Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can I check if DSLAM still determines choice of modem?  (Read 1267 times)

eightace

• Just arrived
Can I check if DSLAM still determines choice of modem?
« on: March 15, 2020, 10:39:56 AM »

Coming back to DSL after a house move. Will be getting VDSL and does the cabinet and DSLAM mean I have to choose my modem either ECI or Huawei?
Is that all not a thing of the past now we are in 2020!?  ???

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Can I check if DSLAM still determines choice of modem?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 11:17:31 AM »

I would say you would be best starting with a Broadcom based modem no matter which cabinet you have, as most members here get the best results with them. It's not a given though, as some do find that ECI performs better on their line. If you are close to the cabinet it probably won't matter much, but if further away it is a case of seeing which works best for your particular line.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 11:20:51 AM »

Coming back to DSL after a house move. Will be getting VDSL and does the cabinet and DSLAM mean I have to choose my modem either ECI or Huawei?
Is that all not a thing of the past now we are in 2020!?  ???

It was never a thing and just an (incorrect imo) assumption and generalisation.
A myth I always argue against.

Broadcom modems performed best on my ECI cabinet (Lantiq DSLAM).
Broadcom modems performed best on my Huawei cabinet (Broadcom DSLAM).

Basically every line is different.
Some lines performed better with 1 chipset years ago but after lots of crosstalk their lines now prefer a different chipset.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 11:35:37 AM »

To make it simple:
- for good line and short, enough will be old Huawei modem
- for long or bad line zyxel (VMG1312-B10A, as example, also good for any line)
If cabinet turn out to be eci, in spare time could be tested something with lantiq chipset.  ;)
Recommended choice on this forum (one of, zyxel VMG1312-B10A) is probably the best for start, no matter on what cabinet you are, I got one to mantain my line when dlm got a bad week and for that matter is probably one of the best, even that on daily basis I use modem with lantiq.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 11:40:11 AM »

Note that VMG1312-B10A now seem to be a sought after commodity, and often command what I think are crazy prices. The VMG8324-B10A and VMG8924-B10A have the same modem circuitry and in my experience work every bit as well. They are available for much more sensible prices.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 11:48:58 AM »

I believe is worth to mention that all modems (apart of Huawei old bt as is not supported officially anymore) mentioned so far are bt approved, and that is the most important bit, try to avoid modems with unknown chipset or even worse mediatek, these will give you only trouble.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:55:18 AM by mrk26 »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 12:52:34 PM »

Lantiq always seemed lower latency on my ECI line.  I could never measure a difference but things seemed to load quicker.

Since its degraded with crosstalk, being able to fiddle with the downstream SNRm has been extremely useful however.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything