Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35122 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2020, 01:37:23 PM »

Asda have opened up delivery slots and also added a queue to their website, I managed to get 3 orders in, first one next week.

Apparently iceland have opened up slots also.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2020, 02:20:19 PM »

I’m not sure I approve, as it may encourage people to think it’s OK to open links in unsolicited text messages, as long as they ‘come from the Govt’. :-\

The first thing I did was think it was some spam/phishing attempt. I'm not sure why they need to put a link in the text.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #167 on: March 25, 2020, 08:56:31 PM »

The first thing I did was think it was some spam/phishing attempt. I'm not sure why they need to put a link in the text.

Apparently my mums phone marked it as SPAM.  :no:
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #168 on: March 25, 2020, 10:00:27 PM »

Got mine today. Seems Vodafone a bit behind. Seems EE we’re first of the starting block. However the message is the  same of course giving concern over the source for the link.

On a side note, I’m really saddened by the fact criminals are using this as an opportunity, and on line scams are apparently on the increase.

I noted to day MS has put some restrictions on video on “Teams” suggesting they are getting some pressure on their infrastructure. That said it’s a very good WFH solution, had several multi conference calls with adequate success.

Keep safe all

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #169 on: March 25, 2020, 11:54:54 PM »

I’ve noticed over the past week pretty much a total cessation of the usual scam calls about computer viruses, broadband faults, Amazon Prime, and HMRC investigations.

Sadly I suspect, the call centres are simply retraining all their staff for Coronavirus scams. :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #170 on: March 26, 2020, 01:46:54 AM »

We gave a home to 2 Kittens at the weekend they needed litter and managed to get that also. They are Arthur and Elsie 10 weeks siblings abandoned. In good health but timid. Not yet introduced them to Lucy dog and tri paw Albert.

Congratulations on your new additions  ^-^
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2020, 03:22:49 AM »

Asda have opened up delivery slots and also added a queue to their website, I managed to get 3 orders in, first one next week.

Thank you.  Thank you.

Yesterday they had nothing for all the open calendar (end Apr).   I just checked and managed to get one for next week. 
By the time I placed my order it was 2am, but I noticed all the open slots were filling fast so I started stacking orders and got one for the following week and did that too...  then I got to the checkout and it asked me that as an annual pass holder would I like to make this date and time a recurring weekly slot  YES!  
I'm dog tired and aimed to be in bed before midnight.. but this took priority.   

However I'm not sure if I understand this bit   ???

You have booked a recurring slot:

Thu Apr 16 2020

10:00AM -11:00AM -Every 1 week until Friday, 27th March 2020

Order by: 12am, Tuesday, 14th April 2020
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #172 on: March 26, 2020, 03:34:11 AM »

Got mine today. Seems Vodafone a bit behind. Seems EE we’re first of the starting block. However the message is the  same of course giving concern over the source for the link.

I'm with vodafone and mine came through 24th March @ 16:42
-----

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #173 on: March 26, 2020, 06:26:55 AM »

Update from Sainsbury's Chief Executive Mike Coupe

Dear Customer,
I have written to you regularly over the past few weeks as we continue to change how we work in line with Government advice and in response to your feedback. Changes we've made already, including limiting the number of items customers can buy and creating priority shopping times for NHS workers and for elderly and vulnerable customers, are all working well.
I am writing today to tell you what we are doing to keep you and our colleagues safe in our stores and what we are doing to get food to those that need it the most.
Keeping you and our colleagues safe
Starting today, we will limit the number of people allowed in our stores and at our ATMs at any one time. We are putting queuing systems in place outside stores and will ask everyone to please queue at a safe distance of 2 metres apart. Since we put limits on the number of items people could buy, food and other essential items are on shelves for longer each day so please arrive throughout the day to avoid long queues forming in the morning. We will be reminding people in stores to keep a safe distance from other customers and from our colleagues. Customers buying petrol will be asked to pay at the pump where they can.
We are reducing the number of checkouts we open in supermarkets, convenience stores and petrol filling stations to help our colleagues and customers keep a safe distance from each other. We are also introducing safety screens at every manned checkout to help keep our colleagues safe when serving customers. We are regularly sanitising all customer areas of our stores including chip and pin machines, baskets and trolleys.
Please pay by card at the till if you can. If you are unable to pay by card and want to pay by cash, please use our self scan tills which will stay open for cash payments. Many customers are now using our SmartShop app on their own devices when shopping in our stores. This means you can scan your own shopping as you go round the store, put food and other essential items straight into your own bags and pay for your groceries at a special till before leaving. Which means less interaction with other customers and colleagues and less time queuing to pay.
Elderly and vulnerable customers
Many of you have written to me to tell me you are elderly or vulnerable and are struggling to book online delivery slots. We are doing our absolute best to offer online delivery slots to elderly, disabled and vulnerable customers. These customers have priority over all slots. Our customer Careline has been inundated with requests from elderly and vulnerable customers – we have had one year's worth of contacts in two weeks.
We have proactively contacted 270,000 customers who had already given us information that meant we could identify them as being in these groups. Our customer Careline is working at full capacity to help other customers within these groups and we are able to give an additional 8,000 customers a day access to delivery slots over the phone. We have already booked in slots for 115,000 elderly, disabled and vulnerable customers this week and this number is growing every day.
We will receive the government database this week which tells us which people in England the government considers to be most vulnerable. Where these people are already registered with us, we will start to write to them next week to offer them a delivery slot. We are also working hard to secure details for vulnerable people living in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
I apologise to our regular online customers, who I know are feeling very frustrated at not being able to book slots. Please bear with us and I hope you can understand why we feel the need to prioritise elderly and vulnerable customers at the moment.
Communities working together
And this brings me onto my final request. We really are doing our best to manage a very difficult situation. Demand for online grocery delivery is higher now than it has ever been. We are working hard to increase our online capacity and we are adding more slots in every day. But it is not possible for us to create enough slots to meet the current level of demand.
We are seeing communities come together to work on this issue. We know that many people who are able to come into a store to shop are also shopping for others who can't access food online or get to a shop. We want to encourage and support this. If everyone who shops in store also shops for a person who is less able, it will go a long way towards getting food to everyone who needs it.
Our teams are also working with national and local government and a range of charities to see how we can best help food banks and other community groups. I'll update you soon on what we are doing in this area.
Lastly - thank you for all the support that you are giving our colleagues. As we do everything we can to feed the nation, your kind comments make a huge difference.
Best wishes

