Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35125 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #480 on: May 21, 2020, 09:07:48 PM »

Is the gap size too large then, so that SARS-Cov-2 can get through?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #481 on: May 21, 2020, 11:52:55 PM »

Is the gap size too large then, so that SARS-Cov-2 can get through?

My understanding is, that is a factor, but...

There’s also the fact that you can catch such a virus by absorption in the eyes and so a mask without eye protection is of very limited benefit.

And there’s also the fact that a strict procedure for donning and removing a mask must be followed, to avoid cross contamination between mask and wearer.

There’s probably other reasons too.

But stress again, Joe Public wears a mask for the benefit of other people, not himself. :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #482 on: May 22, 2020, 01:28:38 AM »

Oh, I forgot about the eyes.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #483 on: May 22, 2020, 03:53:17 AM »

My opinion is if the general public are educated to wear masks then we will see  a significant drop in R0.

Are they flawless? no, there is still risk, but that isn't a reason to say they useless.  The main benefit is it helps prevent transmission from people wearing masks, but people can be a carrier without having symptoms, and of course we know "many" people are going out to shops etc. with symptoms anyway.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #484 on: May 22, 2020, 08:13:14 AM »

The Boots masks do carry what appears to be European and US certification numbers.   Not sure where that places them on the scale of usefulness, probably better than nothing.

I do have a decent pair of quite tight fitting goggles.   These are not medical, I use them for some diy tasks, and to keep debris out of my eyes when using the garden strimmer, leaf blower etc.  I’d look like an idiot, but would probably be willing to wear them too, if I’m forced to engage in uncomfortable activities, like cramped public transport.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #485 on: May 28, 2020, 11:47:52 AM »

I see test & trace is starting.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing-for-coronavirus/nhs-test-and-trace-if-youre-contacted-after-testing-positive-for-coronavirus/

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing-for-coronavirus/nhs-test-and-trace-if-youve-been-in-contact-with-a-person-who-has-coronavirus/

On each page
You'll be contacted by email, text or phone.

Text messages will come from the NHS. Calls will come from 0300 0135000.

Best brace ourselves for the scams, then.   Great idea NHS, telling the scammers in advance the calling number and sender ids they should use.  :'(

Or have the networks been primed to specifically monitor calls & txts with these details, and apply extra authentication? That might be possible, but I’ve seen no mention of it.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #486 on: June 03, 2020, 03:37:45 PM »

The shield hotline is a scammers haven.

Normally if you get a call from someone, a sure fire way to verify is simply to ring the company back on its official number, and then you know you speaking to the company.  But the NHS hotline is outbound calls only so you either dont talk to them at all or just hope its not a scam.

I think who wrote that article stating the caller ID may not be aware how widespread caller id spoofing is :(

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #487 on: June 03, 2020, 04:02:10 PM »

The shield hotline is a scammers haven.

Normally if you get a call from someone, a sure fire way to verify is simply to ring the company back on its official number, and then you know you speaking to the company.  But the NHS hotline is outbound calls only so you either dont talk to them at all or just hope its not a scam.

I think who wrote that article stating the caller ID may not be aware how widespread caller id spoofing is :(

I also remain unimpressed by what I have read about the phone App, though I don’t want to scare people off from using it by harping on about my concerns.

I think I’ve read that Dido Harding, famously at the helm of Talk Talk during their breach a few years ago, is now in an NHS role and running the track and trace.   The consensus at the time of the Talk Talk breech seemed to be that IT, and information security, were not her greatest strengths.  :'(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #488 on: June 03, 2020, 04:49:17 PM »

I think I’ve read that Dido Harding, famously at the helm of Talk Talk during their breach a few years ago, is now in an NHS role and running the track and trace.   The consensus at the time of the Talk Talk breech seemed to be that IT, and information security, were not her greatest strengths.  :'(

I thought Baroness Diana Harding had moved to "running" a water supply company?  :-X  Or am I thinking about some other unimpressive entity?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #489 on: June 03, 2020, 04:55:03 PM »

Baroness Dido Harding has been appointed to lead the programme of testing and tracing as part of the government’s ongoing response to coronavirus, which will include the NHS Covid-19 app.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #490 on: June 03, 2020, 06:33:30 PM »

Thanks, j0hn:)

I've now remembered who was the other entity . . . Olive Garfield, ex-ceo of Openreach.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #491 on: June 04, 2020, 11:32:34 PM »

I watched the interview on tv yesterday afternoon and thought to myself;
- that bumbling idiot who can't answer the questions being put to her by ministers looks familiar.   
as she stumbled through another question about numbers and her repeated "I don't know the numbers' it dawned on me that it was dido from the talktalk hacking fiasco.

Which numpty thought it would be a good idea to put her in charge?  it's hardly going to inspire any faith in the app with her at the realm. :-X

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #492 on: June 05, 2020, 06:12:56 AM »

Perhaps she was the only one stupid enough to apply for the job? Government IT projects never go well, and one as rushed as this was always going to have problems.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #493 on: June 05, 2020, 08:55:15 AM »

It may just be a case of the wrong person being in the right place.

I thought the App had been put together by a department  called NHSX, confirmed by a credible looking Wikipedia page.  Interestingly, App development was apparently commissioned to a company called VMware, of whom many here will be vaguely familiar?  :-\

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHSX

That NHSX wikipedia page makes no mention of Dido Harding, but it explains that NHSX was formed in 2019, thus predating the pandemic, out of resources from various different NHS organisations, one of which was NHS Improvement, chaired by Dido Harding.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHS_Improvement

Since NHSX already existed I guess it does sound like a reasonable choice to develop the App and the track and trace.   Just a shame if it turns out Dido Harding already had a foot in the door.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #494 on: June 05, 2020, 11:18:13 AM »

Interesting Covid 19 infection survey released by ONS.   I understand this data is based on test results from population samples regardless of whether they have symptoms, in contrast to the data presented in daily infections/deaths statistics.

We should probably avoid speculating on the significance of anything in particular as none of us here (I assume?) are remotely qualified to do so, but no harm in reading the publications. :)

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/5june2020
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44