Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Covid 19 Will The Internet Cope ?.  (Read 3087 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Covid 19 Will The Internet Cope ?.
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2020, 08:40:14 PM »

This office only uses 2 x adsl2+ lines which are approx 2mb down and 700kb up

There is nothing other then this available and no likelyhood of anything faster in the current long term

Migrate those folks to cloud applications ASAP and they can work from home indefinitely as their connectivity will be far superior to that stuff.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2020, 09:56:25 PM »

Hi

@carlt - they already use cloud with O365!

The issue is they use computers not laptops and company policies restrict home use - but this has been relaxed due to Coronavirus.

However, after a day or 2, I cannot see what they can do remotely given their sector of trade!

Many thanks

John

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2020, 06:00:50 PM »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2020, 06:07:41 PM »

Some interesting stats: https://newsroom.bt.com/the-facts-about-our-network-and-coronavirus/

I don’t really like forums that have ‘thanks’ buttons.   But this is one occasion I may have used it. :)

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2020, 07:04:48 PM »

in the morning it is working fine but in the evening it is very sluggish and slow speeds and lots of pkt loss
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:42:07 PM by neil »
VDSL FTTC 35/18

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2020, 07:31:58 PM »

in the morning it is working fine but evening is very sluggish and slow speeds and lots of pkt loss

Neil - you live in Pakistan, so the internet infrastructure differs from that in the UK.

As has been explained, international internet connectivity from Pakistan (or India) to other countries is poor, hence the slow speeds you experience

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2020, 07:42:38 PM »

Neil - you live in Pakistan, so the internet infrastructure differs from that in the UK.

As has been explained, international internet connectivity from Pakistan (or India) to other countries is poor, hence the slow speeds you experience
is it same in the UK?
others are also experiencing same they have bought extra bandwidth for peak hours.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/peak-evening-demand-still-the-network-capacity-challenge/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:44:52 PM by neil »
VDSL FTTC 35/18

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2020, 10:17:30 PM »

is it same in the UK?
others are also experiencing same they have bought extra bandwidth for peak hours.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/peak-evening-demand-still-the-network-capacity-challenge/

No. If you read the link from a few posts ago, you will see the UK has plenty of bandwidth.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2020, 10:55:04 PM »

No. If you read the link from a few posts ago, you will see the UK has plenty of bandwidth.
That's great, But here after 4G launch huge increase in demand for data. I heard new installation of fibers is going on but i don't know when it will be completed.
VDSL FTTC 35/18

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2020, 10:14:20 AM »

That's great, But here after 4G launch huge increase in demand for data. I heard new installation of fibers is going on but i don't know when it will be completed.

Makes you realise how lucky we are. 

We've had 4G for a while although it is still patchy in remote areas.   Some cities now have 5G and most cities and some large towns will get it by summer.
At to Fibre (FTTP) although many on here would say it's not being rolled out fast enough, we do seem to do okay compared to quite a lot of other countries.

-----

Whilst on the topic of India, this was in my mailbox the other day. I've only snipped parts of it.
Please note this relates to BTWholesale and any mention of customers means ISP.      Unlike the UK, India do not appear to have classified telecoms support and call centers as key workers.

.... where we advised that our contact routes would be shut on Sunday 22nd March due to a curfew in India, we have now been advised that this curfew will be in place for the foreseeable future. This is to protect the Indian population by limiting the movement of people.

Openreach briefed yesterday that they would be closing all contact routes which combined with the curfew in India seriously impacts our ability to continue to operate our contact centres. As such we have made the decision to close the majority of our contact routes with immediate effect

The impacted contact routes are:
•   Wholesale Provision eChat
•   Wholesale Repair eChat
•   All Openreach direct contact eChat routes (excluding FTTP)
•   Quality Assure
•   All call routes (excluding FTTP)
•   Failed Retest (see below – this route is being used for an alternative purpose)

We will be focussing our resource to make sure that orders and faults continue to progress to minimise any delays.

All self-serve tools will be available and we encourage you to use View My Job via Business Zone for order updates, and Supplier notes via Eco+ for fault update

/../

Blue Light and Welfare cases – High Level Escalations are open as normal. This route is for issues relating to such things as emergency services, NHS, critical services and vulnerable end users. 

FTTP Provision and Repair – Wholesale will support calls and Openreach will support direct contact via calls and eChat (Openreach support this product from the UK). Please only use this contact route for critical issues. To protect service we will be turning back any non-FTTP related contacts that come in through these routes.

Please note it mostly affects eChat and one-to-one calls.  ISPs are being encouraged to use  'self serve' and other automated systems.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2020, 05:14:15 PM »

@kitz So ISPs can still get in touch as long as it isn’t via a human on one of these web chat systems? By web automated apps. Or to a human by email ? or old fashioned telephone too?

I wonder how ‘real’ these ‘5G’ offerings are right now. Before 4G came out, lots of fake 3.75G 3.9G systems were being advertised as 4G. I wonder if the same is happening this time. I saw a 5G related advert was banned by the ASA recently, but iirc it wasn’t quite on those grounds.

5G is no use anyway as no users have the hardware for it, or am I wrong?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 05:17:23 PM by Weaver »

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2020, 05:25:56 PM »

Please note it mostly affects eChat and one-to-one calls.  ISPs are being encouraged to use  'self serve' and other automated systems.
It's times like these when self-raising of tickets and Live Chat could be so useful.
Shame that Plusnet has abandoned both.   :(
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2020, 05:37:11 PM »

Hopefully this will cause a long-term change and see the further reversing of off-shoring services to eg Indian call centres and Chinese manufacturing. JCB near where I went to school reduced everyone’s hours weeks ago because of lack of supply from parts suppliers in China. The whole globalisation of business makes things more fragile as well as hurting UK employment. Perhaps businesses need to be taxed as a penalty for offshoring. ;D

Also a long-term change to more permanent home working would be very helpful, in reducing employees’ costs, pollution, traffic congestion

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2020, 11:42:34 PM »

Makes you realise how lucky we are. 

We've had 4G for a while although it is still patchy in remote areas.   Some cities now have 5G and most cities and some large towns will get it by summer.
At to Fibre (FTTP) although many on here would say it's not being rolled out fast enough, we do seem to do okay compared to quite a lot of other countries.

here 3G/4G was launched 6 years ago and we have 76 million+ subscribers on 3g/4g, and 78 million broadband. And I read on news 15% increase in data demand after corona virus outbreak.
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2020, 01:49:22 AM »

Neil is that 15% for 3G/4G or for fixed line or both combined?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4