Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35155 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #450 on: May 10, 2020, 12:32:51 AM »

(Hopefully that sentence makes sense . . . I'm sure I'll be told if it cannot be parsed.)

I’m struggling a little, if I am honest, but I struggle with simplest of things these days.  ::)

But per deceptive pricing, and deceptive green-ness, I think Waitrose win hands down. I like Nescafe gold blend instant coffee, which can be purchased either in wasteful throw-away glass jars, or in loosely packaged refills.   When I look at the price per gram on Waitrose shelves, despite the ‘bargain’ stickers, it is nearly always cheaper to buy a new glass jar rather than a refill. :'(

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #451 on: May 10, 2020, 12:58:22 AM »

I’m struggling a little, if I am honest, but I struggle with simplest of things these days.  ::)

But per deceptive pricing, and deceptive green-ness, I think Waitrose win hands down. I like Nescafe gold blend instant coffee, which can be purchased either in wasteful throw-away glass jars, or in loosely packaged refills.   When I look at the price per gram on Waitrose shelves, despite the ‘bargain’ stickers, it is nearly always cheaper to buy a new glass jar rather than a refill. :'(

Glass can be recycled though, the packets probably cannot as they will be wax/plastic coated.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #452 on: May 10, 2020, 01:08:36 AM »

Glass can be recycled though, the packets probably cannot as they will be wax/plastic coated.

Nonsense, you have been watching too much BBC TV.   :D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #453 on: May 10, 2020, 01:17:07 AM »

Nonsense, you have been watching too much BBC TV.   :D

Okay I will put it another way.

Our local council waste collection will accept glass, but they will NOT accept paper that has had any food product on/in it nor do I believe they accept paper with wax/plastic coating.

Glass can also be safely washed and reused (not that recyclers do this) whereas plastic and paper cannot.

The only reason glass is out of favour is the transport cost is high and breakage.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #454 on: May 10, 2020, 08:22:14 AM »

Our local council waste collection will accept glass, but they will NOT accept paper that has had any food product on/in it nor do I believe they accept paper with wax/plastic coating.

Pretty sure they have a legal obligation to accept normal household waste, though they may choose not to recycle it.

As you say, glass is heavier and so environmental footprint from distribution transport is higher.   It is also bulkier when empty, taking up more space in the trucks and shipping that deliver packaging materials to the coffee maker, which is another environmental hit.    It also takes up more space and weight in the garbage collection trucks, same effects.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #455 on: May 10, 2020, 08:40:27 AM »

Just seen an advert for today’s Andrew Marr show.   Seems he’ll be talking to Prof Peter Horby, who appears to be a top man in clinical trials of treatments.

Might be worth watching, and a welcome break from BBC’s incessant and pointless whinging about PPE and testing capacity.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #456 on: May 10, 2020, 03:16:32 PM »

Pretty sure they have a legal obligation to accept normal household waste, though they may choose not to recycle it.

As you say, glass is heavier and so environmental footprint from distribution transport is higher.   It is also bulkier when empty, taking up more space in the trucks and shipping that deliver packaging materials to the coffee maker, which is another environmental hit.    It also takes up more space and weight in the garbage collection trucks, same effects.

Yes I was talking specifically of recycling, its possibly a none-issue as Sheffield supposedly burn household waste for the district heating and electricity generation, so paper doesn't exactly go to waste (so to speak).

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #457 on: May 15, 2020, 04:21:32 PM »

The govt have been saying reproductive number is below 1.  Can anybody tell me what data source they are using?

Imperial college’s latest estimate, at 10th May, UK’s R_t (‘t’ means realtime) was estimated to be 1.03, in range from 0.78 to 1.36.     

Imperial’ also predicted the death rate would increase the following week from 10th May, from 3456 to 3620.  Increased deaths so soon can’t  be a result of relaxing the lockdown a few days ago, as it takes several weeks to die after being infected.  It’s far too soon for that to be cause & effect. :-\

Source:   

https://mrc-ide.github.io/covid19-short-term-forecasts/index.html#projections-and-effective-reproduction-number-estimates

Note that above document is updated weekly, so the numbers within it may change.  I’m quoting numbers from 10th May.

