Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35110 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #240 on: April 01, 2020, 10:46:50 PM »

Two cases in Broadford, Skye. And a couple in the Western Isles too. Janet says aliens came up here, from London even, driving through the night to get here before the lockdown, plus children returning home in a hurry. Janet had group video chat with all her many friends in Heasta using Facebook Messenger, not even going down into the village to meet people. Because we're both done for if Janet gets it.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #241 on: April 01, 2020, 11:20:45 PM »

I never understood the sending all the University students home, to me that just means spreading it even further and potentially putting their parents at risk.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #242 on: April 01, 2020, 11:27:10 PM »

I hope to god primates can’t get COVID-19 from humans.
Yes they can  :(   the virus is 'zoonotic'  That is a disease that can spread from animals to humans and humans to animals.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #243 on: April 01, 2020, 11:29:14 PM »

Oh god. That must have implications for the keepers?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #244 on: April 01, 2020, 11:49:25 PM »

Yes they can  :(   the virus is 'zoonotic'  That is a disease that can spread from animals to humans and humans to animals.

There seems to be a lot of debate over exactly how and what though.

For example I've seen it mentions that you can pass it to cats, but it doesn't affect them and they can't pass it back to humans.

Obviously primates is a different thing and far more likely you can.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #245 on: April 01, 2020, 11:56:17 PM »

That’s not what zoonotic means.   But can I very very strongly suggest we leave the science to experts?

I am simply not interested in anything that Guardian columnists or BBC newsreaders have to say, or ‘shadow ministers’, or ‘former secretaries’ have to say, or even what a prime minister has to say, unless they have a suitable degree from a serious university, and recent real-world work experience in the field of epidemiology.

The only scientific models I have been following are those of Imperial College, who’s teams seem to have good credibility.  Google will find useful information and data.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #246 on: April 02, 2020, 02:33:08 AM »

The CDC website on Zoonotic diseases is hilarious, they've obviously never had pets.

Thankfully, there are things you can do to protect yourself and your family from zoonotic diseases.

Prevent bites from mosquitoes, ticks, and fleas.

Avoid bites and scratches from animals.

Yeah, good luck with that. :lol: :lol:

On the topic though, I notice none of our neighbours seem to be concerned that their cats could infect them if someone infected coughs on their fur (plus theres some people nearby who love to spit on everything that I cat could easily walk in or brush on their fur).

I don't know anyone who is particularly careful to wash after coming into contact with their outdoor cat.  ???

Fortunately our youngest cat has been raised as an indoor cat and our eldest has issues so doesn't go out any more either.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #247 on: April 02, 2020, 10:24:26 AM »

This page from Office of National Statistics was linked from a BBC article earlier in the week; a summary of recent England/Wales deaths overall, and from Covid-19, compared with data from a five year average, which I personally find interesting.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending20march2020

I stress ‘interesting’ as that’s all it is.     I’d not suggest we start drawing any conclusions from things like this, unless we happen to be trained scientists.     But I do wish the BBC news reports would focus more on the huge amount of actual scientific data that is being produced, rather than just banging on about their traditional anti-government agenda (which seems to be their main focus no matter which party is in power).

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #248 on: April 02, 2020, 10:47:45 AM »

That’s not what zoonotic means.   But can I very very strongly suggest we leave the science to experts?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoonosis

My daughter has a PHD in the subject.  :)

Most zoo's take 'Bio security' very seriously .
Even if someone has a cold let alone this nasty virus. 
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #249 on: April 02, 2020, 12:03:44 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoonosis

My daughter has a PHD in the subject.  :)

Most zoo's take 'Bio security' very seriously .
Even if someone has a cold let alone this nasty virus.

You said (my emphasis)

Wikipedia (your link) says
A zoonosis (plural zoonoses, or zoonotic diseases) is an infectious disease caused by bacteria, viruses, or parasites that spread from non-human animals (usually vertebrates) to humans.

... no mention of reverse transfer (humans to animals) in the common usage.

I have seen convincing (to me, as a layman) evidence that COVID-19 made a one-off zoonotic leap from animals to humans.  I have seen no such convincing evidence that the human version of the virus has made another leap back into animals.  That may be because I encountered the evidence and did not understand it, or the evidence has not surfaced yet, or because no such evidence exists.   But whichever of there, I'd leave it to the scientists to decide the truth and reach some consensus, before declaring it as a 'fact' on a chat forum.

CDC say (page last reviewed on 28th March)
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html/#animals
There is no reason at this time to think that any animals, including pets, in the United States might be a source of infection with this new coronavirus that causes COVID-19. To date, CDC has not received any reports of pets or other animals becoming sick with COVID-19 in the United States.

Same page also acknowledges. however
You should restrict contact with pets and other animals while you are sick with COVID-19, just like you would around other people. Although there have not been reports of pets or other animals becoming sick with COVID-19, it is still recommended that people sick with COVID-19 limit contact with animals until more information is known about the new coronavirus.

I do avoid patting my neighbour's friendly dog.  But that is simply because he (the neighbour, not the dog) is in the 'extremely vulnerable' category and I don't want to touch anything that he may touch soon afterwards... dogs included. :)

edit: added link to CDC
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:57:21 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #250 on: April 02, 2020, 05:37:35 PM »

[Totally off-topic: That’s an amazingly long pathname with long filenames in it from that .gov.uk website. When I was writing some code 15 years ago to generate a website, I considered writing a module that generated file names for pages so that urls could be kept short and so that there could be no breakage of links if web pages were renamed (because the filenames could never be allowed to change). Filenames would be generated and stored in a database so that uniqueness could be guaranteed; you looked up filenames and ‘incremented’ a name somehow as required using some tricky tbs code that I was still working on when I became ill and got distracted from the project.]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 05:41:10 PM by Weaver »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #251 on: April 02, 2020, 07:11:21 PM »

Apols for the long URL, blame the government.

I could have used a hyperlink but actually I disapprove of hyperlinks, so I rarely use them. I think people should be encouraged to look at a URL in plain text, before deciding whether to visit.

If I had my way html hyperlinks would be uninvented banned, from all websites, everywhere.  But don’t worry, I am aware that as is so often the case, I am in a tiny minority.   :D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #252 on: April 02, 2020, 08:20:22 PM »

No need to apologise, I wasn’t complaining, just amazed by that webserver. Such long names are a small drag on performance where there are a lot of them. I shortened all of my pathnames to the absolute minimum in the project mentioned earlier.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #253 on: April 02, 2020, 11:38:19 PM »

Apols for the long URL, blame the government.

I could have used a hyperlink but actually I disapprove of hyperlinks, so I rarely use them. I think people should be encouraged to look at a URL in plain text, before deciding whether to visit.

If I had my way html hyperlinks would be uninvented banned, from all websites, everywhere.  But don’t worry, I am aware that as is so often the case, I am in a tiny minority.   :D

The thing is though, when they were inventing you could SEE where it was going to take you before clicking it, and trust that its being reported accurately.

Thank Javascript for making it so we can't 100% trust that the destination is where it says its going to be, and touch devices for taking away the ability to easily view the destination of a link.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #254 on: April 03, 2020, 08:57:08 AM »

How to build a hospital...

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/download?ac=3180222

Ps: above was found on BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52125059

Mr Hepburn said his team has drawn up an instruction manual to share with other countries taking on similar emergency projects - and people in Australia and Canada have already contacted them.

Turns out the link only works once per device, maybe paywalled by a browser cookie.   Pity.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 09:39:04 AM by sevenlayermuddle »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 44