Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35104 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #630 on: July 24, 2020, 10:15:28 AM »

interesting buy why should NHS be exempt from parking at work?
what's so special about them? they chose the job.

incidentally, NHS doctors (in England) have just received a 2.8% pay rise.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/nhs-doctors-and-dentists-to-receive-2-8-pay-rise

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19) t
« Reply #631 on: July 24, 2020, 10:34:47 AM »

I wouldn't say asking is wrong, but demanding or getting upset if they refuse it is.

The headline bullet reads, my emphasis..
Small business owners in Edinburgh said they cannot afford to keep giving NHS worker discounts and have asked workers to stop asking for them.

It recounts just one supposed example of somebody getting upset by a ‘No’, the two nurses buying fish & chips. One argued when refused a discount, second nurse intervened and told awkward nurse to pay up. Newsworthy?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/nhs-doctors-and-dentists-to-receive-2-8-pay-rise
The various places I worked as a software engineer, free parking was a universally expected benefit.   The company had to pay for the land, and I got to use it for free.  I agree with Alex, NHS should provide the same.

Only exception was in central London.   Employees could still apply for a permit to use the car park, though the waiting list would probably have taken you past retirement age.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #632 on: July 24, 2020, 10:39:09 AM »

Back on topic, we’ve recently been discussing flu jabs, this looks interesting... more people to get them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53515078

I can’t find the story anywhere else and the Beeb’s version is vague on the most crucial aspect, but one to keep an eye on, once the following is clarified...
Those aged 50-64 will be offered the jab later, with the full details still to be announced.

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19) t
« Reply #633 on: July 24, 2020, 10:46:05 AM »

The headline bullet reads, my emphasis..
It recounts just one supposed example of somebody getting upset by a ‘No’, the two nurses buying fish & chips. One argued when refused a discount, second nurse intervened and told awkward nurse to pay up. Newsworthy?
The various places I worked as a software engineer, free parking was a universally expected benefit.   The company had to pay for the land, and I got to use it for free.  I agree with Alex, NHS should provide the same.

Only exception was in central London.   Employees could still apply for a permit to use the car park, though the waiting list would probably have taken you past retirement age.

ok clearly your anti-BBC bias is clouding your judgement here.
the point of the story is small businesses struggling and the NHS thinking they are entitled to a discount being a problem.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #634 on: July 24, 2020, 04:20:22 PM »

be interesting to see the percentage of positive tests results of those with symptoms and those without.
it seems there a reasonable percentage of those without symptoms.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #635 on: July 24, 2020, 04:25:52 PM »

Depending upon how long the infection persisted, I think Covid is still possible.

A friend of mine almost certainly had Covid “in the household” early in lockdown.   All three people had pretty compelling symptoms, one still has no sense of smell or taste.   My friend seemed worse than the others but soldiered on for several weeks before seeking help.  By that time she tested negative for Covid but needed antibiotics for a bacterial infection.  Speculation is that she did have Covid originally, which triggered the bacterial infection, and then the Covid the got better, leaving just the secondary bacterial infection. 

I know at least one other person, a guy in his twenties, who needed antibiotics for a secondary infection after getting relatively mild Covid.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #636 on: July 24, 2020, 04:29:15 PM »

i'm talking about people with zero symptoms and in a "healthy" state - we are seeing positive tests from people like this.
footballers, for example, who are getting tested twice a week (i believe at the moment), are coming back positive and have no outward symptoms.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #637 on: July 24, 2020, 04:51:29 PM »

Sorry Chenks, I was responding to kitz’s post, not trying to contradict you.   

Your point is valid, ONS have been conducting household surveys on a random(-ish) basis for some time, and roughly 2/3 of people who test positive have none of the recognised symptoms at the time they are tested.  They may get symptoms later, of course, that’s unknown.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #638 on: July 24, 2020, 04:53:32 PM »

also, the issue of false positives.
football team here had 6 positive results during the week, which have now come back as confirmed false positives.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #639 on: July 24, 2020, 10:16:07 PM »

Perhaps you should go and do what my wife does every day! She goes way beyond her job description, gets paid crap money for it too, and if she wanted to park at work she'll get charged for it to, instead she parks down the road and walks the last few hundred yards come rain or shine to help ungrateful people like you! And no she hasn't got a pay rise this week, unlike doctors she works alongside!