I’m not suggesting anybody’s fiddling the numbers, but wondering...  has  Imperial college scientists and their models fallen out of favour?  That could have quite big implications.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #458 on: May 15, 2020, 08:55:03 PM »

Am thinking about starting to advertise again in my wife’s accommodation business. It will be complicated because we will have to make sure people are aware that there’s no guarantee when we will be able to reopen, and so they will just be making reservations of a preferred  time slot so they get the date that they want with refund if we are not allowed to operate (force majeur) by that time. Just got ~3k today to live on from the government which is for three months gone, so that isn’t going to keep us in champagne and caviar. The bio security for reopening will have to be elaborate, with ridiculous cleaning, no shared facilities and time gaps between guests. Also plain English t+c elaborate too. Will be taking legal advice on it all. I think we have to be advertising so people can start looking ahead. Some people who are in lockdown will be getting stir crazy and be wanting a break in a safe - incredibly ‘distanced’ - place. Decided that the Gaelic for social distancing is astarachd or astarachd shóisealta, or simply the much more natural and down-to-earth cumail fad o chéile.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #459 on: May 15, 2020, 11:31:55 PM »

@Weaver, the press such as BBC is full of speculation about a second wave of infections.

In fact the original Imperial College proposals for lockdowns was that the measures would be repeatedly turned up, and turned down, via on/off triggers, until full public vaccination is possible.  The triggers would be  in response to changing conditions.  In other words, forget about the second wave, there will be multiple waves one after the other, hopefully no bigger than we’ve seen so far.

There will of course be a degree of hysteresis between the on switches and the off switches.  So at times, infection rates will be high, with people still allowed to do things.  Then an off switch be triggered, but only after new outbreaks emerge, and we’ll lock down again until it subsides.   

I think that’s why they are now saying “stay alert”.   If the next year or two does follow that pattern, do you really want to be encouraging visitors to visit your community?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 12:08:38 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #460 on: May 15, 2020, 11:55:06 PM »

I quite agree. We’ll have to see how it goes until we decide. We’ll be following the Scottish Government advice. I’m afraid it’s way too late about protecting Skye; there has been a disastrous event in Port Rìgh where many people have died, so Janet tells me.

I’m dissuading Janet but she is frustrated. Janet tells me that Scotland may be rather more responsible and restrictive than England.

So much is uncertain now.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #461 on: May 16, 2020, 12:17:49 AM »

Despite my proud Scottish heritage, education and upbringing, I’d caution against giving too much credence to their government’s scientific analysis of the pandemic.   I nowadays live in a small rural English village.  We have a parish council, a bit like the Scottish government.   I trust our parish council for lots of things such as provision of roadside benches but, for Covid-19 tactics, I turn to central government.

No offence intended (though undoubtable caused) to Scotland or its government.  Repeat, I was born, raised and educated in Scotland to University, by Scottish parents, of Scottish grandparents.  And more than 40 years on, I still call it home. :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #462 on: May 16, 2020, 01:07:54 PM »

To clarify: What I meant about following the Scottish government is that I am expecting them to be more cautious than the english as less concerned with profit over safety, for fairly illogical reasons. And I have to follow Scottish law, in that they say whether or not we have to remain closed and they decide whether or not we get any state aid during the pandemic.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #463 on: May 16, 2020, 05:30:49 PM »

I simply smell a rat when the Scottish (and Welsh) governments state that the whole of Scotland(/Wales), based on arbitrary geographic land borders, needs to be treated differently from the rest of the country.

If they said, for (fictional) example, that Inverness needed to be treated differently from Glasgow owing to regional variations in R, that might make sense.   Similarly, the UK government might, in time, decide that different areas of England merit different approaches, I think that’s been mooted.   

But the whole of Scotland requiring different treatment from rest of UK based just on whether the name of the motorway has changed from M6 to M74...  How can that be based on science?

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #464 on: May 16, 2020, 10:49:34 PM »

Am thinking about starting to advertise again in my wife’s accommodation business.

With due respect do you want 'An-other' who maybe carrying the virus anywhere near you property with your health issues. ?   :no:  :-\

Stay safe.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 44