Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44

Author Topic: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)  (Read 35105 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: The Coronavirus (COVID-19)
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2020, 08:49:54 AM »

Further update from Sainsbury's Chief Executive Mike Coupe

Dear Ron,

We are continuing to work around the clock to feed the nation in these challenging times.

Many of you have written to me in the past 24 hours to tell me that you like the idea of priority shopping for NHS workers and for elderly and disabled customers, but that these should be at different times.

We have therefore decided to allow NHS and social care workers to shop in our supermarkets for half an hour before they open each day. So anyone with NHS ID will be able to shop from 07.30-08.00 every day from Monday to Saturday. We're delighted to be able to offer priority shopping to all the hard-working NHS staff across the country who are working so hard to keep us all safe and well.

In addition to this, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, all our supermarkets will dedicate 08.00-09.00 to serving elderly customers, disabled customers and carers.

Many of you have also asked me about priority online delivery slots for elderly, disabled and vulnerable customers.

We have been able to identify a number of customers as elderly and vulnerable based on the information they have given us previously. These details would include date of birth and if you have ever used our vulnerable customer helpline. For all of these customers, we will email you today (Sunday) with information on when slots will become available.

If you do not receive an email and you consider yourself to be vulnerable, please visit our Groceries Online website on Monday for information on how to contact us. We are also working as quickly as possible on an option for people to register themselves as disabled and vulnerable on their online shopping accounts.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to get in touch with me and share your feedback - it's because of you that we are making these changes and we will continue to listen, learn and adapt during this uncertain time.

Best wishes

Mike
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2020, 09:05:26 AM »

Asda have no delivery slots either now.   It looks like they've closed down click and collect.   Everything is completely blocked out for the whole calendar as far forward as it goes.

I do have an order due tomorrow which I booked a week ago.  I signed in to add a couple of things last night, but as soon as I did that I got a message listing of all the things that I'd ordered last week which are now out of stock.  I ended up cancelling my amends because the items which aren't in stock take me below the threshold and I'd have to pay £5 for the delivery despite having a pass, so that gives you an idea of how low on stock they are.   

Since I can't get a slot for next month at all and only managed to get 2 this month, I wonder if they will give a refund to those of us who pay for an annual pass because we rely on it each week, yet can't use it.   

I don't think they are giving priority for delivery slots for the vulnerable, they have just asked on the site to be considerate when booking time slots... like that will make any difference.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2020, 09:26:08 AM »

From my observation of home delivery, both Tesco and Waitrose...

It appears that you can’t add things to your basket that are not currently on the shelf at local centres.  Trouble is, by the time the order gets packed for delivery these things might be available again, yet you weren’t allowed to order them. 

And other things, that were ok when you ordered are now out of stock, so removed from the delivery.

This seems to be the case even for amending an order that’s imminent.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2020, 11:59:02 AM »

Yesterday I received my first Waitrose delivery, and I was quite pleased with the result. The only thing where I fell foul of "no stock" was two packets of frozen veg, which I'd added to the order at the last moment (24 hours before delivery). There were a few substitutions, one of which was a bit idiosyncratic but OK.

But that looks like my last as well as my first, because every slot is now booked up to 20 June.

But the good news for old and vulnerable customers is that Waitrose is now giving over the first hour of opening every day to those categories. I went there this morning to get a couple of items which I'd missed from my delivery order, and they were actually policing it, stopping every car coming in and speaking to the occupant. I was in and out in ten minutes, and happy with the result.
  Eric

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2020, 12:50:33 PM »

But the good news for old and vulnerable customers is that Waitrose is now giving over the first hour of opening every day to those categories. I went there this morning to get a couple of items which I'd missed from my delivery order, and they were actually policing it, stopping every car coming in and speaking to the occupant. I was in and out in ten minutes, and happy with the result.
That's encouraging to hear.
'Vulnerable hour' was supposed to be operating at my local branch last Friday. Absolute farce - standing adjacent to the prominent notice about the scheme, a young female assistant was waving everyone in with a "Good morning - all are welcome". None of the usual security personnel anywhere to be seen.
Hope it's better next time.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2020, 01:13:35 PM »

Maybe I’m just envious, as I don’t quite qualify on age criteria.  I’ve one or two ‘underlying conditions’ that may put me at risk.  But who hasn’t, over the age of greying hair?  And I’m unwilling to turn up at the door and plead for sympathy.

But I’m just not convinced that ‘prioritising’ any one group will solve any problem, other than a bit of good publicity for the supermarket.   We all need to eat, regardless of age.

Arguably it’s the youngest of all (younger than me, certainly) who should have priority access to soaps and sanitisers, as they’ll be the ones who’s jobs will make it hardest to self-isolate.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2020, 01:46:22 PM »

I noticed a couple of sites asked if I was either over 70, a vulnerable person, or in isolation. But it didn't make any difference when it came to ordering as there just isn't any delivery slots.

The food sites should have closed themselves to new customers, except those that can prove they are in an allowed group.

Someone on facebook said that shops should remove trolley's and only have people using the hand basket. I seem to have a memory from early childhood of a similar situation in the local stores and thats what they did. It soon stopped people hoarding as they couldnt carry that much in the basket.

