Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35115 times)

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #180 on: March 26, 2020, 06:49:30 PM »

Virtually every organisation I've ever had dealings with are suddenly emailing me expressing their undying concern for my welfare.
Except Amazon.   :hmm:

I've got this earworm now... 

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=432xJEBNgaQ[/youtube]
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #181 on: March 26, 2020, 07:32:28 PM »

Finally some good news this afternoon for the self employed who have zero income now. But we have to wait until June before we can get any money and then eat. God only knows what the government think people who are broke now and can not afford to eat are supposed to do; can’t pay their rent, mortgage, fuel bills. Janet says the government should just give everyone a fixed lump of cash right now, no questions asked so no assessment and admin bureaucracy required. People can then eat tomorrow.

Tory fat cat thinking, everyone has huge credit cards and can just live off those for four months. Like my wife’s 93 year old mum who’s never even had a credit card. And lots of people I know who could never get one.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #182 on: March 26, 2020, 08:07:25 PM »

Anybody else been out to applaud at 8?

I waited patiently by the garden fence just before 8.   Eerie silence.  Then the clapping started, echoing through the village.  I couldn’t see where it was coming from as everybody was in their gardens, but glad I joined in. :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #183 on: March 26, 2020, 08:15:22 PM »

There's going to be loads of people who don't need any financial help as they have plenty of money, I'd rather they didn't get any money dished out to them as they don't need it, and that money went to people who really do need it, like my brother who's in a financial mess partly due to his own constant bad decisions, but now made much worse because as a self employed painter and decorator on immunosuppressants he can't work.

It’s no good having garages shut. What happens when key workers’ vehicles need repair ? What happens when ambulances need repair? They need to rethink the guidelines for garages, possible reverse the guidance selectively.

Garage's are classed as essential, hence why I'm still at work because my boss won't shut up shop, I class only one of our customers as essential. That customer owns one truck, runs a farm and several farm shops, all our other customers are not related with the food industry at all. There's normally three of us in the workshop, but one is 68 so I sent him home Monday, he has holiday to use up before the end of the month so I told him to take. Today my boss sent the other fitter out on a house removal, putting him at higher risk (he has mild asthma) than in the workshop. There was other complications with the job/crew which also put him at risk, then I was asked to call the 68 year old back in, which I refused to do. Bosses answer was that he's under 70 so its fine! Perhaps Weavers local garage is run by someone who has an underlying health issue, or has just decided that it's so quiet they've shut up shop.

Yes we we're out clapping, I could hear from the surrounding streets too.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #184 on: March 26, 2020, 08:36:15 PM »

Hi

I hope everyone is well and keeping safe

I would be careful over deciding which vehicles should receive service from garages etc...

I had to have some new tyres fitted and the garage had a similar view ronski. However they changed their mind when they found out why I was still working/travelling, been classed as a key worker and agreed not all vehicles gives any clue as their usage.

Many thanks

John

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #185 on: March 26, 2020, 08:51:07 PM »

Not just Ronski and I, then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-52054745/clap-for-our-carers-national-applause-for-coronavirus-health-workers

I’ve no idea who hear me, other than the others out clapping. But it’d be nice to think that everybody involved in healthcare, wherever they were, whatever town city or village they might have been passing through, would have heard some applause. :)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #186 on: March 26, 2020, 10:12:21 PM »

Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #187 on: March 27, 2020, 01:51:20 AM »

On NHS night, at 8pm, Janet and George her donkey sang together "You’ll never walk alone" out by the front door of the house.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #188 on: March 27, 2020, 05:55:40 AM »

On NHS night, at 8pm, Janet and George her donkey sang together "You’ll never walk alone" out by the front door of the house.

Does George sing in Gaelic?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #189 on: March 27, 2020, 06:22:16 AM »

I would be careful over deciding which vehicles should receive service from garages etc...

We have a very small regular customer base (and I know pretty well what they all do), we don't do cars, and it's extremely rare we get new customers, mainly due to our location, the workshop is not the companies main source of income although they would like it to earn more. One fitter is 68, one has asthma, and then there's me running the workshop and fitting as well.

If we did close then customers would be able to get hold of me presuming I'm well if required, if not there are plenty of other options nearby hence also the lack of new business.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #190 on: March 27, 2020, 01:54:29 PM »

Many retail outlets have introduced queuing systems - but this is the first time I've seen anything like this. Wickes have a queue - for their website!

https://www.wickes.co.uk
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2020, 02:19:35 PM »

Many retail outlets have introduced queuing systems - but this is the first time I've seen anything like this. Wickes have a queue - for their website!

https://www.wickes.co.uk

My mum has just been stuck in a queue for the Ocado website.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2020, 02:26:13 PM »

In the case of Wickes I guess that isn't too surprising. They've no doubt got an enormous increase in online orders from trades people and DIY'ers who would normally go to the store.

Actually, when the panic buying was at its height, Waitrose had a queuing system too.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #193 on: March 27, 2020, 02:53:36 PM »

I ordered some items for delivery from Screwfix last week.  The website was working well, the items I wanted were in stock, and my order was accepted.

Then after 10 minutes I received a phone call to say the items were out of stock after all.  :(

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #194 on: March 27, 2020, 07:22:22 PM »

Just watching the new's, and they mentioned milkmen, seems they still exist and are doing a roaring trade recently, so if you have a local milkman it would be worth contacting them as they do more than just milk.

https://www.milkandmore.co.uk/ Seems they've stopped accepting new customers, but other firms will be out there.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 07:25:41 PM by Ronski »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44

anything