Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: sync speed now lower than it was  (Read 1213 times)

bazer

sync speed now lower than it was
« on: March 15, 2020, 10:43:05 AM »

hi this is my first post,

my sync speed used to be around 79.6  etc as we are not to far from the cabinet, trying to convince my isp something not right as my   neighbour's all sync at around 79.,,,sync at the higher rate  etc, last year when we first change from the 40/10 to 80/20 profile  open reach found a fault with a dslam card and put me on a spare position  , but sometime in the new year I got the odd resync and now it sync at the lower rate, speed test are sometimes slow as well I complained to my isp and op reach turn up but did nothing saying its down to talktalk network as to why the speed is slow etc I know this is incorrect as its bt open reach responsibility from the cabinet to the back haul etc, I enclose my stats and one of my neighbours' stats  I think my noise  margin is lower  than it should be and the attenuation is different , I have check I'm on a fast path not interleaved  anyway any thoughts would be helpful
baz

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: sync speed now lower than it was
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 11:13:07 AM »

With 6.3dB downstream noise margin it looks like you are getting as much as speed as is available (assume ECI cabinet with no xdB available?).
This could be crosstalk loosing you speed as neighbours come on-line with VDSL. Unfortunately I think you are going to have difficultly convincing TalkTalk to look at this when you still have a speed as high as you do.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 11:28:32 AM »

With an 11.1dB attenuation your sync is perfectly normal and will be within the range quoted on the DSL checker.
You will be above the ISP's minimum guarantee.

It's the nature of the technology that most people will see a decrease in sync as the local fibre cabinet fills up.
It's called crosstalk and can't be helped.

Your noise margin is correct.
Your neighbors noise margin is set to the same 6dB target as your line but they have "spare" noise margin as they aren't at full sync.

Try connecting to the test socket on the master socket and see if that makes any difference.
If it doesn't there's literally nothing you can do.

Try limiting the number of reconnections (resyncs) during any testing as this can slow your line further.

Power levels suggest a Huawei cabinet so the line may improve itself in future.

How long has the line been live?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

bazer

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 11:31:40 AM »

ok thanks for your reply , the attenuation is higher on mine compared to the other we are all fed from the same populated cable , do you think the link between the cabinet are just different in spec etc I know of 3 from the same feed are syncing at about 80/20 as we are so close to the cabinet when open reach came out I had just had a procedure and felt rough, this just annoying  i know I'm on a relative high speed within specs etc this has been like this since October of last year , this wont happen when fttp comes here any other opinions welcome baz

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 11:43:00 AM »

Trying the test socket rules out internal wiring issues (extensions).

Different modems report different attenuations.
Different modems also sync at different rates.
Your neighbours modem may show a lower attenuation and sync higher on your line.

I synced around 44Mb (used to be 55Mb before crosstalk).
My neighbors either side of me both sync around 32Mb.

Your line can take a slightly different route to the cabinet than neighbours or be using lower quality cabling(different guage copper, older wiring, sections of aluminium) at some point on the run to the cabinet.

What goes against you is that the ISP's work on a range of estimates provided to them and they quote you a minimum guarantee.
Your sync will be above that so they will not want to send anyone out to try improve this.
If they did and no fault was found this visit would be chargeable to you at around £130.

What your neighbours get is irrelevant. Every line is different and there will always be some lines that just perform worse than others.
That's why they give a range of estimates.

You can check your lines estimates by entering your telephone number or full address in to this site.
https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Trying the test socket is your best option at present.
If there's an improvement in sync speed then there may be something you can do at your end to improve things.

bazer

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 12:04:08 PM »

ok i understand, your meaning the internal cabling is simple no extensions  it has the combined open reach filter socket i could try and bypass this with a filter for testing , fully under stand your very nice description on cabling to customers' can be different etc, good old days right when tested we used to get from bt , was a comms engineer now retired

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 12:24:16 PM »

If you plug in modem direct to test socket you don't need to use filter, and is better to not.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 01:29:44 PM »

I don't think you can plug a RJ11 modem lead plug into the telephone type test socket, that's why you need a filter. The modem connection is not filtered anyway so using the filter will not affect the performance of the line.

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 04:28:05 PM »

There should be cable with modem which allow to connect to master socket, in some cases filter may be faulty, that's why best is to not use filter when connecting to test socket.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 03:09:28 AM »

Most routers I've ever owned come supplied with filters with the BT plug pre-fitted rather than an RJ11 to BT cable, so you can't plug in without the filter.

A lot of telephones use RJ11 to BT cables, but I'd be dubious there too as they aren't always wired the same and often seem to use smaller conductors.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 07:56:17 AM »

EE supplied smart hub came with r11 to bt cable, as well as with filter and r11 to r11 cable.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 12:18:50 PM »

I think one router I had years ago came with a generic filter that was all RJ11, but that was before DSL was popular in the UK and so most companies started using the smaller BT hard wired ones.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 01:54:57 PM »

EE supplied smart hub came with r11 to bt cable, as well as with filter and r11 to r11 cable.

I've never seen this cable come in a modem box. Certainly never from an ISP.

Definitely not the norm and 99 times out of 100 nobody will be able to follow that advise.

It's RJ11 not R11, to avoid confusion.

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 02:29:48 PM »

Sorry should be "RJ11" was typing on mobile, definitely was on mine as I was used when I have to connect supplied ee sh to test socked as instructed by support over the phone, so there is your one time  ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 11:28:25 PM by mrk26 »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 08:26:58 PM »

Come to think of it, not sure if I didn't have to buy the filter myself that was RJ11 sockets.

People don't know how good they have it with ISP provided routers and everything required coming in the box.  ;)