Best I go and do something else before I'm rude, but you deserve it!

Oh, and by the way most times she would queue at Tesco's or wherever, even though she could queue jump, and she wouldn't dream of asking for a discount just because she works for the NHS unless it was offered! Just remember it was not our extremely hard working mostly underpaid NHS staff that started it!
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #640 on: July 25, 2020, 12:51:43 AM »

also, the issue of false positives.
football team here had 6 positive results during the week, which have now come back as confirmed false positives.

Must admit I was sceptical, when Chenks threw this into the melting pot.

Actually though, it’s caught my interest.  Article in the Spectator, crunches the numbers pointing out that as the population virus levels drop to current levels, if I have got this right, false positives increase to the point whereby the test may be no better than 50% reliable.  And with so many false positives it may be very difficult to ever prove it has gone for good.

Emphasise, I might be misunderstanding the article, other comments welcome.  Author has some credibility...
Carl Heneghan is professor of evidence-based medicine at the University of Oxford and director of the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine

Paywalled unfortunately, but you can read a couple of articles for free...

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-many-covid-diagnoses-are-false-positives-

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #641 on: July 25, 2020, 09:41:53 AM »

Sceptical? It's reported news.
You need to take that tinfoil hat off.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #642 on: July 25, 2020, 09:51:26 AM »

Sceptical? It's reported news.

That’s why I was sceptical.  If you think ‘tinfoil hat’ applies to people sceptical of the Daily Mail and the BBC (and etc) then I strongly suggest that you need to consider your own gullibility.

But did you read the rest of my post, I WAS SUPPORTING YOU!!!   Apols for shouting, but leaving it there anyway.

Other people might be interested in my post so to avoid it getting buried beneath one of your childish outbursts, here it is again...

Must admit I was sceptical, when Chenks threw this into the melting pot.

Actually though, it’s caught my interest.  Article in the Spectator, crunches the numbers pointing out that as the population virus levels drop to current levels, if I have got this right, false positives increase to the point whereby the test may be no better than 50% reliable.  And with so many false positives it may be very difficult to ever prove it has gone for good.

Emphasise, I might be misunderstanding the article, other comments welcome.  Author has some credibility...
Paywalled unfortunately, but you can read a couple of articles for free...

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-many-covid-diagnoses-are-false-positives-

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #643 on: July 25, 2020, 10:24:12 AM »

I’ve been following up on the author of the Spectator article, Prof Carl Heneghan.

He works for an organisation called Centre for Evidence Based Medicine, seems to be Internationally recognised, not crackpots.

Their Covid-19 section makes fascinating reading...

https://www.cebm.net/oxford-covid-19-evidence-service/

Recently, they explored the reasons why Scotland death rates have dropped to near zero, whilst England daily deaths drag on.   I’ve never accepted that at face value when there is only a road sign to separate one from the other.   Given ongoing political motives I had been open-minded to the possibility that Scottish Govt was cooking the books, but he’s more critical of PHE’s accounting methods... they (the Scots) are actually accounting better, it would seem.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/why-no-one-can-ever-recover-from-covid-19-in-england-a-statistical-anomaly/
Referring to England....
A patient who has tested positive, but successfully treated and discharged from hospital, will still be counted as a COVID death even if they had a heart attack or were run over by a bus three months later.

Lots more fascinating articles on the cebm website, linked above.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #644 on: July 25, 2020, 11:00:14 AM »

Considering what we know about the virus, a heart attack months later could very well still be a COVID death, although not sure how run over by a bus could qualify.

It really highlights the difficulty in ever assigning blame to a virus for something, when its not the virus that kills you but its side-effects, which could hit you at any point in your life as its impossible to check every single organ for damage.  Where DO you draw the line?

Ultimately medical science can do so much, we kinda forget in the great scheme of things how little we really know.  Its why its so amusing the conspiracy theorists actually think we know enough to create a virus that could be turned on by 5G at will.  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 11:04:16 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44