Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35151 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #420 on: April 24, 2020, 12:36:27 AM »

It’s hard to put one’s self in another’s shoes.   

But can’t help wondering... NHS workers, stressed to breaking point and struggling to sleep... Of all the things that might awaken them, from the dawn chorus of birds in the trees to nightmares reliving the past day’s events, would the sound of distant applause be so unwelcome even if it momentarily awakened them?

I guess it’s possible, but I’ve not heard any of them say it is the case.   Personally, I’ll continue, until the care workers themselves show the slightest hint that they’d like me to stop.

Fireworks of course are another matter.  People who set off excessively loud ones anytime, or even normal fireworks anytime other than Guy Fawkes night, should receive compulsory training on acceptable British tradition and cultural habits.  But that is true regardless of the threat from SARS-CoV-2.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 12:40:41 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #421 on: April 24, 2020, 02:22:12 AM »

It’s hard to put one’s self in another’s shoes.   

But can’t help wondering... NHS workers, stressed to breaking point and struggling to sleep... Of all the things that might awaken them, from the dawn chorus of birds in the trees to nightmares reliving the past day’s events, would the sound of distant applause be so unwelcome even if it momentarily awakened them?

Applause is fine, but people banging pots and pans, setting off fireworks, generally just making as much noise as possible - its just utterly insensitive and is pure competitiveness "oh look, I support the NHS more than you do".  Its not supposed to be a competition and shows a severe lack of consideration for others.

Incidentally, I'm fine when my sleep pattern is off and someone knocks at the door, or the neighbours do DIY, loud music even, that's perfectly understandable.  But when its noise for noises sake, it rubs me up the wrong way.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 02:24:53 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #422 on: April 24, 2020, 06:36:51 AM »

Think I heard clapping for first time yesterday, was faint.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #423 on: April 27, 2020, 05:35:09 PM »

Every Thursday I try to applaud key heroic key workers, including NHS.

But one thing the NHS has never been able to do, is write software or provide IT.  Pretty much everything they have done in IT has descended into farce.    That’s nothing for them to be ashamed of, I applaud them for health services and I rely on them for health, not phone apps.

But I do find it deeply worrying that when it comes to coronavirus tracking, NHS apparently think they know better than Google and Apple.  I very strongly suspect that they don’t.  :o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52441428

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #424 on: April 27, 2020, 07:42:14 PM »

Yes BUT I worry about Apple and Google using the data for nefarious reasons, I don't trust either of them on this.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #425 on: April 27, 2020, 07:48:37 PM »

Apple and Google already know your every move and have done for years.  I’m not saying not to worry about it, but it’s no reason to let the NHS fubar our Coronavirus progress.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #426 on: April 27, 2020, 07:54:57 PM »

Something I have found odd is this vulnerable persons list. I'm on it. But I got an email from Sainsbury that went to an old email address that I have never entered on any government form. It was one of the first email addresses I had from yahoo. It was a throwaway account that I kept using. So it has a made up name attached to it. But in the email they address it with my mothers first name even though she isn't on the vulnerable peoples list.

It took me many days and constantly prompting Sainsbury on twitter to get them to check it was a genuine email. It was.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #427 on: May 04, 2020, 05:23:57 PM »

Seems that all supermarkets around here have now completely stopped offering delivery slots, other than to the chosen few on the ‘vulnerable’ list. I haven’t seen a single new slot come up at any of them for about two weeks now.

That’s a deeply flawed strategy, imho.   Quite apart from the question of how accurate is the list, and how open it may be to fraudulent registrations, it completely fails to help those most in need... which are the people who are in self-isolation with symptoms of infection.  :'(

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #428 on: May 04, 2020, 07:02:35 PM »

Like, I Guess most others of my vintage. I just want to get on with the rest of my life. In in fancy real dangers lurked, more definite thsn some theory out of a fevered brain. Doubtlessly dsngers exist, but I do not want tolive in fear and mistrust.

Covid free, but cofined due to age and back pain since equinox,and a day in hospitsl for testd; imrovement was so slow, and I was getting incoherent to wife's and nearby daughter's concern.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #429 on: May 06, 2020, 08:12:01 AM »

No idea why this is a minor item on BBC page, but...

Neil Ferguson has resigned as govt advisor.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52553229

This is the guy who’s model persuaded our own govt, as well as others worldwide, to implement the suppression policies, aka lockdown.  He even got the message through to Donald Trump.   His model was used to force China to admit the initial scale in Wuhan.   

He seems to have been forced out by a Daily Telegraph smear on his personal life.   You might or might not feel any sympathy, but how the heck will we get on without him?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #430 on: May 06, 2020, 09:05:53 AM »

Coincidence that this story appeared on the day that the number of deaths passed that of Italy?

Could somebody remind me how the Telegraph covered the story of Boris knocking up his girlfriend while his wife is recovering from cancer please.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #431 on: May 06, 2020, 09:50:35 AM »

Coincidence that this story appeared on the day that the number of deaths passed that of Italy?

That’s what BBC and other UK trashy providers, said.    Truth is that San Marino, Belgium, Andorra, Italy and Spain all have currently higher death rates than the UK, as ratio of population.

Source..   https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/  - click on deaths per 1M pop.

Source is believed credible and reliable, has been referenced by Imperial College research teams.

USA is currently in 14th place, despite other BBC nonsense that imho verges upon ‘fake news’.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #432 on: May 06, 2020, 03:54:58 PM »

I think the USA is benefiting from their population being more spread out.  I fear they will catch up eventually thanks to the religious nuts who are still insisting on going to church.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #433 on: May 06, 2020, 04:41:12 PM »

To  be fair to Americans, I know quite a few, and none of the ones I know are nuts, religious or otherwise.  But there are over 300 million of them, so I’m sure the odd nut can be found for the sake of making them all look silly.

Getting back to Prof Ferguson, being forced to resign for breaking the lockdown rules imposed by Boris on his own advice.  Isn’t it comparable to a group of airline passengers throwing the only pilot out of window, halfway across the Atlantic, because he got caught doing something bad?.

Sticking with that analogy, I’m waiting for a version of the classic tannoy announcement joke..  “This is your stewardess Prime minister speaking.  Would anybody who knows how to land an aircraft advise on managing a global pandemic please make themselves known?” ::)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #434 on: May 08, 2020, 01:08:28 AM »

I’m really alarmed that NHS are forging ahead with their own contract tracing App.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/05/05/uk_coronavirus_app/

I really don’t care about privacy, as is being hyped in media coverage.  Governments already know all there is to be known about individuals, as do Apple and Google.   Privacy is a lost cause.   I just want an App that will help to keep Covid 19 under control, and I refuse to believe that NHS know more about mobile technology than Google and Apple.

My understanding is that NHS started working on an App before Apple and Google collaborated on a native interface common to both Android and iOS.    And in best NHS tradition, even when it was clear there was a better option, they ploughed on regardless.

I’m afraid I did not applaud the NHS this week. :(
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 44

anything