Mike
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #174 on: March 26, 2020, 10:01:38 AM »

I noted to day MS has put some restrictions on video on “Teams” suggesting they are getting some pressure on their infrastructure. That said it’s a very good WFH solution, had several multi conference calls with adequate success.

It's going to be interesting to see how things have changed after all this is over. Will a lot more people find that Teams, video conferencing and other ways of doing things remotely is actually a far more efficient way of doing things and so business travel will be a lot less? Will they realise that HS2 is a huge waste of public money when a businessman can get from London to Manchester for a face to face meeting in about 10ns?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #175 on: March 26, 2020, 11:09:51 AM »

It's going to be interesting to see how things have changed after all this is over. Will a lot more people find that Teams, video conferencing and other ways of doing things remotely is actually a far more efficient way of doing things and so business travel will be a lot less? Will they realise that HS2 is a huge waste of public money when a businessman can get from London to Manchester for a face to face meeting in about 10ns?

I have always had a little personal theory that as society evolves, people’s memories get longer.   By that I mean, within of few years of the 1918 pandemic we had the roaring twenties.  People seemed to have moved on.

This time I think it might be different.   I suspect we’ll remain conscious of the benefits of social distancing for years to come.   Heck I’ll think, if it can stop me getting Covid-19 this year, it might stop me catching a cold next year, which would seem great.  I’ll be deeply suspicious whenever anybody sneezes or coughs anywhere near me, and handshaking may vanish entirely.

And I may well find myself thinking twice before embarking on a cramped public transport in future, be it an economy flight or HS2.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #176 on: March 26, 2020, 05:09:26 PM »

We know that many people who are able to come into a store to shop are also shopping for others who can't access food online or get to a shop. We want to encourage and support this. If everyone who shops in store also shops for a person who is less able, it will go a long way towards getting food to everyone who needs it.

Meanwhile, the local Coop idiots are preventing exactly this by limiting the number of items that one person can buy. My neighbours are helping getting stuff for other neighbours. Mrs Weaver’s car needs a new battery and I haven’t managed to persuade her to get another one ordered yet. Local garage is shut which is a nightmare but she could presumably order one on the web - I’ve found excellent suppliers, as long as they can deliver and aren’t prejudiced against Skye or the whole Highlands as some moronic suppliers are. Anyway she is off the road till she can scrounge a jumpstart from a neighbour. Anyway, neighbours have fetched supplies for us, medicines and food. Sainsbury’s are going the right way and the Coop the wrong way.

They need to massively increase the amount of online deliveries including order on web+collect-at-store. This will prevent users going into the stores which are very harmful centres for infection. Even just increasing the latter will mean people go to but not into the stores.

It’s no good having garages shut. What happens when key workers’ vehicles need repair ? What happens when ambulances need repair? They need to rethink the guidelines for garages, possible reverse the guidance selectively.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2020, 05:32:41 PM »

To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #178 on: March 26, 2020, 06:25:00 PM »

Mrs Weaver orders a lot of food and supplies on an auto-repeating order from Amazon if I have understood correctly, you don’t even have to do anything, it’s not one-click but just zero-click. If I have got this right that could be a good tip for those of us struggling with supermarkets’ pathetically inadequate home delivery systems.

Hopefully the supermarkets will get a kick up the backside and scale their home deliveries up fast. And hopefully this will be a permanent change too.

The government needs to reform its functions like in 1939, to war time roles. We need a minister of supply, minster of COVID-19, minister of food and especially a minister of bog roll  ;D

They also need to get volunteers doing deliveries and volunteers helping the supply chain. Get retired food and logistics workers to un-retired and come back.

Someone I know works for British Rail or whatever on earth it’s called nowadays. She has been reorganising goods trains to take longer trains so they can haul more stuff. It is I think in some way related to the current crisis, perhaps related to lack of lorry drivers. So they are wanting her to go in to work otherwise the uk transport system breaks down.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #179 on: March 26, 2020, 06:36:15 PM »

Talking of car batteries reminds me.  If we continue to be successful in self-isolating and not going out at all, I don’t think we’ll be jailed for taking the cars out for a short drive once every two weeks or so.

Should avoid the batteries going flat in case they are suddenly required and also avoid other probs too, from rusty brake discs to cobwebs in the carburettors.

Yes I know there’s no carburettors any more, I just enjoyed saying that. :D
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44