Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35117 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #210 on: March 28, 2020, 07:23:12 PM »

Battery included VAT. :)

Back to closer to topic, on our authorised afternoon exercise stroll, we sometimes have to dodge cyclists.  I kind of disapprove as, for the same amount of calories, they are covering a far greater distance, potentially spreading infection wider.

But today I saw something better still.  A lady out for exercise, circuiting around the village, on her motorised scooter. ???

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2020, 07:34:36 PM »

Do we think cyclists are spreading infection if they do not stop and stand close to other people? Or they zoom past and let out a perfectly timed cough directed at a close pedestrian they are passing by?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2020, 07:40:37 PM »

You are free to believe what you choose, Weaver. ;)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #213 on: March 28, 2020, 07:50:16 PM »

I have no idea - I’m wondering what you and others think though :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2020, 08:08:09 PM »

Well my own belief, as previously hinted, is that the further we travel in pursuit of our daily exercise the greater the risk.   There’s no need to speculate as to specific coughing scenarios, the simple equation is... larger area equates to larger risk.

Until a couple of weeks ago we’d actually been driving out to our favourite woodland, about 5 miles away.   We’d never meet another soul within 200 feet yet alone 2 metres.   But government advice seemed to discourage that in favour of a local walk, so we complied. :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #215 on: March 28, 2020, 08:31:38 PM »

I was thinking about the exact physical transmission mechanism, person-to-person but I know nothing.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #216 on: March 28, 2020, 10:30:42 PM »

Thanks Ronski, I might have heard Janet mention the mortgage holiday thing, but I forgot. I suppose we might as well get one, if you have to ask for one as opposed to getting it automatically. That might save us a bit of money.

In my brothers case it was as simple as filling out an online form, and no they are not automatic, as many can still afford to pay so don't need one.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #217 on: March 29, 2020, 12:21:00 AM »

Do we think cyclists are spreading infection if they do not stop and stand close to other people? Or they zoom past and let out a perfectly timed cough directed at a close pedestrian they are passing by?

Funny you should say that, as I was just thinking how I wouldn't want to cycle right now as the deep breathing makes it more risky that I would pick something up from a pedestrian or car driving past with the window open.

So personally I think the cyclist is more at risk than anyone they are passing.  I suppose in theory the cyclist could spread it further, but that would depend on them coughing on a whole lot of people.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #218 on: March 29, 2020, 04:17:47 PM »

Had a trip to see Trevor Noah at the end of this week planned.

Obviously not happening, the gig was cancelled a couple of weeks back, however the hotel cancelling and refunded our booking of their own volition, which is nice, and LNER gave an immediate refund after the website request was made.

I very much hope that when all this is over companies will continue with these kinds of cancellation policies. It's so much more pleasant to not have to spend an age fighting through a retentions team or having to inform who the first person outside of your parents to see you naked was before they'll offer a refund.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2020, 04:40:37 PM »

Talk about good news and bad...

The #1 good news... had a waitrose delivery today.   Confirmation email showed very little missing.   Roast chicken for dinner tonight.  :)

The bad news... as I unpacked the bags, there’s a lot missing.   Not great monetary value, but basically all the fresh veg and bread, presumably that crate was left on the truck.   I’m not going to give them a hard time, might not even mention it.   I’m sure they’re just desperately busy and last thing they need is complaints.

The #2 good news... I opened Tesco.com.   Miraculously, there before my eyes, a few slots available on Wednesday.  These slots have all vanished again, nothing at all left, but not before I got one booked. :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #220 on: March 29, 2020, 07:05:34 PM »

Mum was really unimpressed.

Ocado said "we are closing the website for 48 hours, no slots will be available".
Less than 24 hours later, they had opened up slots without warning and they were fully booked by the time she noticed.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #221 on: March 29, 2020, 07:07:14 PM »

Searching for delivery slots seem to be the new online sport  ;D

I got an unexpected slot on Iceland's site the other day, and got it delivered today. It was pretty good, only 4 items missing, which they refunded the money for.

I noticed Iceland is the only one so far I've seen accept Paypal, which made checking out even easier.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #222 on: March 30, 2020, 11:00:26 AM »

Home delivery substitutions have their benefits.

A guilty secret of mine is that, for many years, I have indulged in a cup of instant hot chocolate at bed time.   There is only one brand and flavour that I like.   I’d never dream of buy anything else, so was a bit disappointed yesterday to find it had been substituted for the ‘white chocolate’ flavour.  :'(

And guess what, I now know that I quite like that one too. :D

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #223 on: March 31, 2020, 01:00:14 PM »

Just putting this out there for those making xenophobic comments on the origin of this pandemic.

https://twitter.com/samharveyrural/status/1244328444994949124?s=19

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #224 on: March 31, 2020, 01:17:02 PM »

Just putting this out there for those making xenophobic comments on the origin of this pandemic.

https://twitter.com/samharveyrural/status/1244328444994949124?s=19

Good idea. :)

It seems to me we have an awful lot for which to be grateful to China.   

In particular imho for demonstrating that social isolation, lockdowns and quarantining can work.   If this had started in pretty much any of the Western economies, without the Chinese role model for us to follow, I find it hard to imagine such drastic government action would have been possible, or acceptable to the western populations.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 44