Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35156 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2020, 03:21:55 PM »

One thing I’ve found that Waitrose seem to do is, every time you amend an order, they knock three hours off the final deadline for amendments.  This makes it even harder to follow the availability, and to add last minute items.

as I was first order of the day.     

I wonder if being first order is necessarily a good thing, now that some are opening early to cater for elderly and vulnerable customers.   Much as I have every sympathy for the elderly and vulnerable, I see no reason to doubt that they’ll be as likely as any other group to get greedy and completely clear the shelves.  And being early, might be leaving nothing much for first deliveries?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2020, 03:43:56 PM »

Another thing about being first order, it may be picked before the shelves have been re-stocked.

What's constantly annoyed me is they can have stock in the back but the pickers have to use stock on the shelves.

I know this from a friend who used to work at Sainsburys, they are heavily discouraged from checking the back as they have strict time limits.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2020, 05:28:11 PM »

They’re predicting Boris is going to tighten the restrictions, after people not taking it seriously.

I do hope we’re still allowed out for walks.   There’s an obvious ‘circuit’ of our village that we’ve been walking every day, about a mile.   In the unlikely event we meet any other villagers a protocol is observed by all... cross to opposite sides of the road before passing.  It’ll be a shame if we have to stop that.

On a lighter note I’ve heard that in parts of Italy, the only acceptable excuse for going out is to walk the dog.  To this end, people without dogs are pleading to borrow dogs from neighbours and walk them.   The dogs, it seems, are becoming utterly exhausted. :D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2020, 09:28:41 AM »

Well we all know the new restrictions. And according to Victoria Derbyshire, London tubes still crowded. :(

Most of these people presumably regard themselves as key workers.  Maybe they are, or maybe not.   But time, perhaps, to start asking  at station entrances for evidence of their work status, or  purpose of their journey?    Maybe even hand out a few fines?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2020, 11:51:27 AM »

The guy I think I've mentioned before, who thought he had covid-19 and his work told him to still come in. Then during the next week he had the test and it proved positive. I think he got a few days off work.

Today he said he had to go to work via the tube, which was crammed full of people. Then he said when he walked past a supermarket, who were only allowing people one at a time for social distancing, outside everyone was standing next to each other in a long queue!

On the workers front, I can see if their employer is saying come in or you're sacked then people are likely to have to go in. The employers should really be punished for it.

Excluding the employment front, the people still going to crowded areas are really dumb. How can they not be self aware that standing in a crowd makes them more at risk of getting it. From what I can tell this virus seems to attack certain people badly and others get off lightly. But to even take the chance is stupid imho.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2020, 11:54:47 AM »

While there will be many people travelling who shouldn’t be, the situation on the tube isn’t helped by the fact the Mayor has reduced tube services so they only run every 10/15 minutes - which makes social distancing almost impossible even if the numbers travelling reduced.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2020, 12:11:22 PM »

The BBC interviewed a few self employed hairdressers today.   Now forced to lose their income, they have my sympathy.

But to me, the BBC maybe missed a point.   If the great British population had got the message, there would be no need to force hairdressers to close, because in the past week or two, nobody in their right mind would have been turning up for a haircut.

I therefor conclude, from the fact that hairdressers were still getting customers until legally banned, evidence the public have not yet got the message.  :'(

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2020, 12:29:36 PM »

We are going to see the army on the streets within a few days.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2020, 01:50:38 PM »

I honestly think that's the only way people are going to get the message.  Its going to be very very messy.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2020, 02:05:49 PM »

Someone in our street is having a new drive laid and the workmen have been working there most of the day.  ??? 
A builders delivery truck dropped off supplies earlier this morning too.    They've gone now so wondering if they were just finishing off the job as it was started last week.   I can't see if its been finished yet as another neighbours car is obstructing full view, but it looks like there are white plastic sheets covering the limited bit I can see.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2020, 02:31:15 PM »

Just had a Tesco delivery, and pretty lucky I think.   Ordered 3 bottles milk, got two.  No tinned tomatoes, and a couple bottles of wine unavailable but otherwise OK, even got a (small) tub of hand wash.    I think the total order was about £110, £85 got delivered.

Not sure if this is a bit ocd, but I then spent a half hour wiping all the packaging, and all the bottles with food safe anti-viral disinfectant.  The carrier bags will be quarantined for a few weeks before reusing. ???

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2020, 05:10:09 PM »

In the last seven days, I went outside once on Monday to put rubbish & recycling in their respective bins and today (Tuesday) to purchase grocery for the forthcoming week. The main road was significantly quieter than normal and Tesco's car park was not crowded.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2020, 05:30:58 PM »

I managed to get an unexpected delivery slot (Ocado) the other day and its due to be delivered today between 7:30pm and 8:30pm. They send the receipt via email before the guy appears. It's not saying any substitutions. So we'll see if the full order arrives.

It's good to know the 'mob' seem to be dying down. Maybe they have so much toilet paper they are stuck inside their houses now?  ;D
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2020, 05:45:43 PM »

Today I managed a good walk with our dog. Then essential items from three shops. Got everything we needed.

There are three of us including two Vegans, so it’s a bit difficult for them ( not me!). So we are planning full shop weekLy with two top ups.

We gave a home to 2 Kittens at the weekend they needed litter and managed to get that also. They are Arthur and Elsie 10 weeks siblings abandoned. In good health but timid. Not yet introduced them to Lucy dog and tri paw Albert.

Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2020, 05:47:23 PM »

I have been incredibly fortunate in getting food delivered so far, but as no more slots can be booked that will end soon.  So it reassuring to hear of uncrowded car parks and food availability.

Regarding quiet roads we notice that too, on our once a day (government approved) exercise stroll around the village.  I also notice, being under a certain flight path, a big reduction in number of jet-trails in the sky.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44