Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: highest priority  (Read 3910 times)

neil

• Reg Member
highest priority
« on: March 21, 2020, 03:05:02 PM »

I have tp link router archer c7 v1 router and i want to config it so my PC gets highest priority for gaming. Someone please help me set it up.
here is the emulator for its settings please guide me.
https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-c7/v1/#Emulators
VDSL FTTC 35/18

mrk26

• Reg Member
Re: highest priority
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 04:13:12 PM »

I can't see any QoS settings there so not sure how you want to prioritise your pc  ???

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 04:19:46 PM »

I can't see any QoS settings there so not sure how you want to prioritise your pc  ???
yes that's why i posted here if there is any way around
VDSL FTTC 35/18

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 04:20:20 PM »

As per @mrk26 I can't see any QOS settings available (which is not uncommon on consumer grade kit). The only thing you appear to have is bandwidth control to limit how much of the available bandwidth certain IP ranges can grab. That is rather a blunt instrument as it will limit them even if there is spare bandwidth available.
 :(
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 04:23:26 PM »

As per @mrk26 I can't see any QOS settings available (which is not uncommon on consumer grade kit). The only thing you appear to have is bandwidth control to limit how much of the available bandwidth certain IP ranges can grab. That is rather a blunt instrument as it will limit them even if there is spare bandwidth available.
 :(
what if i install open source software hmm i forgot its name on my router?
VDSL FTTC 35/18

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 04:36:42 PM »

https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c7-1750

Great firmware available.

I'm not sure your reasons for prioritising your PC above all others, but properly configured SQM will have everyone on the network happy, with no lag spikes because a fellow user starts watching netflix.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 04:37:10 PM »

yeah that's why i haven't configured it so far
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 04:38:35 PM »

I'm not sure your reasons for prioritising your PC above all others, but properly configured SQM will have everyone on the network happy, with no lag spikes because a fellow user starts watching netflix.
yes openwrt thank you. Is my modem compatible with it?
VDSL FTTC 35/18

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 04:50:52 PM »

yes openwrt thank you. Is my modem compatible with it?

I have not tried your specific hardware, but from the table in the page linked, the Archer C7 AC1750 v1 is supported but without 5ghz wifi... guess that might be a deal breaker, but its up to you to decide.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 06:19:41 PM »

Hello Neil, there is a way to bypass the not existing QOS feature in the router... so the idea is to specify certain IP addresses for other devices connected to the router by MAC address (except your gaming pc) then putting a limit to the "other devices IPs" for download/upload speeds like 100% (of download/upload speed) for your PC and if other devices are connected your PC would get 75% and 25% for other devices (75% and 25% are just as ex.) this would grant your PC either 100% or 75% so other devices can not eat the speed to the limit where gaming is not operational.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 06:43:26 PM »

Hello Neil, there is a way to bypass the not existing QOS feature in the router... so the idea is to specify certain IP addresses for other devices connected to the router by MAC address (except your gaming pc) then putting a limit to the "other devices IPs" for download/upload speeds like 100% (of download/upload speed) for your PC and if other devices are connected your PC would get 75% and 25% for other devices (75% and 25% are just as ex.) this would grant your PC either 100% or 75% so other devices can not eat the speed to the limit where gaming is not operational.
ok thanks I installed openwrt but and now i am trying to config it. Can you or anyone else guide me to config it properly. I am also using iptv on please help me config it
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 06:56:04 PM »

It depends how IPTV is being delivered, was it working on the original firmware?

In my opinion, the best place to start for QoS is https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/traffic-shaping/sqm as that will reduce buffer bloat (increase in latency when your connection is maxed out).  You can then work on the priorities once this is working.

The Archer C7 is a little under-powered, but I only had a problem with that trying to get a good speed out of 5Ghz WiFi, which you already lost anyway due to the v1 5Ghz chip not being supported, so it shouldn't be an issue.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 06:58:14 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 06:59:12 PM »

can you please tell me to how to config SQM and how to use IPTV on it?
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 07:26:59 PM »

It depends how IPTV is being delivered, was it working on the original firmware?

In my opinion, the best place to start for QoS is https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/traffic-shaping/sqm as that will reduce buffer bloat (increase in latency when your connection is maxed out).  You can then work on the priorities once this is working.

The Archer C7 is a little under-powered, but I only had a problem with that trying to get a good speed out of 5Ghz WiFi, which you already lost anyway due to the v1 5Ghz chip not being supported, so it shouldn't be an issue.
yes IPTV was working with original tplink firmware without any issue i just plugged Ethernet cable for smart tv box and it was working
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 07:35:44 PM by neil »
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2020, 07:34:18 PM »

in SQM settings do i need to put download speeds with iptv 20427kbps or without smart tv? it was 177331kbps
VDSL FTTC 35/18
Pages: [1] 2