Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35452 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #300 on: April 06, 2020, 02:50:29 PM »

That article linked to says that Sweden’s death toll is a lot higher than other Scandinavian countries. Denmark should be comparable but the other countries might differ due to geography, I don’t know, but because if the figure for Denmark I can see how the figure for Sweden can be said to be that bad solely due to Sweden’s geography; more like that scientist who has been advising the Swedish government is just a dangerous idiot. Was there a hint in the article that the Swedish government is getting cold feet and starting to ignore him and gong over to the approach of over sensible countries?

Bushman :
https://www.facebook.com/1786599751616434/posts/2928663017410096/
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 03:09:02 PM by Weaver »

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #301 on: April 06, 2020, 04:08:15 PM »

I've noticed when the BBC talk about someone who is sadly deceased they refer to it as "died with coronavirus". I've never heard that term before in general use in that context, it's usually "died of" or "died from". Does "died with" have a specific meaning or significance or is it just a BBCism?
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #302 on: April 06, 2020, 04:24:19 PM »

I've noticed when the BBC talk about someone who is sadly deceased they refer to it as "died with coronavirus". I've never heard that term before in general use in that context, it's usually "died of" or "died from". Does "died with" have a specific meaning or significance or is it just a BBCism?

I think they are covering for the possibility that some people in the statistics may be dying of other causes, even though they were also being treated for Covid-19.

So technically they are probably being accurate but I agree it sounds slightly strained sometimes, I wonder if the newsreaders have been told to put extra emphasis on the ‘with’?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #303 on: April 06, 2020, 04:39:05 PM »

I think it’s just the BBC’s lack of ability to write English. Both in ‘died with’ and died of/with/because of Coronavirus when what they mean is ‘covid-19th. You can’t say ‘someone died of/from/with [etc.] virus’

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #304 on: April 06, 2020, 05:00:06 PM »

No they mean exactly what they say. Their use of English seems correct to me.

The figures aren't for people who died because of covid19, but people who simply died with covid19 in their system.

Most deaths are people with underlying health conditions. It's easier to lump all deaths with covid19 together rather than try guess which patients were actually killed by the virus.
It keeps reporting between different healthcare systems similar, though differences still remain.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #305 on: April 06, 2020, 05:20:35 PM »

I see ... I think that makes sense. If someone "dies with dignity" then being dignified obviously isn't the cause of death, so possibly adding "symptoms" would make more sense to my ears. They "died with coronavirus symptoms" gives more weight to the cause of death perhaps being some other cause.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #306 on: April 06, 2020, 06:45:43 PM »

Big surprise, under government guidelines me and my mum are NOT considered vulnerable.

It seems the only people they are prioritising are people currently receiving treatment for cancer or lung disease.

Anyone with Asthma which is controlled is not included, despite the fact it obviously would no longer be controlled if they got COVID-19.

I almost died the last time I got gastroentiritis but no, apparently I'm not at risk despite the fact even the common flu has a high chance of going to be chest.  I've learnt how to breath out quickly enough to force up any build up on my chest to avoid that, its bad for my throat but better than a chest infection.

I've already had a rough winter with chest pain and my O2 dropping to 92%, very doubtful I'd survive pneumonia and if I did would be a greater drain on the NHS for the rest of my life.  You really get the feeling they just want us all to die.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 08:20:43 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #307 on: April 06, 2020, 06:46:49 PM »

Stock markets doing a tiny bit better today, attributed by some to favourable worldwide statistics.   UK and elsewhere are still expected to wait a bit longer before much improvement but globally it seems, there are positive signs from the various countries that have locked down. 

The fund managers that influence these markets do know a thing or two about number crunching, so lets’s hope they’re right. :fingers:

My own favourite source of stats... Toggle from linear to logarithmic on some of the country-specific data, you can see how the curves change a few weeks after suppression begins.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #308 on: April 06, 2020, 07:20:03 PM »

That’s not the same kind of relation or role with respect to the verb. I didn’t explain myself properly and I should have pointed out that there could be an accidental pattern of words that looks the same but which has a verb different internal structure and doesn’t mean the same thing. There is a name for this in linguistics: “he hit him with a stick” (instrument role argument); “he hit him with delight” (adjunct or adverbial); he was killed by a gun (“instrument role argument”); he was killed by a quiet stream (locative adjunct). Please forgive me if my memory is failing - it’s be been 23 years since I studied this stuff.

I meant to say that this was the wrong role word to use with this kind of role in the subcategorisation frame for this verb.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #309 on: April 06, 2020, 07:35:19 PM »

I think it’s just the BBC’s lack of ability to write English. Both in ‘died with’ and died of/with/because of Coronavirus when what they mean is ‘covid-19th. You can’t say ‘someone died of/from/with [etc.] virus’

I'd prefer to hear 'with Covid-19' but would find 'with the coronavirus' acceptable.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #310 on: April 06, 2020, 07:58:30 PM »

Amazon's idea of essentials is things like food, toilet paper, paper towels, sanitary products, etc. The idea that they would include IT stuff of any description in the prioritised essentials is a little strange.

You were lucky to see that on next day. Stock was in the right place at the right time.

Its not though, we rely on Amazon for a lot of essentials and Pantry is practically non-existent, all Morrisons products have been withdrawn (presumably not enough to supply their own stores and Amazon), etc.

Honestly I didn't expect they would include IT stuff in their essentials, it was the fact over the past week I've ordered three fans and a HDD and none of those were de-prioritised.  I guess it could be they suddenly have less delivery drivers or a different warehouse.

Must be warehouse or something, as if I put the cooler in the same order as a food item, they are not combined in the same delivery (at least not in the basket).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 08:02:38 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #311 on: April 06, 2020, 08:08:14 PM »

Sweden's epidemiologist thinks we have gone too far with the lockdown: https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/05/uks-lockdown-gone-far-says-swedens-leading-scientist-12512763/

I'm curious what Dominic Raab will advise later

Seriously?  When our cases were climbing more rapidly than Italy and their lockdown is WAY more strict than ours?

Natural herd immunity only ever happens by killing off everyone too weak to survive, how is that an acceptable outcome in a rich ration that has alternatives?

Some of the greatest scientific discoveries in history came from people who would have died before making those discoveries, had they been treated with the same "just let it happen" attitude!

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #312 on: April 06, 2020, 09:33:43 PM »

I managed to get a tesco delivery slot for Wednesday.

I noticed on the order confirmation it says
Your groceries will arrive Without Bags

How does that work?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #313 on: April 06, 2020, 09:52:42 PM »

I managed to get a tesco delivery slot for Wednesday.

I noticed on the order confirmation it says
How does that work?

Our first Tesco deliveries, a few weeks ago, were bagged.  It was the new style heavy duty plastic bags, makes me cringe at the wastage.

Saturday’s Tesco delivery wasn’t bagged.   We wouldn’t let him in the house and he didn’t want to come in anyway, so the shopping was all laid on the driveway, each individual item laid on the tarmac.  Thank goodness it was a dry day.   My guess is, having scaled down bag production  over the past year or two, there’s probably a shortage of bags.

Both our Waitrose deliveries have been bagged and better still, they’ve been using old fashioned lightweight single-use bags, much less plastic wastage.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #314 on: April 06, 2020, 09:54:11 PM »

Here at least the no bags rule has been suspended. The delivery arrives already bagged and the driver will leave them at your door and retreat. No need to sign for them either.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 44