Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35116 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2020, 10:05:54 AM »

I'll be 75 in a couple of weeks, and I'm certainly not going to stop going out for fresh air and exercise. I live in a village, and it's easy to avoid getting too close to other people (but close enough to exchange a few friendly words). I'd quickly go mad if I was forced to stay indoors.

My wife and I (both 72) will do the same.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2020, 10:12:28 AM »

A thought.   If the supermarkets wanted to do something constructive, that would reduce unnecessary consumption, they could maybe suspend all multi-buy offers?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2020, 01:56:04 PM »

According to Matt Hancock on the news the 70+ staying at home will come in at some time. Good luck with that, just don't see how it could be enforced.

Stuart

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2020, 01:56:53 PM »

Just had my Ocado delivery today.

They have a new procedure in place so they will knock on the door, greet you and put your order on the door step. They now aren't allowed to come in your house or hand you directly any bags. If you have any substitutions they now won't take them back, and if you have any spare plastic bags (that Ocado used to give you 5p per bag handed back to them) won't now be accepted.

I wonder how long the panic buying will happen? I'm hoping people will get sick of themselves, or finally realise there is no need to panic. If people are self isolating I'm sure there is an arrangement to keep people in food (and toilet paper).
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2020, 02:25:50 PM »

I saw last night that ocado are not taking on new customers.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2020, 02:29:41 PM »

According to Matt Hancock on the news the 70+ staying at home will come in at some time. Good luck with that, just don't see how it could be enforced.

Stuart

That's where China has the advantage, don't do as they say there and they just cart you off kicking and screaming.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2020, 02:48:43 PM »

I saw last night that ocado are not taking on new customers.

Yep, I just discovered that.  I was able to register but the subsequent email, rather than “welcome to Ocado”, was essentially “hard luck”.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2020, 03:22:58 PM »

Here in Scotland we will just have to "Reduce social contact" according to the chief medical officer. So no bingo or visits to the pub, but visits from family and friends are ok.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2020, 04:46:40 PM »

Amidst all the gloom, I was touched by this note which appeared on the doormat this morning -

Dear Neighbour, We live at xx xxxx xxxx and would be very happy to help anyone in xxxx xxxx or xxxx xxxx who needs assistance in the next few weeks, if you are poorly and / or unable to go out. Please do give us a ring if you need shopping or something similar that we could do for you. If we become ill ourselves, we would of course let you know. Best wishes,

They're a relatively younger couple in a road of mainly oldies.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2020, 04:50:34 PM »

We registered with Morrisons and did an order only to find the first delivery slot was 31st March so binned it! Went out locally and got all we wanted apart from loo rolls and tissues.

Stuart

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2020, 05:56:38 PM »

Amidst all the gloom, I was touched by this note which appeared on the doormat this morning -

Yep I saw that on BBC, volunteers all over are handing them out.

Another story I liked....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-51895386/coronavirus-spain-and-italy-applaud-health-workers

...if somebody in the UK organised same I think I’d want to participate.  We live on a quiet rural road with no immediate neighbours so chances are nobody would see us, and anybody who did see us would think we were nuts, but I’d gladly go down and lean over the fence to applaud at the right time.    :)

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2020, 06:14:47 PM »

Did anyone catch the repeat of "Contagion: The BBC Four Pandemic" broadcast at 02:00 the other night? Apparently it was first shown in March 2018, and given the current situation was eerily prescient.

It certainly explains why the government has been so insistent about the need to wash our hands frequently, even if it seems a rather low-key response.

The programme is still available on iPlayer for the next month, and at 74 minutes long will give you something to do while you are self-isolating.  ;)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2020, 06:32:48 PM »

I guess this wonderful forum may have another benefit as time progresses. I’m 70 and can’t face isolation for very long, but here we have a likeminded community and hopefully can support our mental health if nothing else.

My daughter has been sent home from St Andrews university ( student) and told not to return until September, she is in her third year and some on line tuition is promised. I’m also chair of a charity, we are making arrangements for board meetings by Skype etc. So whatever the government says the population is making its own mind in a good and bad sense.

Keep well everyone.

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2020, 08:50:49 PM »

Did anyone catch the repeat of "Contagion: The BBC Four Pandemic" broadcast at 02:00 the other night? Apparently it was first shown in March 2018, and given the current situation was eerily prescient.

It certainly explains why the government has been so insistent about the need to wash our hands frequently, even if it seems a rather low-key response.

The programme is still available on iPlayer for the next month, and at 74 minutes long will give you something to do while you are self-isolating.  ;)

Just watched it, thanks for the tip.   Fascinating, and might well be the source of the hand washing advice.   I wish they’d foreseen that, obvious with hindsight, such advice would lead to shortages of soap.

Is it just me, or were their ‘reasonable worst case’ assumptions probably quite optimistic compared to what we’re seeing with COVID-19?    Also worth pointing out that the documentary was about a flu virus, whereby they tell us that the authorities already have warehouses full of medicines, and could knock up a vaccine in just a few months.   Unfortunately of course, Covid’s not flu, no stockpiles of medicines, and no vaccine any time soon.  :'(

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2020, 01:20:37 AM »

Just watched it as well, its beyond spooky! They simulate an outbreak starting in haslemere, which I believe is where the first reported case without travel to an affected area was last week.

Chilling, their model predicts 40m infected in the UK and with a 2% death rate 800k dead. All this with a a flu model which I think has a far shorter period without showing symptoms.

As 7LM said, the preparations for such a pandemic seem to be centred around flu, with an expected 4 month lead time for a vaccine... unlike C19.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44

anything