Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35376 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #390 on: April 19, 2020, 12:42:50 PM »

Handy site for anyone struggling to book a supermarket delivery.
It checks Tesco, Asda, Waitrose and Iceland.
No need to register, you can just skip entering your email to see the results.
You can pay to be notified when a slot appears if none are available.

https://shoppingslot.co.uk/
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #391 on: April 19, 2020, 01:28:50 PM »

how does it work without registering? as slot availability is dependent on local not national capacity.

I Cannot test either currently, seems they got problems. :(

Service Unavailable

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #392 on: April 19, 2020, 01:31:55 PM »

Working here. You simply enter your postcode.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #393 on: April 19, 2020, 01:35:54 PM »

Also worked here, only Iceland had slots available, and surprisingly they were for tomorrow.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #394 on: April 19, 2020, 01:36:34 PM »

now its working :) almost

when I clicked skip this step, then get the next 5xx error :(

502 Bad Gateway

Hitting refresh on the results got it loaded.

Same as ronski just iceland for tommorow.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #395 on: April 19, 2020, 03:24:50 PM »

Unless the supermarkets agree to notify the website, I don’t see how it can work well?

I’m fairly sure the supermarket sites have ‘bot detection, if that’s what it is called, because if I just keep trying, over and over again, it never works, I never get a slot, as if my ip address has been sent to back of queue.   The occasions on which I have been successful is when I pick up the tablet after a few hours, out of the blue, and then, if I’m very lucky, I get offered a slot on the first attempt.

The other issue they’d face is timing and response, you’d need to be pdq quick, especially if racing against other users.   I’ve noticed, when I occasionally check as above, and find new slots have appeared...  even if I don’t book one,  if I wait about 30 seconds and look again, chances are most if not all slots will have evaporated.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #396 on: April 19, 2020, 03:45:03 PM »

Interesting it showed nothing on ocado, yet mins later I was able to book a slot when I checked the site.   I suspect I do have priority now though as supposedly people without priority cannot even login to the site now until early evening.

Also I had a miss call just before midday today from someone on the nhs list team.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #397 on: April 19, 2020, 06:09:02 PM »

I can’t get to shoppinglot. Tried to ping it, no luck, tried http(s) connection to the usual ports, no joy, tried a remote ping test https://ping.eu - no joy either.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #398 on: April 19, 2020, 06:11:40 PM »

J0hn, my condolences, that’s awful. Our friend Pat who was in hospital with COVID-19 and is quite elderly is back home now, which I’m incredibly grateful for.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #399 on: April 20, 2020, 03:42:08 AM »

I can’t get to shoppinglot. Tried to ping it, no luck, tried http(s) connection to the usual ports, no joy, tried a remote ping test https://ping.eu - no joy either.

yeah its up and down, I had another 503 when I tried it again about an hour later.  They likely getting overwhelmed with demand for the service.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #400 on: April 20, 2020, 08:53:08 AM »

I had to go out yesterday to get petrol for my lawnmower, which included driving past Waitrose.

On a normal Sunday, the car park would be full and queuing, but it was largely deserted.    Looking through the window, it looked pretty empty inside.   Yet Waitrose seem to have completely stopped delivering to anybody not on the ‘vulnerable’ list, so how are all the healthy people getting groceries?

Makes me wonder whether an awful lot of people have found an angle to get themselves onto the ‘vulnerable’ list?   A bit like the number of incredibly fit professional racing cyclists who turn out to suffer from terrible Asthma, which happens to be treated with steroids.

Or maybe they conveniently have a vulnerable relative living nearby, or a neighbour on the list, and get their deliveries by proxy?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #401 on: April 20, 2020, 09:51:30 AM »

Waitrose reserve some new slots for over-70s and the otherwise vulnerable, but only for a short time. After that these slots become available for anyone.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #402 on: April 20, 2020, 10:04:42 AM »

Maybe there’s regional differences then, but I haven’t seen a Waitrose slot for weeks.

I note the availability list invariable shows “fully booked” for the next three days, and “unavailable” thereafter.   It would be interesting to know if the same “fully booked” vs “unavailable” distinction shows for their prioritised customers?

I’ve not tried to get myself listed.   Not yet 70 but my lungs have never been great after being hospitalised with pneumonia as an infant, then childhood asthma etc, and I suffer from a couple of other more modern ‘at risk’ conditions too.   Yet compared to my neighbour who recently had a multiple organ transplant, there is no way I can justify declaring myself to be in that category.   And anyway, I doubt if my pneumonia shows on any records.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #403 on: April 20, 2020, 10:13:30 AM »

On a normal Sunday, the car park would be full and queuing, but it was largely deserted.    Looking through the window, it looked pretty empty inside.   Yet Waitrose seem to have completely stopped delivering to anybody not on the ‘vulnerable’ list, so how are all the healthy people getting groceries?

• Still getting through all the stuff bought during the panic buying epidemic.
  • Doing single larger shops instead of multiple visits.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #404 on: April 20, 2020, 10:50:47 AM »

Or maybe they conveniently have a vulnerable relative living nearby, or a neighbour on the list, and get their deliveries by proxy?

That would be unlikely to work considering how few and far between slots are and I'd expect there are limits to how much of products you can buy it a single delivery.

Waitrose don't deliver in our area but if we were reliant on supermarket deliveries alone, we would have run out of bog roll weeks ago as we use WAY more than they let you order due to medical issues.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 44