I dont think it should be openreach as they are heavily cost controlled by ofcom, to a level that encourages the practices we have now.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2020, 09:22:40 PM »

Its not compensation though, its a refund for lost service.

An SLA will usually involve an actual priority on getting things fixed and potentially real compensation for lost business, etc.

of course it's compenstation. it's not a pro-rata refund.
use your head before saying something!

it's not an SLA, it's an automatic compensation scheme.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2020, 09:35:13 PM »

of course it's compenstation. it's not a pro-rata refund.
use your head before saying something!

it's not an SLA, it's an automatic compensation scheme.

Sorry, I misunderstood how it works.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything