Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35106 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2020, 09:45:45 AM »

Thats good news on your observation 7LM.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2020, 02:02:49 PM »

Our daughter bought her Mum and herself tickets for Wembly at the end on the month, well that's off  >:(
I think I am ok with the hotel as I can cancel it, but the 1st class train tickets I have bought  :( 

Same for May we booked a Hotel in Gibraltar for a week and again I think I can cancel the hotel but I have booked and paid the flights with BA in Business class also a car hire with them (for use mainly in south Spain  :o ) .
Not sure what we are doing about that yet.

We have also booked a house in Pitlochory Scotland for September for a week with that paid (none refundable)  >:(
Trains and plane and car hire paid for  :o

I have never known a Virus spread so fast.

My wife has just gone shopping and is getting a bit more stock if we are grounded as we do not to keep much in but do two shops a week.

Bit of a shock reading what you put about SM delivery as we thought we could rely on that if we self isolate.

No Toilet rolls OMG what are we going to do people are saying, (it's not that type of Virus !).

I was born in a Terraced house in Derby and I remember my Dad used to cut old news paper squares up with a hole in one corner with a piece of string through to hang on a nail for use in the Out Side toilet  :D.

I suppose on the bright side it's my Birthday today and my wife and I are going to a small local pub for a meal tonight.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2020, 04:55:33 PM »

tickmike. Depends what type and where bought. For starters https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46594.aspx
It might help.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2020, 05:14:39 PM »

Tickmike, if your September holiday is affected, we really will  be in the brown stuff.

I'm glad to say I have nothing booked, not a thing, the wife and daughters are at the Adelphi Theatre today, and I think she has another show booked in a few weeks time in Canterbury I think, but at least no holidays.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2020, 05:33:04 PM »

Tickmike, if your September holiday is affected, we really will  be in the brown stuff.

And may well need the extra loo rolls that everyone appears to be hoarding  :)
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2020, 06:26:46 PM »

I actually fail to see how things can possibly be any better by September, why should they?   It’s not going to go away that soon, and probably not until vaccines are available.

Personally we’ve actually got one thing for which to be grateful.   Every four years, the last week in March, we’d normally attend a conference in the USA involving several hundred people from all over the world.    By a rare stroke of luck we decided, some months ago and before the virus was known, to give it a miss this year. :(

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2020, 09:16:36 PM »

I'm well aware it won't go away by them, but hopefully things will settle down and we'd be over the worst of it, or at least better at coping with it . Seems to be what the Government is publicly hoping with there smoothing the hump of out.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2020, 10:33:34 PM »

Time will tell, Ronski.

I’m now retired but other half still works.   They had a ‘trial’ day last week where everybody worked from home and apparently it went ok, so they’ve all just this evening been told to work from home for two weeks.   I welcome the news, but question whether two weeks is enough?

Personally I still enjoy getting out to do the shopping twice a week, I’d go stir crazy without it, and would like to continue.   But I also had a naughty habit of doing the shopping early evening when the sun was already over the yardarm as they say, then sneaking in a quick pint in the pub before heading home.   I haven’t done that for the past couple of weeks, and have resigned myself to the idea that these days are gone, for many months to come. :'(

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2020, 03:59:59 AM »

Two weeks ago I was taking this serious, much more serious than most people, but my mind was almost convinced that we would eventually beat it, it would be gone, probably within a 4-6 month period.

But looking at how the spanish flu went down, and that most viruses become seasonal, year on year events.  Its kind of hitting home that we may have to deal with this for the rest of our lives, it can potentially change a lot of our way of life for the years to come.  Now it wont always be as grim as it is now, as eventually we will have vaccines and possibly even some type of medicine for those effected, and eventually the public will learn to live with it so things like sporting events would resume.  This will probably be a game changer for the NHS in its long term funding and management.

Looking at countries like china, they have effectively got their rate's down to how the spanish flu was after its first wave, at a continuous very low level, but not eradicated.

There is still absolutely no evidence that letting this run will will have it peak before it infects most of the population, if as predicted that plays out, our peak is going to be further than the government has predicted.  The virus will keep spreading until either (a) it runs out of people to spread to which basically almost everyone is infected, or (b) we stop it via vaccine, or (c) it mutates into a dormant form, finally (d) we almost stop it via china lockdown procedures, but of course this wouldnt kill it, it would just stall it.

With an aim of getting 40+ million infected I would be very surprised if we in any kind of normality in the upcoming months.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2020, 07:35:57 AM »

I had a couple of events planned for May, even if they go ahead I don't think I can risk it seeing as I have Asthma and I've been worried about getting Pneumonia even from seasonal Flu as it does like to drop to my chest.  My mum is Diabetic and Asthmatic, so even if I were fine its a huge risk I'd pass it on to her.

I also have an event coming up in October, not so sure about that one.  I can hope for a vaccine by then, but its probably rather optimistic.

I barely leave the house as it is, but its amazing how much more oppressive it is when the danger in doing so is ramped up.

Its baffling how many people are acting like this isn't a big deal.  They seem to be blissfully unaware of just how much more contagious this is than the usual viruses we deal with and how much more serious it is for people with compromised immune systems.

Doing all I can, installed Folding at Home on my server and desktop, giving my GPU a good workout.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2020, 09:11:43 AM »

I can't work from home, I can do some paperwork/admin on the computer at home, but my job is very hands on, I can't run a workshop and fix trucks at home.  Most of the companies business is removals, that again is a hands on job. My wife also works at a hospital so again can't work from home.

I've no idea what's going on at work as I'm in the middle of two weeks off using up holiday, and they've managed to block my remote desktop connection so I now can't log in and check emails  :lol:

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2020, 09:36:46 AM »

Seems they are now saying over 70s will be asked to quarantine themselves for a lengthy period.

Four months quarantine is being touted but I can’t find any evidence that the actual duration came from any authoritative source, maybe just a journalistic rumour that is drifting into ‘fact’.

I do find myself trusting the government on this, and that they are doing the best they can, based on scientific evidence and advice, given that we are where we are in terms of resources.   They’ve no motivation to do otherwise.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2020, 09:41:06 AM »

Hi

@ronski - can you not vpn into router to resolve connection block unless it’s on the terminal where your blocked

I think this is been blown out of all proportion and I had a terrible chest over Christmas which makes me think perhaps it was this.

It’s based on the fact that there will have been visitors to the uk before the virus was known and therefore could have started in uk before Christmas

We have not stopped doing the things we would normally do (including going out) but dismayed that people are hording (very selfish). However, again I think people saw the shelf’s empty so they in turn bought as much as they could, and do it makes it worse.

I also do not understand the toilet roll shortage - I thought this was made in uk and they must have stocks (manufacturers and supermarkets)

To the people trying online shopping - do you wipe your food/groceries and wash your hands - it may have been picked/packed by an infected person

I am sorry for long post, I try to keep away from posting on these type of threads but I cannot understand why fear is been propagated

Many thanks

John

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2020, 09:44:10 AM »

These reports that over 70's may be asked to self isolate for four months even if they do not have any issues, yes 4 months! This is not just those who have underlying health issues but everyone!  This is ludicrous if it actually happens. The virus is not air borne so I cannot see what good it will do, older folks need exercise and keeping them effectively locked up for months will do no good for the physical or mental health. I do wonder whether this has been leaked to 'test the waters' prior to any real decision. Seems like Robert Peston started this and he is not known for fake news.

I see no problem in going out for a walk in the fresh air if you are not showing any symptoms, also being careful to avoid crowds if possible and taking sensible precautions like wearing disposable gloves or wiping the handle with a disinfectant wipe when shopping in supermarkets for example as you do not know who has used a trolley or basket before you. One thing I think shops have to clamp down on is people putting children  in the trolley where food is placed which is plain stupid, something I see a lot, who knows what they have trodden in!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2020, 10:03:20 AM »

I'll be 75 in a couple of weeks, and I'm certainly not going to stop going out for fresh air and exercise. I live in a village, and it's easy to avoid getting too close to other people (but close enough to exchange a few friendly words). I'd quickly go mad if I was forced to stay indoors.
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44