Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Covid 19 Will The Internet Cope ?.  (Read 3069 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Covid 19 Will The Internet Cope ?.
« on: March 17, 2020, 08:51:00 PM »

With all the people working from home will the internet cope with the extra stain ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: Covid 19 Will The Internet Cope ?.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 09:13:15 PM »

MS Teams very sluggish today
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 10:00:44 PM »

I suspect the daytime ‘strain’ on ISP networks from home working will be a drop in the ocean compared to the evening/weekend strain from gaming and streaming.

There may of course be a employers who automatically assume that just because one or two people have worked from home in the past, the entire workforce will be able to do so.  That assumption may be flawed if the corporate networks/VPNs prove to have insufficient bandwidth.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 01:41:58 PM »

The Internet as a whole will cope fine.

Company VPNs and cloud services may not.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 04:23:58 PM »

With all the people working from home will the internet cope with the extra stain ?.
Might depend on how many 'take a break' by streaming video?
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 04:40:08 PM »

Might depend on how many 'take a break' by streaming video?

I did read somewhere that game servers were seeing daytime peaks they never saw before. ::)

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 07:46:34 PM »

Hah. Just wait until after Friday.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 08:44:56 PM »

As 7lm says, a bunch of RDP traffic, SQL connections or Excel save/loads are nothing compared to an evening’s 4K/HDR Netflix streams.

My place has ~twice yearly disaster simulations with everyone working from home. Quite fun to get a text message at 5am saying “THIS IS A DR TEST. THE OFFICE HAS BEEN CLOSED DUE TO AN INCIDENT. WORK FROM HOME”.

So our VPN’s been solidly tested. We’re now 2 days in to working from home and it’s going really quite well.  Microsoft Teams is actually *very* good.  Helped by our per-department ‘silliness’ channels where we get to keep up the camaraderie and memes.  Our little after-work clubs are carrying on.  Wednesday’s yoga session was apparently well attended. Friday whisky club have arranged to all videoconference in for a few home-based drinks.

One of our guys has a housemate with pretty severe symptoms, so we make sure we check in on him and keep him entertained.

Managers have told us just to pull together and keep going, but look after each other too. Lovely bunch of people.

YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 10:11:02 PM »

Good for you, displaced.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 12:54:38 AM »

One of my friends occasionally works from home, but as from this week far more staff are home working.
She said the VPN has been a nightmare today and so they've asked that if from tomorrow certain people wont login until after mid-day  :D  Ooops! 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 08:52:15 AM »

I saw a suggestion today that the video streaming services ought to stop higher quality.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 09:14:27 AM »

Company other half works for is now working from home.   But before the order was given they had a trial day, to see if it worked.   

VPN held up fine, main problem was that people who’d never worked from home before didn’t necessarily have the right software and configuration.  I think that was all sorted quickly in the couple of days they were back at work.

I’m not sure what is the strategy of their IT dept for remotely fixing broken laptops as and when they inevitably occur..?

Big impact for me is, she’s occupied the dining table as her desk.  Anytime I speak out loud, or walk past, I need to remember that the rest of her virtual office can see and hear me. :D

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 09:18:18 AM »

I saw a suggestion today that the video streaming services ought to stop higher quality.

I have no idea who made that suggestion but it's absolutely unnecessary. Where did that come from?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 10:12:33 AM »

It's been reported in many places, but it seems to stem from some idiot at the EU

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0319/1124056-video-streaming-platforms/

Shame they don't realise it's the companies VPN's and networks that most likely can't cope, I doubt most were designed with everyone working from home in mind.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 10:40:30 AM »

Hi

I am just going to a client local to me, but is nationwide to setup vpn and remote working for next week

This office only uses 2 x adsl2+ lines which are approx 2mb down and 700kb up

There is nothing other then this available and no likelyhood of anything faster in the current long term

I would not want to be one of those remote workers as the office strains at the moment before remote working but the only good thing is the broadband is stable with no real errors

Many thanks

John
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything