Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Line 4 fault today  (Read 1939 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Line 4 fault today
« on: March 27, 2020, 07:01:50 PM »

My line 4 has now failed with a battery contact fault today at midday. I was asleep and didn’t notice the alert message until too late in the day, so I didn’t email my ISP (AA) in time. Mrs Weaver got an SMS alert about it too but she didn’t notice it until much later. And now it’s the weekend coming so it’s going to be down until Monday. AA are very good though, work very fast; they pick up an email at 8:00 and get Openreach out within a few hours. Why couldn’t it have failed a bit earlier ? >:(

I just wish there was a way of getting Openreach to do a systematic review of the entire length of the lines; inspect every joint. They need to increase the reliability of the whole thing at the moment. Or better, replace the whole lost with fibre, of course; the most needful case on account of poor reliability and slow performance.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Line 4 fault today
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 08:02:39 PM »

I'll suggest that you send an e-mail message to A&A, reporting the fault, regardless of the time and day. I understand that they are all working from home, so there is a possibility that your report will be read . . . Who knows what might then occur?  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 10:05:36 PM »

Agreed. Done so. There are staff around on Saturday - I forgot - but only for a few hours. Since they are all working from home now there might even be more availability, who knows. A lot of times staff could be found lurking on IRC in their own time.

And on another topic: Another outage tonight because Janet accidentally pulled out the wrong ethernet cable and disconnected the firebrick from the modems. This was when I was flashing a new modem with Johnson’s latest (Feb) custom firmware with inbuilt stats-webserver (beautiful software thanks once again Theo). I wanted the firebrick to be unplugged from the main switch so it did not act as a dhcp server just in case this might confuse the new modem plugged into the main switch, which I was getting Janet to hole-poke reset for me.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 11:30:22 AM »

AA has booked Openreach- they’re coming out on Monday.

[Moderator edited to remove a lot of white space from the end of this post.]
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 04:28:43 PM by burakkucat »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 04:27:16 PM »

I guess that is the best that can be done -- repair the next working day.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 05:16:46 PM »

I really wish Openreach worked all weekend; maybe with staff who volunteer for weekend duties as it isn’t fair to impose that on workers who have families and want to synchronise their time off with all their other family members. And maybe with paying overtime too. With things as they are, it means what three days downtime if you get a fault on a Friday. Devalues their enhanced / priority repair time deal with its supposed shorter time-to-fix. Didn’t someone say something about a ‘four hours to call-out, or even to-fix’ deal with BT? In an earlier thread? That would mean there must be some Openreach staff on call to come out at crazy antisocial times. I don’t know how OR attracts staff to do that kind of work.

Anyway, I would like a “fix same day if before x time, or else next day” guaranteed fix service, regardless of what day of the week it is. I would be happy to pay for that within reason. I used to pay an extra £10 (or £12, VAT[?]) per line per month for enhanced priority repair or whatever it’s called but in the end AA effectively talked me out of it. And talked themselves out of some money if they make a profit on reselling the service bought from BT. AA said there really wasn’t any speed of response improvement to be had although I don’t understand the reasoning but I just trust their recommendation. I see their point though as AA put in the fault report to BT very early in the morning, starting work themselves at 8:00, and then they routinely get OR engineers to me around mid-day.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 05:29:45 PM »

Openreach do work all weekend though not for xDSL broadband faults.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 07:55:05 PM »

Understood.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 06:45:55 AM »

BT OR came out at 10:30 this morning and it was fixed by 11:30. Superb job by AA and Openreach.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 12:17:02 PM »

i had a sunday engineer for voice fault once who then on his own whim fixed a dsl issue right after saving hassle of raising a broadband fault

never had a same day call out though, i assumed you had those due to enhanced repair.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 12:45:49 PM »

AA talked me out of enhanced repair - iirc they said there was no point because it’s a business line, but my memory is extremely flaky on this.

I didn’t know that one can get Sunday engineers Chrys.

This seems to be the general pattern for me, AA books Openreach really early, around 08:00, and they are out within a few hours.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 02:14:53 AM »

It might be because your lines are business which in itself probably gives some kind of higher priority over consumer lines?
Also could be area specific.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 03:54:15 PM »

I think the former was what they were saying. Saved me wasting £12 pm per line anyway.

Btw I had some questions about AA’s COVID-19 measures page so I emailed them. I got a free units top-up without even asking for it - I’m on the ‘units’ tariff. I didn’t understand what was supposed to happened for units users and I thought they had just been forgotten. I was very wrong.

anything