Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35342 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« on: March 12, 2020, 07:01:21 AM »

There is at least a few of us on here with underlying health conditions.

I wish everyone the best of luck in getting through the weeks and months ahead.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 09:29:22 AM »

You're absolutely right, Chrys, and I second those best wishes to all.
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 12:59:40 PM »

I have underlying health conditions. As long as Mrs Weaver doesn’t catch it from her visitors (she does b&b) then I’m all good, as I never ever see anyone.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 09:06:42 PM »

I've cancelled a couple of hospital appointments for the next two months.

If anyone uses the home delivery service you need to book your delivery date asap, as it seems everyone as turned in to maniacs on there.

The Asda delivery driver said one person ordered 20 pallets of food the other day, that is equal to the amount of food they deliver to care homes.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 09:43:20 PM »

Don’t believe everything you hear in the news about supermarket delivery slots.   

As a precaution, just in case we end up isolating, I registered with my favourite supermarket today, for the first time.   No problem registering, and to test the system, a delivery already scheduled for Monday morning.   A few slots from tomorrow onwards, and all through next week, Monday simply suits me better

I’m not saying where I live or which shop, but it is a major national chain, within a 100 mile radius of London.  My basket for Monday already includes a large pack of Andrex loo paper, at a big discount of normal price. :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 10:10:21 PM »

i can normally order for next day, last week i had 3 slots to pick from for entire week and half of weeks 2 and 3 were gone also, so i did multiple advance orders as far as i could, its like Christmas now

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 10:21:04 PM »

i can normally order for next day, last week i had 3 slots to pick from for entire week and half of weeks 2 and 3 were gone also, so i did multiple advance orders as far as i could, its like Christmas now

Put another way, it sounds like you had a choice of three different slots that same week, and a choice of half of all the slots in the following two weeks.   Doesn’t sound too bad, to me. :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 10:54:31 PM »

I’m not saying where I live or which shop, but it is a major national chain, within a 100 mile radius of London.  My basket for Monday already includes a large pack of Andrex loo paper, at a big discount of normal price. :)

Don't hold your breath, none of the shops do reservations of products so when they turn up the loo paper will probably not be there.

We only use home delivery and its ALWAYS a mess.  You can order something and it be out of stock on the day so they do not deliver it, but you CAN'T order something that is out of stock, even though it might come IN stock before your delivery.  Utterly dumb.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 11:04:08 PM »

Ah, like so many things, too good to be true. :(

My basket for Monday is also well stocked with non-perishable tinned and bottled nourishment, aka beer and wine, fingers crossed that gets through ok. :fingers:

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 11:27:54 PM »

Don't hold your breath, none of the shops do reservations of products so when they turn up the loo paper will probably not be there.

We only use home delivery and its ALWAYS a mess.  You can order something and it be out of stock on the day so they do not deliver it, but you CAN'T order something that is out of stock, even though it might come IN stock before your delivery.  Utterly dumb.
The SM we order from, if you've agreed, will deliver substitutes for the same cost, even if larger or dearer.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 11:44:13 PM »

The SM we order from, if you've agreed, will deliver substitutes for the same cost, even if larger or dearer.

Thanks, I’ll probably put it to the test.   

I say this in jest, but not sure what would be the substitute for Andrex toilet tissue?     Daily Mail, Guardian, or Telegraph, or does the answer differ depending on Tesco/Asda/Waitrose? ::)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 12:58:45 AM »

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 01:56:08 AM »

Substitutes are recommended by computer, often completely bizarre and unrelated to what you ordered.

We no longer ask for substitutes as too many things react with my mums medication so she has to be extremely specific.

For example all the sugar free drinks have a chemical in them that is iffy. (likely for everyone as its not been well tested, but worse with her medication)  Its pretty much original Pepsi or nothing, soft drinks wise, which can be problematic with takeaways when they are out of stock so try to sub it for something sugar free.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 08:55:01 AM »

Substitutes are recommended by computer, often completely bizarre and unrelated to what you ordered.

Sounds like home delivery may not be as useful as I hoped.   I’ve never used it, but did persuade my Dad to sign up to Tesco in the last year before he passed away.  It was a godsend as he was getting quite poorly.

My other worry is when choosing, say, a joint of beef, or a nice cauliflower we tend to be a bit picky and hard to please?   But I guess I can learn to compromise for a few weeks if that’s what it takes.

WHO Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Situation page.

Interesting site, but quite heavy on graphics and a bit slow to render - is that just my iPad?

My other favourite source of data is...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I’d never heard of them til last week but as far as I can see the data appears accurate and is concisely presented.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 44

anything