Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: O2 ‘zero-rating’ access to selected public help websites  (Read 1979 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
O2 ‘zero-rating’ access to selected public help websites
« on: March 26, 2020, 04:25:36 PM »

Regarding the article https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/03/covid-19-o2-uk-zero-rates-data-usage-on-help-websites.html

How does O2 make this work? Do they know the many IP addresses of all these websites’ servers -no, presumably, especially because if CDNs. Are they snooping on your access then, pulling metadata from your traffic ? And I wouldn’t be happy about them snooping at L4, at the http level.

Hopefully then you’re using a VPN so as to prevent such possible O2 snooping. You could say a good reason not to use O2 otherwise?

My wife uses EE on her iPhone. Perhaps I need an iOS VPN software component on that machine then?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: O2 ‘zero-rating’ access to selected public help websites
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 03:59:08 PM »

UPDATE 1:53pm

Just to confirm that O2 zero-rate on a HTTP/SSL domain basis only, which means any third-party content that may be pulled into a website when it’s rendered will still be eating into your data allowance. Most websites pull in remote content via remote CDNs, JQuery, YouTube, Advertising etc. All of that can add up but most web browsers do tend to cache many repeated resources (javascript files etc.) after the first load.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything