Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35153 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #435 on: May 08, 2020, 05:37:41 AM »

To  be fair to Americans, I know quite a few, and none of the ones I know are nuts, religious or otherwise.  But there are over 300 million of them, so I’m sure the odd nut can be found for the sake of making them all look silly.

I have a friend in Texas and he can't even convince his own family to behave. :(  His parents are ardent fox news enthusiasts.  :no:

I'm also thinking of things like over easter "in at least eight states, religious organisations have been granted exemptions from stay-at-home orders as essential services, some after legal and political battles. In Kansas lawmakers revoked the governor's order to limit religious gatherings to 10 people."
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #436 on: May 08, 2020, 07:07:11 AM »

Well, Darwin wipes out all of the morons at such gatherings in one fell swoop, so couldn’t be better  ;)  Just a dreadful shame about the other people who get caught up in the outcome as collateral damage.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #437 on: May 08, 2020, 08:36:17 AM »

I’m afraid I did not applaud the NHS this week. :(

The point is to applaud the NHS frontline workers - not the organisation!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #438 on: May 08, 2020, 08:46:08 AM »

From my position of very vague understanding , I’m very grateful that the UK Govt went for a lockdown policy, and did so at an early stage.  That is definitely what I want, and I hope it continues for a long while yet.

But I also think we need to respect that different countries are free to adopt different approaches.  Sweden, for example, has had no actual lockdown. Afaik, bars and restaurants remain open.   Yet, based on my own understanding of the stats, they are not doing that bad...

Sweden:  R_t showing as 0.98 at time of posting, UK showing 0.84.
source
https://mrc-ide.github.io/covid19-short-term-forecasts/index.html#projections-and-effective-reproduction-number-estimates

Sweden:  Death rate 301 per million pop.  Compares with UK’s 451, and Belgium’s 726.

Source
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I’ve said it a few times, but I really wish the BBC or other channels could dig up some serious, grown up, technical journalists to talk us through these issues and numbers, and how the evidence for lockdowns is stacking up.   Even the old Blue Peter teams such as Noakes, Purves and Singleton would do a far better job of explaining Covid stats than anything any modern broadcaster seems able to muster. :'(

The point is to applaud the NHS frontline workers - not the organisation!

And all I said was, that I did not applaud the NHS this week.

I will personally continue to applaud all frontline staff, from healthcare workers through delivery services, to refuse collection crews, and more.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #439 on: May 08, 2020, 11:23:25 AM »

It all depends what angle you look at it from. https://www.euronews.com/2020/04/12/is-sweden-s-covid-19-strategy-working

As for respecting other countries approaches, that's fine when hundreds of thousands of lives aren't at stake and the country in question (the US) are at least using a scientific approach rather than pandering to capitalist overlords.  This is particularly relevant when said country were recently making a big fuss about anti-abortion, but apparently its okay to let people die from a pandemic because that's gods will.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #440 on: May 08, 2020, 11:49:15 AM »

Comparing different countries’ approaches is really tough.

For example, northern Italy was hit hard despite not being particularly densely populated. But Italian social norms involve a lot of close groups of people and physical contact (getting together for food, cheek-kissing for greetings, etc).

Sweden’s lack of lockdown may have been mitigated by the fact that as a society, they are more ‘distant’ than average, with a certain base level of social distancing and the highest number of single-occupant households in Europe.

There are so many behavioural variables that would affect the spread of a virus.

What *severely* irks me is when countries had expertly-researched, painstakingly-modelled plans for what to do in the event of an emerging novel virus... which were not acted on.  The dogs-dinner of a job we’ve made of the simple task of maintaining a stockpile of PPE is frankly embarrassing.
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #441 on: May 08, 2020, 05:29:41 PM »

One thing that really made my blood boil was when the Govt caved into media and political pressure, and started including care home deaths in the stats.

Some other countries include care-home deaths suspected to be Covid-related in their stats, some do not.  Some include such deaths at home, some do not.   I’ve no strong feelings which approach is right, I’m not even remotely qualified to have an opinion on the topic.

What really mattered to me was ongoing consistency allowing one weeks’ numbers to be compared with the next.  But suddenly, UK having having moved the goal posts half way through, that became very difficult (for me, at least).

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #442 on: May 09, 2020, 05:05:04 AM »

Surely ALL deaths should be included, period?

What really mattered to me was ongoing consistency allowing one weeks’ numbers to be compared with the next.  But suddenly, UK having having moved the goal posts half way through, that became very difficult (for me, at least).

That is a fair point though.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 05:08:02 AM by Alex Atkin UK »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #443 on: May 09, 2020, 09:14:31 AM »

Surely ALL deaths should be included, period?

I’ve no idea and will resist guessing, but there must be some reason why some countries choose to only count confirmed deaths in hospital.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #444 on: May 09, 2020, 11:24:06 AM »

Mostly stats collection issues. The UK's ONS is better than most as far as the timeliness of statistics on deaths go.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #445 on: May 09, 2020, 05:54:05 PM »

I notice Sainsburys are beginning to offer delivery slots again to those outside the ‘chosen few’.

Pretty useless as these slots only seem to cover the next 7 days, and very few are available.   For home delivery to work sensibly you need to plan more than 7 days ahead.  You need to know when the one after next is coming, else you have no idea how much to order.  But better than nothing.

I did get one more Tesco slot booked, due in about a fortnight.   I happened to awaken at about 2am one night, picked up the iPad, and found some slots.  Booked one then checked again a few mins later, all gone.    Unfortunately I have tried the experiment tried several times, and nothing to suggest the 2am trick is repeatable.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #446 on: May 09, 2020, 11:02:46 PM »

Sainsburys are particularly bad, for example they only let you order three bottles of milk.  As the milk I drink only comes in 750ml bottles, how the heck is that supposed to last a week?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #447 on: May 10, 2020, 12:05:28 AM »

One technique I’ve adopted, when viewing supermarket search results, is to sort by order of price, most expensive first.

That way it’s easy to find the multipacks.   And whereas you might be limited to say, three items of your favourite beer, if each ‘item’ is a pack of 12 bottles, it works out to be adequate.

Trouble with Tesco is, as a green gimmick predating Coronavirus, to reduce packaging, they started unbundling the multipacks. :(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #448 on: May 10, 2020, 12:15:16 AM »

Trouble with Tesco is, as a green gimmick predating Coronavirus, to reduce packaging, they started unbundling the multipacks. :(

But they were (using cans of tomato soup, for example) showing a price for four cans which was equal to the price of the plastic-wrapped multipack and not a price for four individual cans. (Hopefully that sentence makes sense . . . I'm sure I'll be told if it cannot be parsed.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #449 on: May 10, 2020, 12:17:26 AM »

But they were (using cans of tomato soup, for example) showing a price for four cans which was equal to the price of the plastic-wrapped multipack and not a price for four individual cans. (Hopefully that sentence makes sense . . . I'm sure I'll be told if it cannot be parsed.)

Problem is, they seem to be poorly implementing item restrictions because their online system was never designed for the scenario we found ourselves in.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 44