Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35130 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2020, 08:45:04 AM »

I estimate I've lost about £6000 on my investments, I have withdrawn some, which I did online, but not early enough and nearly a week later still haven't received the money. I did get lucky with one small pension fund I was in the process of transferring and was able to divert that to a cash holding, but if I'm not careful I could miss out on rises in the market as it needs to be reinvested at some point. I also invested some cash in a new pension after the first big drops thinking that was it but I was wrong. My current investments would give me a pension of about £4000 a year if lucky, so we can ill afford these losses but that's the risk with investing and why we keep some cash investments to, just in case something bad happens. We are not well off, we live comfortably and carefully, both our cars are over ten years old, and we're trying to save for retirement, I have ten to fifteen years to go depending on how our savings go.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2020, 08:46:01 AM »

An email from Sainsburys.

Dear Ron,

I wrote to you last week to tell you about some of the steps we are taking to support increased demand for food and other essential items.

After I wrote to you last week, many of you replied. You wrote to share your concerns about our elderly and vulnerable customers and to ask if we can do more to restrict the number of items each person can buy. I have listened to feedback from you and from Sainsbury's colleagues across the country and wanted to share some of the extra steps we are taking to make sure everyone has access to the items that they need:

A number of you suggested that we reserve an hour in stores for elderly and vulnerable customers. In response to this request, we will set aside the first hour in every supermarket this Thursday 19th March, for elderly and vulnerable customers. I hope that you can respect this decision and will work with us as we try our best to help those that need it the most. If you or an elderly family member, friend or neighbour would like to shop during this hour, please check online for your local supermarket opening hours.

We will also help elderly and vulnerable customers access food online. From Monday 23rd March, our online customers who are over 70 years of age or have a disability will have priority access to online delivery slots. We will contact these customers in the coming days with more details.

For any online customer who can travel to our stores, from Monday 23rd March, we will operate an expanded 'click and collect' service. We are significantly increasing the number of collection sites across the country over the coming days in preparation for this. Customers can place their order online as usual and pick it up from a collection point in the store car park. We believe this will also work for people who are self-isolating.

As we work to feed the nation, we are also focusing all of our efforts on getting as much food and other essential items from our suppliers, into our warehouses and onto shelves as we possibly can. We still have enough food for everyone - if we all just buy what we need for us and our families.

To help us get more essential items onto the shelves, from this Thursday 19th March, we will be closing our cafes and our meat, fish and pizza counters in supermarkets. This means we can free up warehouse and lorry capacity for products that customers really need. It will also free up time for our store colleagues to focus on keeping the shelves as well stocked as possible.

I mentioned last week that we had put limits on a very small number of products. Following feedback from our customers and from our store colleagues, we have decided to put restrictions on a larger number of products. From tomorrow, Wednesday 18th March, customers will be able to buy a maximum of three of any grocery product and a maximum of two on the most popular products including toilet paper, soap and UHT milk. We have enough food coming into the system, but are limiting sales so that it stays on shelves for longer and can be bought by a larger numbers of customers.

Finally, I wanted to end by saying a huge thank you to Sainsbury's colleagues across the business. Everyone is working flat out in difficult circumstances to do their best to serve our customers. If you're able to say thank you to them when you see them, I know they would hugely appreciate it.

Best wishes

Mike

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2020, 08:52:05 AM »

Hi

I know it appears bad but they will recover.

I honestly believe this has all been hyped to the point of hysteria by firstly, the media and then politicians

If we all keep calm and think of others in relation to not hoarding food etc... there will be enough for all and supermarket shelf’s would be normal

This is not happening though and the thoughtless are making the situation worse for all

These are just my thoughts

Many thanks

John

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2020, 09:25:39 AM »

From Ronski's Sainsburys letter...
To help us get more essential items onto the shelves, from this Thursday 19th March, we will be closing our cafes and our meat, fish and pizza counters in supermarkets.
...what does that refer to?

@d2d4j,  I can only try and persuade you to sit back and look at the facts.  No government is acting on media hysteria, they are acting solely on scientific advice, either local advice or International advice.  What possible motive would a government have to ruin the economy, other than that the scientific advice is overwhelmingly convincing?  Our own government has been better than most IMHO, distancing themselves from even WHO guidance so as to rely first and foremost on our own trusted advisors.  But unsurprisingly,  our own experts seem to have come to exactly the same conclusions as WHO and so we seem to be back on a common course.