I don't think the government is helping by putting out warning messages. When I've stumbled across someone defending hoarding they say they are stocking up in case they have to go in to 14 day isolation. Like they think they won't have access to food. I think the government needs to address this. I've often wondered when hearing stories of lockdowns, how those people are supposed to eat? It's ok ordering people in their homes but unless there is a way to access food then I don't see how a lockdown can operate. I wonder how people in these other countries (and US states) deal with supplying food while in a lockdown/quarantine?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2020, 10:20:47 PM »

I fell for it again guys  :(

I got an email from Ocado saying they had identified me as a vulnerable person. They give me a special link to click and was told to login, make an order and book a delivery. I thought awesome!

Used the link, made the order, got to the delivery page and no delivery slots. What's more is they only have tomorrow, tuesday and wednesday listed. They used to go a few weeks in advance.

So I fell for the old trick thinking there would be delivery slots, especially when told by them to make a delivery  :no:
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #128 on: March 22, 2020, 10:27:13 PM »

Just how low can people go, in normal times this would be extremely bad, but with what's going on now  :no: :no:

https://theisleofthanetnews.com/2020/03/22/police-receive-report-of-drilled-tyres-on-thanet-ambulance/

This was at our local ambulance station.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2020, 09:58:10 AM »

I saw a tweet about that and a follow up from a local security firm offering to do free patrols for them:

probesec
@probesec1 18h
I’m so sorry to hear this,
We at @probesec1
  would like to offer free evening mobile patrols to the ambulance station if they require it. If the station manager would like to take up this offer please email the office on info@probesecurity.co.uk Many Thanks #thanet
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:00:52 AM by jelv »
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2020, 12:18:35 PM »

At risk of offending all Londoners...  do they actually feel an ‘entitlement’ to live in a world of their own?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52003076

Yes I know about the weekend chaos at Snowdonia, West Wittering beach etc, but cramming themselves onto a crowded underground train seems mind numbingly irresponsible to me, like they haven’t taken in single a word of advice.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2020, 01:17:36 PM »

In fairness, Londoners aren’t a monolithic group of idiots.

They’ve got the same worries as everywhere else - idiot bosses who won’t let them take time off or work from home, landlords demanding rent for the next few months upfront, precarious housing situations, or jobs that actually are essential.  But the sheer numbers, coupled with a big reduction in tube and bus services lead to pictures like those in the article.

All those problems are exacerbated by the fact that most people can’t afford to live near their jobs, so commutes are required.

I mean, yes, there’ll be some idiots acting in bad faith, but I really don’t think that’s the whole story... unlike the absolute *morons* who congregated at Faversham for a few beers last week. No excuse.

YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2020, 01:53:54 PM »

I do have an order due tomorrow which I booked a week ago.

Well that was a disaster.   
Out of an order which was originally £130.73, total goods worth £27.21 were received.   In that £27 was a jar of Olay and 1 bottle of wine.. if you also take the bin bags off, I was left with about £12 worth of groceries mostly cat food.   No eggs, no bread, no peas, no corn, no beans and I can't believe they didn't even substitute milk for anything else, surely there must have been some milk as I was first order of the day.     

So after all that wait all I ended up with this week was basically:  2 chicken breasts, mushrooms, lettuce, part baked petit pans, garlic dip and bananas.     :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2020, 02:15:25 PM »

Well that was a disaster.   
Out of an order which was originally £130.73, total goods worth £27.21 were received.   In that £27 was a jar of Olay and 1 bottle of wine.. if you also take the bin bags off, I was left with about £12 worth of groceries mostly cat food.   No eggs, no bread, no peas, no corn, no beans and I can't believe they didn't even substitute milk for anything else, surely there must have been some milk as I was first order of the day.     

So after all that wait all I ended up with this week was basically:  2 chicken breasts, mushrooms, lettuce, part baked petit pans, garlic dip and bananas.     :'(

We have you beat, had a pre-booked slot with Ocado for weeks and its suddenly vanished without a trace, no warning, no reason, no checking that we are at-risk so a priority, and their phone lines are closed.

Mum is frantically trying to get in touch with Sainsburys now as they won't let her order without confirming she is at-risk and the phone lines are jammed.  Also some stupid restrictions on how much you can order so its impossible to buy a weekly shop for two in one order.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 02:18:02 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2020, 02:21:17 PM »

From my observation of home delivery, both Tesco and Waitrose...

It appears that you can’t add things to your basket that are not currently on the shelf at local centres.  Trouble is, by the time the order gets packed for delivery these things might be available again, yet you weren’t allowed to order them. 

Yup, its always worked like that and makes no sense whatsoever.

Its even more frustrating when you check your order the day before and it tells you what is no longer available but won't let you change the order at that point to add things that now ARE in stock.

Whenever we've complained about it in the past their response is "our service isn't intended for people who are disabled so can't get to the shops".

If there is one good thing to come out of this pandemic, I hope its that the government clamp down and demand that online delivery is better designed for people who are housebound.  Some of us have been suffering this mess for years already.

I mean sure, normally I'm not housebound as such, just have social anxiety and issues with major fatigue which means I'm not always awake during daylight hours.  But even then I can't do our shopping, as the shops I can get to do not stock the items my mum needs due to her dietary restrictions and it would cost a fortune to get taxis to the bigger stores on the off-chance they actually have stock.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 02:25:57 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44

anything