Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DG834G & TalkTalk - dropping connection entirely  (Read 5810 times)

brundle

• Just arrived
DG834G & TalkTalk - dropping connection entirely
« on: July 11, 2008, 10:42:38 PM »

Hi - does anyone have any experience of a Netgear DG834G (v4, latest firmware, brand new unit) dropping the DSL signal entirely after a random period and not detecting a DSL signal at all until switched off and on again? ISP is TalkTalk and the stats are less than ideal if my limited knowledge of such things is correct (Attenuation 57-60dB, S/N Margin 13-16dB), but the standard SmartAX TalkTalk modem has worked fairly reliably on the same line for months - the Netgear connects OK at first too. I checked all the settings to make sure they complied with TalkTalk's recommendations.
I could understand it if the router tried to sync again, but nothing - and no entry in the router log when it disconnects either.

I took a few readings from the SmartAX with HuaweiMonitor and made a note of the stats on both modem and router,  but it's not my property or ISP so any additional info required I'll gather on my next visit.

Any insight would be great - TIA

james_2k

Re: DG834G & TalkTalk - dropping connection entirely
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 12:01:09 AM »

just checking but when you say newest firmware. did you download it yourself? just because its new doesn't mean its got the newest fw. mine didn't :)

something like this may have happened to me this morning too. disconnected then didn't even try to reconnect. but maybe it was just some line noise. (same router)

brundle

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 03:31:23 PM »

It's version 5.01.09, latest version downloaded from Netgear and installed manually - the router came with 5.01.01 if I recall.
I tried the router on another ADSL connection with better stats (2km from the exchange, a different area and exchange though) and it works perfectly. It seems I'll have to put it down to too weak a signal.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 05:00:17 PM »

Netgears are generally quite good at holding onto weak signals, but every line is different, and I guess yours just happens to be one of those which the DG834G doesn't get on with unfortunately.
  Eric

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 10:48:39 AM »

Hi - does anyone have any experience of a Netgear DG834G (v4, latest firmware, brand new unit) dropping the DSL signal entirely after a random period and not detecting a DSL signal at all until switched off and on again?

I would try another router if I were you.  You may also want to re-flash it with the latest firmware (download it afresh just in case).  The router is meant to try to resync every 5 seconds (default settings) and unless you changed this it would try on its own to renegotiate a connection with the exchange.  The fact that it does not do this on its own, but works when you reboot it, indicates that something is amiss with the router itself.

ISP is TalkTalk and the stats are less than ideal if my limited knowledge of such things is correct (Attenuation 57-60dB, S/N Margin 13-16dB),

With an attenuation of 57-60dB you should be able to see up to 2000 kbps sync speeds under ideal conditions.

I could understand it if the router tried to sync again, but nothing - and no entry in the router log when it disconnects either.

One more reason which points to the router firmware or hardware being faulty.  I would reflash it and if that does not fix it then try to replace if it is still under warranty.
Regards,
Mick

brundle

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 01:46:49 PM »

I hate it when people don't say thank you for replies in forums, and I just found this bookmark on a USB stick (portable Firefox).
So, thanks for the replies, problem was not resolved - returned the NetGear and went back to the original non-wireless TalkTalk modem. I need to re-address this now, more computers added to the mix,  but I'll start a new thread if required.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 03:42:07 PM »

Thanks for letting us know. :)
  Eric