Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35128 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #525 on: June 25, 2020, 02:45:43 PM »

Europe sees its first increase in weekly coronavirus cases in months, according to the World Health Organisation. The rise comes as countries continue to ease restrictions.

who'd have thought it.
but hey, people need to get into pubs!

easing is happening way too soon, and public gathering places should remain full closed IMO.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #526 on: June 25, 2020, 08:36:16 PM »

What chenks said.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #527 on: June 25, 2020, 08:52:04 PM »

Perhaps if they're in the pubs they won't be on the beaches  :wall:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53176717
https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/gallery/what-kents-beaches-looked-like-4264844

I bet all that seaweed at Broadstairs absolutely stank in this hot weather
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #528 on: June 25, 2020, 10:05:27 PM »

The beach photos are certainly worrying.     But in fairness, anybody who understands camera lenses will notice the majority of the photos that make the news have been taken using a lens with long focal length, which has the effect of making crowds look more dense.  Very easy trick known to most photographers.

For those who need a more detailed explanation, this one is pretty good...

https://fullfact.org/online/photos-social-distancing/

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #529 on: June 25, 2020, 10:25:17 PM »

Apparently the queues started around Sittingbourne coast bound on the M2 this afternoon, and there was barely room to drive a car in Margate, let alone park it. Also the videos of the beaches on the news tonight looked extremely packed.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #530 on: June 25, 2020, 10:49:57 PM »

Yes, the BBC news camera crews are worst offenders of all.   You can’t blame them.   The news producer, mindful of program funding in the climate of licence fee cutbacks, briefs them “make it look crowded”.  They are the very best of photographers, and knowing how to do that,  they do. :)

But I’m not saying there’s not a problem.  We decided to visit a local woodland walk last week - not a chance.   The lay-by car park, which would usually be deserted on weekdays, was full to the brim, with improvised and unsafe additional parking for some distance along the verges.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #531 on: June 25, 2020, 11:05:17 PM »

Having watched the reports on the local news, it was really, really bad. All the car parks are full and there's hundreds of cars parked on double yellow lines all over the town. Front gardens being used as toilets.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #532 on: June 25, 2020, 11:29:08 PM »

Having watched the reports on the local news, it was really, really bad. All the car parks are full and there's hundreds of cars parked on double yellow lines all over the town. Front gardens being used as toilets.

Very good example of why I have not watched a TV news bulletin, local or national, for many weeks now.

Who’s to say if it’s true?   It might be, or it might not.  The fact it was “on the BBC” has no bearing on the probability of truth either way.

I’m certainly sceptical as to whether gardens are being used as toilets.   If  they are, it’s also possibly a reaction to the widespread closure of public loos that started long predating coronavirus, when local authorities figured out they had no legal obligation to keep them open.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #533 on: June 26, 2020, 12:14:48 AM »

Within the first few hours of informing people that her accommodation business is going to reopen, my wife Janet was getting bookings - some possibly timewasters though. Very pleasant after six months of living on fresh air aside from the government payout for self-employed people running their own businesses. So a good day.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #534 on: June 26, 2020, 12:33:44 AM »

Back on facts, and the media headline of a surge in European cases.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53175459
Headline
Coronavirus: 'Very significant' resurgences in Europe alarm WHO

I think the article has been edited since I first looked at it as, further down the page now,

The 11 countries and territories were later identified by the WHO as Armenia, Sweden, Moldova, North Macedonia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kyrgyzstan, Ukraine and Kosovo.

Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan..  etc...  Europe?   Really?

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #535 on: June 26, 2020, 07:48:49 AM »

those are european countries (whether you like it or not).
and don't try and turn this into another one fo your anti-BBC threads.
take that elsewhere.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #536 on: June 26, 2020, 07:50:51 AM »

7LM I think your anti BBC is getting the better of you, next you'll be telling us the videos (not pictures) I saw had been edited to add in more people. As Jelv said the beaches and roads we're packed, there's no denying it.

Very pleasant after six months of living on fresh air aside from the government payout for self-employed people running their own businesses. So a good day.

Weaver, my brother lives on fresh air in normal times let alone now when he can't work because he's shielding, there's no way he can afford an £1100 (1/10 of his annual income) iPad like Janet has just purchased, your not really that hard up if you can afford and justify that expenditure are you?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 07:55:04 AM by Ronski »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #537 on: June 26, 2020, 08:55:09 AM »

No one is suggesting the pictures, or the videos, have been edited in any way.

Here again is the link to fullfact, where they discuss how photographic techniques can be used to make an area look busy.   They can’t create a crowd that doesn’t exist, but they can choose to make the crowd look more dense or more sparse just by using different lenses.

https://fullfact.org/online/photos-social-distancing/

those are european countries (whether you like it or not).
and don't try and turn this into another one fo your anti-BBC threads.
take that elsewhere.

Genuinely interested, Chenks.  Probably my stupidity as I failed my Geography O-level, but in what context are the four countries I listed ‘European”?   Wikipedia, today at least, seems to locate them in
Asia or Eurasia.  Politically of course, ‘Europe’ is sometimes used to refer to the EU regardless of geography but I don’t think (happy to be corrected) they are EU members either?

I guess they sometimes might get a slot on the Eurovision Song Contest, but so does Australia.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #538 on: June 26, 2020, 09:14:16 AM »

Focusing more (sorry for the pun) on camera lenses, one of my favourite lockdown photos is the second one down on this Sun page, with aircraft apparently nosing onto the fence line.  You’d swear at a glance the parked aircraft were squeezed into Tesco car park slots, or at least that’s my perception.   

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11276713/photos-50-ba-planes-grounded-bournemouth-airport/

I think it appeared in other places too, The Sun is just where I found it today.  Fantastic shot, credit to the photographer imho. :)

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #539 on: June 26, 2020, 09:32:06 AM »

Genuinely interested, Chenks.  Probably my stupidity as I failed my Geography O-level, but in what context are the four countries I listed ‘European”?   Wikipedia, today at least, seems to locate them in
Asia or Eurasia.  Politically of course, ‘Europe’ is sometimes used to refer to the EU regardless of geography but I don’t think (happy to be corrected) they are EU members either?

lets look at Kazakhstan then.

Kazakhstan is a transcontinental country largely located in Central Asia with the most western parts of it being located in Eastern Europe.
the key word there is "transcontinental".

same for Azerbaijan.

Armenia are part of UEFA and are considered european in terms or sport, even though it's technically in the asian continent. they are in the Eurasian Economic Union as are Kyrgyzstan
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 44