Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35135 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #270 on: April 04, 2020, 02:49:20 PM »

This page from Office of National Statistics was linked from a BBC article earlier in the week; a summary of recent England/Wales deaths overall, and from Covid-19, compared with data from a five year average, which I personally find interesting.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending20march2020

I stress ‘interesting’ as that’s all it is.     I’d not suggest we start drawing any conclusions from things like this, unless we happen to be trained scientists.     But I do wish the BBC news reports would focus more on the huge amount of actual scientific data that is being produced, rather than just banging on about their traditional anti-government agenda (which seems to be their main focus no matter which party is in power).
the bbc have always been pro government and thats still the same now imo, we have the paper press printing hysteria whilst the bbc is still acting as the governments mouthpiece

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #271 on: April 04, 2020, 03:13:48 PM »

the bbc have always been pro government and thats still the same now imo, we have the paper press printing hysteria whilst the bbc is still acting as the governments mouthpiece

That is a matter of opinion.

Either way I’d like to see a lot more coverage of what the real experts have to say, and a lot less coverage of what small-time politicians have to say.   Now is just not the time for political points scoring.

There’s a huge amount of really interesting data out there, and not all of it is bad news.  Just use google to see what Prof Neil Ferguson and his teams at imperial college are producing from their models, which are providing input for the government’s SAGE operations.   It’s all in the public domain, but the BBC just want to keep banging on about testing strategies - which incidentally, seem to be broadly in line with Imperial College recognition of reality all along.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #272 on: April 05, 2020, 12:24:25 AM »

Anyone able to get delivery slots for supermarkets? Round my way they are all full thats the big 4 and Iceland. Not a sausage to be had. :(
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #273 on: April 05, 2020, 04:09:24 AM »

Janet managed to get a Teso delivery slot for in three weeks iirc. They don’t bring it to our home, just from the east coast to Skye, to a car park in Broadford, and customers pick their stuff up from there.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #274 on: April 05, 2020, 10:29:17 AM »

They don’t bring it to our home, just from the east coast to Skye, to a car park in Broadford, and customers pick their stuff up from there.

That sounds like a good idea to me, that might work here too.

A lot of the houses are spread out, and many are down time-consuming offshoots from the main road.  But we also have a decent sized village car park. We walk past that car park every day on our circuit of the village, as part of our authorised daily exercise.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #275 on: April 05, 2020, 11:01:18 AM »

I have Prime at the moment and Amazon seem to be adopting a sensible tactic, which is to de-prioritise non urgent stuff, but also bundle things together.

I ordered some car wash last week which they correctly assumed was not very urgent, so Prime delivery was scheduled for end of April.  Which was fine, the cars are obviously not being used at the moment.

Then I ordered a washing up rack for the sink which is actually quite urgent as we don’t have one, and the dishwasher has packed in.   Don’t know how they guessed that was urgent but it qualified for faster delivery, and I see the car wash has also been expedited to hitch a ride.  Both expected in a couple of days. :)

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #276 on: April 05, 2020, 11:35:53 AM »

Good to see that aside from the obvious none of the folks here have been obviously affected.

I imagine when it comes out in the wash a member here and there will test positive for antibodies having put it down as being a cold.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #277 on: April 05, 2020, 11:39:57 AM »

We already know of first tenuous connection with a fatality, spouse of one of other half’s former colleagues.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #278 on: April 05, 2020, 11:59:19 AM »

@7LM very sorry to hear about that.

First person I know has fallen ill with COVID-19. She is in hospital down in Staffordshire and I’m worried about her especially because she is elderly.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #279 on: April 05, 2020, 12:02:55 PM »

Yes. Know of a couple of people second hand and, sadly, there will probably be way more to come. That'll go for absolutely everyone that knows anyone sadly.

Best I can do is hope none of you good folks get unwell.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #280 on: April 05, 2020, 12:14:18 PM »

@7LM very sorry to hear about that.

Sympathies for us not really appropriate, it’s not somebody we knew well, if at all.   Obviously though, sympathies to his widow and family.

Yes. Know of a couple of people second hand and, sadly, there will probably be way more to come. That'll go for absolutely everyone that knows anyone sadly.

Best I can do is hope none of you good folks get unwell.

Let’s all join in that hope.

I’m seeing rather a lot of cyclists today from my window, most geared up in their lycra, some with rucksacks on their backs, some disappearing down towards the “pedestrian only” country paths.

I absolutely won’t do this of course, but must admit I can identify with anybody feeling a slight temptation to get in their own vehicle and drive all the way round M25, or maybe to Scotland and back on the M6, just for the experience of a deserted motorway.  I guess the same temptation on a smaller scale might apply to cycling.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #281 on: April 05, 2020, 12:32:17 PM »

7LM if you do the round-M25 thing then you will definitely be in a dystopian apocalypse movie just without the zombies but with the plague.

I’ve been reading a spreadsheet from Imperial College epidemiologists; the numbers for the USA look bad. the only possible good think to come out if it would be if the Americans finally turn on Rump and roast him alive on a spit over this, although I’d settle for a Gaddafi. He was giving himself marks out of ten for his own fanciful prediction for 100k deaths if I heard correctly; doesn’t look like there’s much chance of that now. Congratulating himself for an utter disaster.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #282 on: April 05, 2020, 01:11:23 PM »

7LM if you do the round-M25 thing then you will definitely be in a dystopian apocalypse movie just without the zombies but with the plague.

See this BBC pic from last week, of the famous ‘give peas a chance’ bridge.  And note the traffic levels!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52089188

But let me make clear, to avoid criticism, and to avoid arrest, I can absolutely guarantee I will be resisting that temptation.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #283 on: April 05, 2020, 01:25:58 PM »

Why would you be arrested for being on the M25?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #284 on: April 05, 2020, 01:29:07 PM »

May be not arrested, but if he didn't have a good explanation then he would be told to go home, and possibly fined.

However he could take a virtual tour via the traffic cam's http://www.trafficengland.com/#map-menu-traffic-information - need to turn camera's on in the layers options

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 44