Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35146 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2020, 07:01:34 PM »

I went ahead with a pre booked Dentists appointment today, hygienist clean then a long overdue full checkup.   I felt quite well but even so, before setting off, I checked my temperature.   36 point something, quite normal.   

Did the Dental staff check my temperature for themselves?  No.
Did they even ask if I had a temperature, or other symptoms?  No.

There was a virus warning poster on display, and (optional) hand sanitiser on the reception desk, but these seemed to be the only precautions.

:'(
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 07:03:46 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2020, 08:19:33 PM »

I dismay at people posting on Facebook "its just the Flu", there honestly seems to be some people that just don't understand the gravity of the situation.

I shouldn't be surprised really, its how we ended up with Brexit and electing this government back in again despite their complete incompetence after all.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2020, 09:14:43 PM »

I dismay at people posting on Facebook "its just the Flu", there honestly seems to be some people that just don't understand the gravity of the situation.
I do not share your views on all matters mentioned, but I certainly share your dismay on people who are playing down this crisis.   

Governments all over the world are taking steps that are certain to send their economies spiralling into ruin.     Stock markets and pension savings will not just bounce back, because many companies will go completely bust, whereupon shareholder assets are gone for good.  Heaven knows what the future holds for us all, even after the outbreak subsides.

What possible motivation would these governments (that is ALL governments in the world) have to take these measures, other the fact that COVID-19 is for real?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:17:32 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2020, 09:21:14 PM »

I shouldn't be surprised really, its how we ended up with Brexit and electing this government back in again despite their complete incompetence after all.
Agree with the first sentence, totally disagree with all statements in the last sentence - we ended up with the Conservatives back in power because the UK people saw Labour for the complete shambles they were/are.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2020, 05:57:20 PM »

Things are starting to get bad here in Skye. No food to buy in the local co-op supermarket today. Luckily we have booked a delivery slot from Tesco for this coming Friday. Tesco comes across from Inverness to the island and has a pickup point for us in the carpark in Broadford. We’re taking orders from our neighbours and adding their needs into our own shopping basket for Friday where neighbours have been caught out by the coop. And thank goodness, we have flour in the house already so we can at least make bread.

Janet does B&B and her B&B guests have been cancelling their holidays across the board so our income will be zero, so it’s crisis time. The government is going to have to do something serious to help people, to feed them, to make sure people have something to live on. Luckily this won’t be forever, but I don’t know how long it will be.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2020, 06:17:28 PM »

I know it's going to be hard especially for islanders who rely on the tourist trade. We have just had to cancel out visit to the Isle of Wight because we are in the group advised to avoid social gatherings and unnecessary travel. We were worried what might happen if we got the bug would we be allowed to travel back on the ferry.

As to supplies in the shops even here on the mainland it is problematic, our local Sainsbury looked like it had been ravaged this morning and not much better elsewhere.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2020, 06:24:13 PM »

Just FYI Tesco don't put your shopping aside when you order.
They pick it prior to delivery to you.

If you have pasta, rice, tinned soup, coffee, toilet roll, etc on your online order don't be surprised if much of it doesn't show up.

The mad panic buying by some is ridiculous.
I went to my local Tesco around 10pm last night and it looked like the zombie apocalypse had come.
Empty shelves all round and empty boxes all over the floor.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2020, 06:28:49 PM »

@Weaver, sympathies re the income loss.

Good idea taking orders for neighbours.   I’ve  been thinking about doing likewise as most of our neighbours are even more elderly than me and not very computer literate.  One’s  recovering from a recent stroke, and another is making serious efforts to self-isolate as she’s on immuno-suppressant drugs following a major organ transplant.

I’ll test the water first though as my first ever home delivery is due tomorrow.  Much of the stuff I have ordered, edibles included, is now unavailable to re-order.  So I’m not pinning my hopes on anything useful actually materialising.... :(

And damn, you reminded me, I should have ordered flour.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2020, 06:29:27 PM »

Here’s hoping anyway. The COVID-19 situation is, so Janet tells me, fairly non-existent thus far in the Highlands, but I may be wrong. I don’t know about the Lowlands of Scotland/Central Belt. We couldn’t be much more isolated here if we tried, Although perhaps the Western Isles and Northern Isles might win that one.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2020, 08:28:32 PM »

The problem for the scientists right now is there is no reliable test for seeing whether someone has HAD the virus either asymptomatically or had it  and recovered. Once they this it will be a game changer in terms of understanding.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2020, 08:29:57 PM »

Janet tells me there are now two cases in the Highlands.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2020, 10:34:30 PM »

Janet does B&B and her B&B guests have been cancelling their holidays across the board so our income will be zero, so it’s crisis time. The government is going to have to do something serious to help people, to feed them, to make sure people have something to live on. Luckily this won’t be forever, but I don’t know how long it will be.

This is exactly why people should have savings, a rainy day fund, but too many people spend what income they have and don't save anything, I guess I'm just old fashioned.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2020, 10:43:06 PM »

This is exactly why people should have savings, a rainy day fund

We lost £10000 plus of ours in two weeks  :o we sent forms in to withdraw it all if there is any left of our Bond.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 44