Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Orange broadband speed really bad, please help  (Read 3742 times)

joker1981

• Just arrived
Orange broadband speed really bad, please help
« on: July 12, 2008, 09:46:47 AM »

Hi all,  I subscribe to oranges 8 meg package and usually get speeds aroung 4-6 meg. I was quite happy with this until a few weeks ago when i checked my speed with broadband speed checker and my speed had decreased significantly to 267kbps. After a few hours at this speed i rang orange and was told to delete my cookies and after arguing they eventually agreed to perfom a line check (all this took about 10 phone calls to them).

I the end orange said there was nothing wrong with my line and it must have been interference? Anyway a couple of days later it all seemed to come good again so i was happy.

Unfortunatly i just came back from my holidays and the same has happened again :(
 I am getting speeds of 300kbps and i was hoping that someone may be able to help me fix this please ?

If its just one of those things i can wait a couple of days but i was wondering if anyone ele has had the same problem - in particular with orange!

here are the stats which i took from my bt voyager router.

Line Mode G.dmt   Line State Show Time 
 Latency Type Interleave   Line Up Time 00:11:08:40 
 Line Coding Trellis On   Line Up Count 4 

Statistics Downstream Upstream 
 Line Rate 544 448 
 Noise Margin 11.4 dB  15.0 dB   
 Line Attenuation 14.5 dB  9.0 dB   
 Output Power 12.4 dBm  16.1 dBm   
 K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 18 15 
 R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 16 16 
 S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 8 8 
 D (interleaver depth) 4 4 
 Super Frames 2359520  2359518   
 Super Frame Errors 11403  22   
 RS Words 20055926  20055903   
 RS Correctable Errors 1299648  77655   
 RS Uncorrectable Errors 20093  0   
 HEC Errors 7246  0   
 OCD Errors 0  0   
 LCD Errors 0  0   
 ES Errors 0  0 

thanks

Allison :'(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Orange broadband speed really bad, please help
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 11:49:22 AM »

Hi Allison and welcome.

I'm afraid it looks as though your line has gone noisy. With such a low attenuation you should be connecting at the full 8 Mbps speed, but you're only connecting at 544 kbps. You're getting quite a lot of errors too.

This could be a line fault (despite what Orange told you), it could be something wrong with your own internal wiring, or it could be electrical interference either inside or outside your house. Have a read of this and the associated pages to see if any of that helps, and feel free to ask more questions. :)
  Eric

joker1981

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 09:09:44 AM »

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Although i only managed as far as unplugging my phone from the main socket in my house the problem seems to have improved overnight. I must say that it did not improve immediatly but it has cured itself overnight.

I also switched off my BT Voyager 2100 and unplugged it for 10 minutes.

I am a little concerned that there is still a slight problem and that unplugging the router and m phone had little to do with my improvement? and as you said if i should be getting speeds of 8meg, i am still a long way away from that  ???

Here are a fresh set of readings from my router (there doesnt seem to be any errors this time).

Latency Type Interleave   Line Up Time 00:13:56:51 
 Line Coding Trellis On   Line Up Count 2 

Latency Type Interleave   Line Up Time 00:14:03:55 
 Line Coding Trellis On   Line Up Count 2 

Line Rate 7904 448 
 Noise Margin 12.9 dB  22.0 dB   
 Line Attenuation 14.5 dB  9.0 dB   
 Output Power 12.3 dBm  19.8 dBm   
 K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 248 15 
 R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 20 16 
 S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 1 8 
 D (interleaver depth) 64 4 
 Super Frames 2978218  2978216   
 Super Frame Errors 0  0   
 RS Words 405037738  25314836   
 RS Correctable Errors 18  0   
 RS Uncorrectable Errors 0  0   
 HEC Errors 0  0   
 OCD Errors 0  0   
 LCD Errors 0  0   
 ES Errors 0  0 

Allison

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 09:45:08 AM »

That looks like a near perfect result. When I said that you should get the full 8 Mbps I wasn't taking note of the fact that your connection is interleaved, which usually chops a little off the maximum achievable.

One possible suspect is your ADSL filters. If unplugging the phone really was what made the improvement, then this may be due to a faulty or inadequate filter. I think it would be worth getting new good quality filters such as these.. You may find that reconnecting the phone brings the problems back, in which case you can be pretty confident that the filters are the problem.

I don't think that unplugging the router will have changed things, unless you happened to have a poorly connected lead or something like that.

Eric

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 12:41:45 AM »

The errors were the problem, did you get the problem after a thunderstorm ?

If you have a microfilter with a bt logo then a good giveaway is if you look in the socket for the telephone on the filter you may be able to see part of a black cube inside, this should be a matt finish, if the black bit is glossy then it's had a lightning surge go though an the ferrous coil has melted and quickly reset if so, bin it and get a replacement. Other microfilters don;t have the coil visible this way so you cant tell without opening the filter up and theres not many types where this is possible without destroying it.

if you can see a brownish or yellow component then it's ok if these are shiny (unless it's coffee :-X sorry had to say that, refers to another string  ;))