Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35145 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #615 on: July 21, 2020, 12:46:02 AM »

What amazes me is, in my lifetime, we have moved from a situation where transistor radios would boast ‘six transistors’ or a few more for posh sets, to a world where the phone in my pockets contains about 10 billion transistors.

Yet, while significant strides have been taken, we seem to be still a long way from really understanding, other than by guesswork, trial & error, one of the most impressive bits of technology ever created... the human immune system.   I suspect it remains a lot smarter than we give credit for. :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #616 on: July 21, 2020, 03:11:07 AM »

I suspect it remains a lot smarter than we give credit for. :)

Mine isn't, considering it killed off all my hair amongst other allergies.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #617 on: July 21, 2020, 10:16:10 AM »

Sorry to hear about your hair. :(

Personally, I want to see this pandemic solved by science.  I want medicines for people who get ill, and I want vaccines to make it go away.  I’ll do all I can to cooperate, by taking medicines and getting vaccinated, and encouraging others to do the same.

I still find it amazing to think that when a new virus like this unleashes itself, and science fails to provide an answer, the human race’s survival is still almost guaranteed through its incredibly clever immune system.  A lot of people may die while the immune systems work it out, but antibodies/herd immunity/whatever seem to ensure that, on the whole, humans live on. There must have been countless equivalents of Covid-19 in the course of millions of years of evolution, yet we’re still here.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #618 on: July 21, 2020, 10:30:07 AM »

When questioned about a vaccine around 25% of UK residents say they wont take it.
Such a low take up would make any vaccine pretty ineffective.

The anti-vaxxers need tin foil hats grafted on to their heads so I can see who the idiots are so I can cross the street when I see them.
Just my opinion  :)
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #619 on: July 21, 2020, 11:11:43 AM »

Such a low take up would make any vaccine pretty ineffective.

Do you have a source for that?

Or apols if that’s just opinion/common sense, you did say “just your opinion” after subsequent paragraph.

Not getting at you, it’s just that I’ve not seen any figures quantifying the requirements for vaccine compliance/uptake, and I’d be interested in the official answer. :)

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #620 on: July 21, 2020, 11:32:54 AM »

to put a positive spin on it, it would mean 75% uptake.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #621 on: July 21, 2020, 11:45:47 AM »

Pondering this, I could start to feel guilty.   I’m not yet of an age to automatically qualify for the annual flu jab, but I have sometimes been offered it in relation to the various other bodily defects I have developed.   I’ve always shrugged it off but not because I’m antivax, I’m not.  It’s just that I’ve always thought I was man enough to handle a bout of flu, and didn’t want to consume NHS resources in getting the jab.

Actually though, from what I think I’ve learned from Covid people such as me probably do contribute to the overall scale of each season’s flu.  Note to self, perhaps, next time it’s offered by a GP, the answer is ‘yes please’?

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #622 on: July 21, 2020, 12:14:45 PM »

if you think you're "man enough to handle a bout of flu" then you probably have never had flu before, but more likely just a heavy cold.
the reason there is a flu vaccination for certain people is because it can kill them. if the doctor thinks you would need it then you should take it. and you can get it from various places, not just your GP (pharmacies for example).
the vast majority of people who say "i've had the flu" haven't had it, they've had a cold.

each year the flu vaccination is different as they have to wait to see which variation occurs. so just because have it one year doesn't negate you from needing it the following year.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #623 on: July 21, 2020, 12:29:35 PM »

Actually I don’t remember ever having flu.  Another reason I suppose, that I have never worried much about it.  The odd time I had to call in sick with a runny nose and a cough, I always insisted on calling it a heavy cold, not flu.

I was apparently hospitalised with infant pneumonia but have zero recollection and parents, now deceased, never discussed whether it was caused by flu, some other virus, or bacterial.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #624 on: July 21, 2020, 04:56:08 PM »

Sorry to hear about your hair. :(

Its old news, lost it when I was six I think, it grew back, lost it again when I hit puberty and it did not.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #625 on: July 21, 2020, 06:18:31 PM »

save money on haircuts, bonus.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #626 on: July 22, 2020, 07:35:42 AM »

save money on haircuts, bonus.

And shampoo, razors, aftershave.  Costs more in sunblock and hats though.  ::)

Not having eyebrows, eyelashes, nose or ear hair is not the bonus people think it is though.  All those things serve a purpose.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #627 on: July 24, 2020, 08:43:29 AM »

loosely related to covid - NHS staff clearly taking the pee and the sense of entitlement appears to be strong amongst them.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-53514524

let's not forget that they chose this professions and all the training to took part in was to prepare them to do the job in times when they are most needed, such as now.
forgive me for being blunt, but they should shut up and get on with their jobs, and pay the price for goods and services that the rest of us pay.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #628 on: July 24, 2020, 09:44:10 AM »

Slow news day at BBC Scotland, perhaps?

Personally I often ask for a discount, whether it be hotels, car servicing, whatever.   The answer’s often ‘No’ and there’s no hard feelings about it.

I agree that I try to look for a decent angle before asking, ‘customer loyalty’ often works. At face value, “I’m a nurse” seems a bit feeble and cringe-worthy.  Maybe if I actually was a nurse though I’d change my tune, especially if the word went around that it might work.   But as long as ‘No’ is an available response, what’s the problem?

PS: occupation related discounts.... Actually I do play that game,  it just occurred to me that I also often use “I’m retired” in my plea for discounts.   It sometimes results in an getting an over 65’s price, even though I make it clear I am younger than that.   :)

Edit: added PS
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 09:55:38 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #629 on: July 24, 2020, 10:07:21 AM »

I don't know if it still stands, but in Sheffield you used to get a discount in the hospital canteen if you worked for the NHS, which seems fair.

Expecting small businesses to do it however, completely unreasonable.  I wouldn't say asking is wrong, but demanding or getting upset if they refuse it is.

I absolutely believe NHS staff, especially nurses, need a pay rise - but that is not the responsibility of small businesses.

Now when it comes to NHS staff having to pay for parking at work, I do believe they shouldn't.  But again, its not up to the people running the car park to pay for that.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44