Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can FTTC cope if people move from ADSL2+ ?  (Read 1458 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Can FTTC cope if people move from ADSL2+ ?
« on: March 22, 2020, 06:16:13 PM »

I'm making a couple of assumptions that I'm not sure is correct, so if I'm wrong then correct me.

It's my understanding that OR is trying to move people from ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+ lines mainly on to FTTC.

So my question is, is there enough capacity in the current FTTC cabinets to be able to support all those additional lines?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Can FTTC cope if people move from ADSL2+ ?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 06:40:56 PM »

I'd hazard a guess at no, presumably why they have been adding sub-cabinets all over the place.

One thing is for sure, even if there are enough physical ports, speeds are going to drop dramatically for everyone thanks to crosstalk.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 07:04:44 PM »

It's my understanding that OR is trying to move people from ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+ lines mainly on to FTTC.

True, but not quite that simple.

OpenReach have had offers running since FTTC launched to try encourage ISP's to move customers from ADSL to FTTC.
They continue to have such offers in place.

It's BT retail specifically who are mass migrating their own customers to FTTC for free.

OpenReach continue to encourage take up of FTTC as normal, as should be expected.

OpenReach don't own the ADSL DSLAM'S/MSAN's
They generate revenue from FTTC customers as they own the FTTC cabinets.

BT Wholesale own/run much of the ADSL kit in exchanges.
LLU providers like Sky and Talktalk own the rest of the ADSL kit and can continue to sell as much ADSL as they like.

So my question is, is there enough capacity in the current FTTC cabinets to be able to support all those additional lines?

Nope, definitely not.
OpenReach's FTTP rollout will help with capacity by moving users off the FTTC cabinets.
The same can be said of Virgin and other ALT nets FTTP builds.

I'd hazard a guess at no, presumably why they have been adding sub-cabinets all over the place.

One thing is for sure, even if there are enough physical ports, speeds are going to drop dramatically for everyone thanks to crosstalk.

Speeds won't drop dramatically.
Crosstalk stops having such a big impact after it reaches a certain level.

No doubt there will still be a drop in sync for many but it becomes less and less as subscriber numbers reach a certain level.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 04:15:00 AM »

J0hn, what happens about charging when BT Retail has moved someone from ADSL to FTTC ?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 04:37:26 AM »

I would guess instead of BT Retail paying BT Wholesale for both an ADSL product and backhaul they pay OpenReach for a VDSL2 product and continue to pay BT Wholesale for the backhaul.

Either way the money stays within BT Group.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 06:23:12 AM »

Sorry, no I meant charging the end user. I didn’t explain properly.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 03:08:11 PM »

Nothing. Same hub, same everything else. User gets a disconnect and is back on VDSL instead of ADSL. Same price, different code within the billing system I imagine.