Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Malt whisky challenge  (Read 868 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Malt whisky challenge
« on: May 31, 2020, 10:21:12 AM »

I managed to get a Tesco delivery slot last week, and treated myself to a bottle of my favourite malt whisky.

It was delivered in one of these gimmicky presentation boxes, which I got around to opening last night, to find the bottle inside is still fitted with a big chunky security device.  The kind that look a bit like a flying saucer on its side, clamped to the neck of the bottle.  They’re normally removed by a machine at checkouts.

So my new challenge is... how to remove that device?   I’m betting it’s not meant to be easy and will require more than wire snips.  I’m definitely going to avoid searching the web for answers, as I am wary of what kind of sites I might land upon. :D

No hints please, this is not that kind of forum, though humorous ideas welcomed.  One sure fire method I have thought of so far is to drink all the whisky, then break the bottle? ::)

Or maybe I should resist drinking it at all but keep that bottle in reserve for when life is back to normal, then produce it in front of house guests and watch the raised eyebrows.   :D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Malt whisky challenge
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 11:21:58 AM »

Seriously I'd phone the store and ask them to either deliver another bottle minus tag and hand back this one, it's their fault after all.

Actually I'd guess this type could be removed with a metal cutter of some sort since it is only there to set off the alarm, unlike those containing dye which can be used on clothes. Also if you have a rare earth magnet that might work as I believe that's what they have in the shop, needs to be a strong magnet though.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 11:30:06 AM »

+1 for Magnet, you can ponder on the flying saucer while enjoying the contents of the bottle  ;)
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 11:32:54 AM »

Too late to return it, first priority was to see if the bottle could still be opened.  Second was to see if whisky could still be drunk.   Just a tiny sample you understand, in the interests of scientific research.

I might have a play with magnets though don’t expect me to spill the beans on exact technique, if it works.  Can’t remember offhand if I have any old 3.5” disk drives awaiting disposal, but taking one apart is always entertaining and they do have impressively powerful magnets inside...

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 11:36:29 AM »

Too late to return it, first priority was to see if the bottle could still be opened.  Second was to see if whisky could still be drunk.   Just a tiny sample you understand, in the interests of scientific research.

Of course  ;) ;)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 12:55:51 PM »

I might have a play with magnets though don’t expect me to spill the beans on exact technique, if it works.  Can’t remember offhand if I have any old 3.5” disk drives awaiting disposal, but taking one apart is always entertaining and they do have impressively powerful magnets inside...

Its all fun and games until you trap your finger between them.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

matthew413

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 02:12:27 PM »

I bought a bottle of Martin Miller Gin from Waitrose just before Christmas, went via the self service checkouts and neither I or the lady who approved the purchase noticed the security tag.

I cut through it in about 30 seconds with a dremel and a reinforced cutting disc :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 02:46:53 PM »

That’s good to know, I have dremel kit to hand if needed.   And I don’t think we can be accused of assisting shoplifters with such a revelation.    :)

It’s become a sort of challenge.  If somebody sold them as puzzles rather than security devices, I’d probably have bought one long ago.    I Have tried fiddling with magnets, not got any dramatic reaction yet.  But there’s definitely areas where the magnets pull a little, so something inside’s magnetic.

Maybe my magnets are too weak, the little rugby-ball shaped toy things that you play with by throwing in the air, passing between fingers etc.  Probably banned nowadays owing to the unimaginable harm they can do if swallowed by a child before clamping together and trapping the intestines.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 04:31:16 PM »

Just holding a strong magnet over it will not work  :-\

When you put it on to the magnet let it go with a bit of a bump, there is a pin with a lip that goes through a cone shape piece, it needs this jolt to dislodge this pin arrangement , have the stronger part of the magnetic poles facing upwards with the magnet say on a table.

Maybe try above as a challenge after the bottle has been emptied, then take the device to bits to see how it works.

My wife bought a pair of trousers with one on, paid for them walked out and it never set any alarm off  :o
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 10:19:40 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 06:23:38 PM »

Mike, just to confirm I definitely intend to explore your suggestions. 

But probably safer, after bottle is empty.  So I am focusing immediate efforts on reaching that first step, emptying the bottle.   Since it’s a bit special and there’s other cheaper booze to guzzle, I try and restrict myself one small measure per evening.  So even with the inexplicable additional evaporation that affects all the finest malts, it may take a few weeks. :)

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 10:11:03 AM »

I try and restrict myself one small measure per evening.  So even with the inexplicable additional evaporation that affects all the finest malts, it may take a few weeks. :)

and which tools from your arsenal to employ ;) ;)
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590