I've yet to establish the facts but it was mentioned on BBC Breakfast this morning that the Police may soon be given special powers to forcibly detain and isolate people with symptoms.   If that is true, does it still sound like hype?

I do think it's time for the media to stop giving airtime to those with no scientific knowledge.  That includes all party-specific politicians, especially opposition MPs, or  'former ministers', both of whom might be suffering from sour grapes after losing their jobs.  It also includes social media stars, unless they have full scientific qualifications, I'm just not interested. Briefings from the PM, representing the Government rather than the party, and flanked by his advisors are much more useful.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 09:29:27 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2020, 09:29:12 AM »

Totally agree John. The astonishing selfishness of the hoarders beggars belief. I do feel that the PM in particular is not being careful in the way he is presenting things and this is driving much of the hysteria. You only have to open say the Daily Mail to see they are not just reporting facts but much else as well which is not helping

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2020, 09:49:03 AM »

From Ronski's Sainsburys letter......what does that refer to?

I took it to mean  they're closing their cafes and meat, fish and pizza counters in supermarkets, which in turn means staff can stack shelves, space in delivery trucks can be used for essential items etc.

McDonald's are closing all seating areas, and will only be take away /drive through or McDelivery

Tesco's are planning on only opening 6am to 10pm, no longer 24 hours

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8122785/Tesco-set-announce-reduced-opening-hours-6am-10pm-24-hour-stores-tonight.html

Some useful info can be found by the below link for those struggling financially.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/03/uk-coronavirus-help-and-your-rights/

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2020, 09:50:40 AM »

I know it appears bad but they will recover.

I personally think that recovery will be very slow, and how many companies are going to go bust, which they can't recover from.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2020, 10:40:52 AM »

The economic recovery will depend on how quickly or slowly the pandemic subsides, and the latter is a complete unknown right now. Yes some companies will not recover most likely in the leisure and hospitality industries at least at first.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2020, 11:25:50 AM »

Just had confirmation of what I will and won’t receive in my first ever online shop.  Doesn’t look too bad...

Two tins of soup ordered, none available.
One pot of hand wash, none available.
Extra thick tinfoil ordered, standard tinfoil substituted.
Pack of 16 own-brand  loo rolls, pack of 9 substituted.
1.5 kg of potatoes ordered, 2kg of different potatoes substituted.

Other stuff like pairs of chicken kievs, meatballs, fish, instant coffee, bread, various bottled sauces, a bit of veg’, a few bottles of wine, all look set for delivery. :fingers:

And one more thing that I’m trying to blot out... 4 bottles of real ale ordered, none available.    :o

There seems to be plenty of other beers on the shelf, I suspect I just made an unfortunate choice and they were not inclined to substitute.    :(
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 11:30:40 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2020, 01:01:26 PM »

I asked my friend who has daily reports from his girlfriend in Italy if things are as serious as the media reports are making out.

He said its much much worse than the media are reporting.

I've also seen other reports basically saying that if you're over 60 in Italy and get it, you're screwed as the ventilators are only being offered to under 60s due to a huge shortage.

This is exactly what we should be trying to avoid over here and why our governments slow reaction is being laughed at by other countries.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2020, 02:37:57 PM »

Tomorrow marks a fortnight of working from home to avoid this SARS-COV-2 virus.

The roads around here seem empty, my local Aldi looks ransacked.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2020, 03:31:44 PM »

My wife's just come back from getting some shopping, she couldn't get potatoes anywhere, not even the local farm shop.

ETA. She did later find some at another fruit & veg shop
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 05:39:37 PM by Ronski »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2020, 03:43:43 PM »

Interesting analysis by Imperial College researchers, explaining the various options and possible consequences.

Graphs show the predicted timelines from doing nothing, through to full insolation with closing of schools, as has happened in some regions.  It’s easy to see why the latter is not necessarily (but might be) the best option - look what happens next winter on the green line.   I don’t envy any PM faced with choosing which path to follow. :(

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/196234/covid19-imperial-researchers-model-likely-impact/

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2020, 04:52:41 PM »

I was going to put in an order today with Ocado. I sat in the virtual queue for about 3 hours (even though it predicted 2 hours). It got down to position number 37 then refreshed to say the site is temporarily closed until Saturday.

Ocado as really been caught off with bandwidth requirements of their website. They had to close their app yesterday as that was lagging for people.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2020, 05:41:10 PM »

Schools are now to be closed at the end of the week, except for looking after the children of key workers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51952314
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44