Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: slow speeds during evening and night time.  (Read 1675 times)

neil

• Reg Member
slow speeds during evening and night time.
« on: March 24, 2020, 06:40:43 PM »

Hi,

I am facing this issue of high pings packet loss and slow speeds during evening and night time everyday. Is it only bandwidth issue of my local MSAG or is there issue from local exchange? How i can check it?
All i can stream is YouTube in 1080p without any issue. But other websites and downloads are very slow as low as 50KB/s for downloads. Speed test shows slow speeds to international server and high pings.
Everything starts coming to normal after 12am-1am at night.
VDSL FTTC 35/18

nfxcr3w

Re: slow speeds during evening and night time.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 07:08:32 PM »

Hi,

I am facing this issue of high pings packet loss and slow speeds during evening and night time everyday. Is it only bandwidth issue of my local MSAG or is there issue from local exchange? How i can check it?
All i can stream is YouTube in 1080p without any issue. But other websites and downloads are very slow as low as 50KB/s for downloads. Speed test shows slow speeds to international server and high pings.
Everything starts coming to normal after 12am-1am at night.

That sounds like Congestion either a hot SVLAN i had this issue before with BT about 2 years ago they could never find the cause of the issue so i managed to leave without breaking my contract. But since i went back to them it seems to have sorted itself out since they upgraded my green box with a extra one for more lines. Mine use to happen around 11pm and would go back to normal around 3pm every night if you got a good ISP maybe they will be better at diagnosing the issue.
BT FTTC @3db 80/20 Zyxel VMG1312-B10A bridged + 1508 MTU + OpenWrt 19.07.2 Huawei Cab

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 08:01:28 PM »

That sounds like Congestion either a hot SVLAN i had this issue before with BT about 2 years ago they could never find the cause of the issue so i managed to leave without breaking my contract. But since i went back to them it seems to have sorted itself out since they upgraded my green box with a extra one for more lines. Mine use to happen around 11pm and would go back to normal around 3pm every night if you got a good ISP maybe they will be better at diagnosing the issue.
hot SVLAN?
VDSL FTTC 35/18

nfxcr3w

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 09:37:10 PM »

hot SVLAN?

This is what I found to what refers as a "Hot SVLAN" it means there is congestion of the network bandwidth that customers share from your cabinet/exchange. I'm still learning from my experiences when it comes to this soo only take it as a pinch of salt I'll leave it to the more experience Kitzens here but when you mentioned slow downloads in the evening it sounded exactly what I was getting 2 years ago apologises if I didn't explain it clearer I'm still new to all this myself but with the Kitz forum it's teaching me a lot and with my personal experience.
BT FTTC @3db 80/20 Zyxel VMG1312-B10A bridged + 1508 MTU + OpenWrt 19.07.2 Huawei Cab

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 10:36:22 PM »

CVLAN -- Customer Virtual Local Area Network
SVLAN -- Service Virtual Local Area Network

CVLAN and SVLAN

IEEE 802.1ad
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 11:23:17 PM »

So in case of BT as nfxcr3w said, is the problem in that case be related to BT as a service provider (ISP) only? so other ISPs (WBC) may have a better service, or this "VLAN" (do not know what it should be called) are using the same one "or same BT equipment" so in that case all ISPs will have the same problem as BT.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 12:32:33 AM »

We must remember that Neil lives in Pakistan. So there can be subtle differences in service provisioning from that which we are familiar, be that of Egypt or of the UK, for example.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 12:54:00 AM »

here speed testing during evening and at night
VDSL FTTC 35/18

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 12:57:46 AM »

This guy is in Pakistan so I'm not sure we can transpose experiences in the UK to him.

If YouTube is okay and everything else is not points to a capacity issue out of Pakistan to the rest of the world, not helped by testing to Islamabad off peak and Paris at peak.

Stick to one server for testing.
Check other forums for if there's a capacity issue out of the country as a whole.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:01:32 AM by CarlT »

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 12:59:11 AM »

here is speed test in the morning 6am
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 01:00:29 AM »

This guy is in Pakistan so I'm not sure we can transpose experiences in the UK to him.
sure you guys can same technology same same kind of equipment. just slower speed pkgs
VDSL FTTC 35/18

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 01:03:03 AM »

sure you guys can same technology same same kind of equipment. just slower speed pkgs

No, we can't. Our network is arranged in a certain way and we have no shortage of capacity out of our country. Many countries in the world do have a shortage of capacity going international.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 01:03:48 AM »

when my isp was installing msag i heard them saying, subscriber card capable of supporting 64 numbers. Is that what you guys are calling Hot SVLAN?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:06:35 AM by neil »
VDSL FTTC 35/18

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 01:04:11 AM »

Nope.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 01:05:37 AM »

If YouTube is okay and everything else is not points to a capacity issue out of Pakistan to the rest of the world, not helped by testing to Islamabad off peak and Paris at peak.

Stick to one server for testing.
Check other forums for if there's a capacity issue out of the country as a whole.
I heard YouTube has local CDN that's why no problem for it
VDSL FTTC 35/18
Pages: [1] 2

anything