Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Relating to News Item: "AAISP launches Faster FTTP Broadband Plans"  (Read 3419 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Relating to News Item: "AAISP launches Faster FTTP Broadband Plans"
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2022, 06:47:56 PM »

Agrees with everything that Reformed just said.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2022, 08:34:13 PM »

We’re having this argument because I will continue to make the case that shilling for an ISP doesn’t make it good. AAISP is ludicrously overpriced.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2022, 09:38:03 PM »

For the home owners who dont care about long contract commits and geeky aspects of service A&A I guess serves no purpose, but there is a market, else they wouldnt exist.  I was able to sign up to VDSL with a 1 month contract.

In regards to pricing, when I left sky, the difference in price to AAISP was within £1.  The major ISPs when they were requiring landline services, if you wasnt on a artificially priced new customer or retentions deal they werent much dissimilar.  Of course now they have moved on from voice finally the gap has widened again, but it will close again as every year we have circa 5-10% rises from the big boys.

Time will tell how well FTTP works on AAISP, will they have the same issues Zen has or will the price premium yield a better service.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 09:41:39 PM by Chrysalis »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2022, 10:20:49 PM »

@GigabitEthernet

Care to answer these questions?

Do you have home and contents insurance? If so do you also think that's a waste of money, paying out extra for the security that gives in case something goes wrong?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2022, 10:30:44 PM »

For the home owners who dont care about long contract commits and geeky aspects of service A&A I guess serves no purpose, but there is a market, else they wouldnt exist.

Time will tell how well FTTP works on AAISP, will they have the same issues Zen has or will the price premium yield a better service.

Thought you wrote under 'Hurray' on the other place.

It's pretty rare for a residential lease to be shorter than a year. Home ownership status not really an issue.

No place for those not of a geeky mindset indeed. Right now I'm not bothered about static v6 space especially let alone some random buying their WiFi.

Obviously a small market there. I'm not sure what these issues Zen apparently has with FTTP are? Neither my BT Wholesale or Plexus services have given cause for complaint?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2022, 10:54:22 PM »

I think he's referring to all the "I'm not getting 900Mb/s 24/7" posts on TBB.
Zen seem to have more complaints than most other providers over there.

Although nobody is rushing out their way to post their positive experience so I'm not convinced Zen actually have a problem.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2022, 11:13:00 PM »

TBB is quite the echo chamber sadly, you still see posts saying they wont go with Zen because they had a single-threaded performance issue years ago.

Although I will admit I have a bias against Origin Broadband because their network underperformed and they went through so many infrastructure changes that never seemed to improve it much.  But then again, if they were dirt-cheap for a backup, I wouldn't completely discount them.

When you look at the positive Zen posts I think it says a lot that they are willing to move people from TTB backhaul to Openreach, if you have a performance issue in your area, despite it costing them more money.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 11:15:20 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2022, 05:33:36 PM »

Thought you wrote under 'Hurray' on the other place.

It's pretty rare for a residential lease to be shorter than a year. Home ownership status not really an issue.

No place for those not of a geeky mindset indeed. Right now I'm not bothered about static v6 space especially let alone some random buying their WiFi.

Obviously a small market there. I'm not sure what these issues Zen apparently has with FTTP are? Neither my BT Wholesale or Plexus services have given cause for complaint?

A year isnt that bad, my point was AAISP dont seem to artifically extend their contract lengths longer than the wholesaler minimum.

On FTTP most contracts appear to be 2-3 years, I could only find one on BT retail that was 12 months which was better than other providers who had no 12 month FTTP contracts. (AAISP now also 12 months), Ofcom's response to my query on that one was they only require one package to be available at 12 months then the ISP is compliant.  They didnt respond that 4 ISP's I gave them had zero FTTP 12 month packages available.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2022, 01:15:48 PM »

We’re having this argument because I will continue to make the case that shilling for an ISP doesn’t make it good. AAISP is ludicrously overpriced.
When we moved to A&A it cost less than remaining with Plusnet, and much less than Zen. That was mainly due to being on 20CN from a "Market 1" exchange, meaning that none of the special offers were available.  AA and BT seemed to be the only ISPs that didn't inflate their prices on that basis.

But as someone already commented, it would be nice if I could get a lower price in exchange for a lower data allowance.  I don't need anything like 500Gig per month.
Pages: 1 2 [3]