Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hand Sanitizer  (Read 2370 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Hand Sanitizer
« on: March 09, 2020, 10:33:40 AM »

Anybody else been looking out for hand Sanitizer?

I’d developed a technique for locating it, which was to simply enter any chemists shop and look for the empty shelf.  Over the past week I had this down to a fine art, but still failed to acquire any sanitizer.

This morning I applied a different technique... when there’s a queue snaking around Superdrug, all the way out the door and along the street, simply join that queue.  Sales were restricted to two per customer, which I think is an excellent idea.

I suspect that particular shop will now be bare as there weren’t many left and that was over an hour ago, but hope may now be in sight for replenished availability. :fingers:

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: Hand Sanitizer
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 11:42:09 AM »

Any tips on finding antibacterial soap? I find myself lusting after it during this virus outbreak...

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 12:22:06 PM »

What I'm horrified at is the lack of care and personal hygiene of 'Joe or Josephine  Public' in shops,  today the woman in front of me at the till licked her fingers before getting her notes out of her purse. No wonder bugs spread like wildfire! She probably wont wash her hands when she got home.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 12:45:20 PM »

Utter insanity.

Just wash your hands a bit more often and a bit more thoroughly. If you can’t get to a sink, use something of at least 90% alcohol to denature the virus and kill it.

Ordinary soap is *absolutely fine*. Hell, so is fairy liquid. It’s the surfactant properties of soap that helps water flush the virus from the skin.

Oh, and try not to touch your face. That’s the hard bit!

A single bar of Imperial Leather lasts at least a month.  Buy 2 and you’re done.

And don’t get me started on toilet roll. What the hell are people doing with the stuff!?
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 01:14:47 PM »

Just use soap, it's more than good enough!
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 01:29:38 PM »

more people die of the normal flu every year.
yes, this one is spreading, but maybe we need it to spread to help build up our immunity in the future.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 01:54:12 PM »

Soap is a good idea, trouble is it is not much help when out and about, unless you also carry the kitchen sink.

I have some 99.7% alcohol at home (IPA for cleaning pcbs) but I believe 70% is the recommended alcohol content for sanitizers.  Stronger can cause skin damage, if used too often.

I’m not surprised by the shortages.  People are being told to wash more often and to use sanitizer when washing is not possible.   Arguably, the shortages just show that people are taking notice, using more soap and more sanitizer, which is a good thing.

One thing that sometimes annoys me is, after washing my hands in a public facility, I often have to handle a door knob to get out again, after which I want to wash my hands again... :(

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 02:14:47 PM »

What annoys me is that we have been using hand sanitizer for over 10 years when out and about, started when my wife was having chemo, then later when I was. This panic buying is just idiotic, and don't get me started on those who purchased loads and now sell it on ebay for £10 or more a 50ml bottle  >:D. Fortunately we have a couple of bottles still from before the panic started and if I do see any in a shop I will buy another couple.

But as I said earlier people are not being sensible and following advice to cough or sneeze into a paper hankie and then bin it. People are still walking round the stores coughing and sneezing and not catching it at all.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 04:35:55 PM »

To me the panic buying just suggests nobody was washing their hands regularly enough to begin with.

Its also kinda hilarious as I'm not sure I've ever seen someone wash their hands properly when out and about (in fact, many public toilets make it impossible due to push taps, cold water, etc) so I don't think for a moment they will follow the instructions on how to use hand sanitizer.  You know, the part where if you don't actually keep rubbing your hands causing friction and spread it between your fingers, it wont actually work.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 05:15:51 PM »

What I find particularly disturbing is reports of lowlifes stealing supplies from hospitals, including ripping dispensers off the wall. Truly mind-boggling how anyone could do that.

To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 05:21:13 PM »

more people die of the normal flu every year.

0.1% die from common flue (of those infected), 1% to 2% die from Covid 19, so 10 to 20 times the amount of people, just imagine what would happen if Covid 19 was as common as the common flue, the hospitals would be rammed and wouldn't be able to cope.

On a better note, China which has a population of over a billion seems to be having less cases now, but they are probably more heavy handed at controlling people than the UK.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 05:22:11 PM »

What I find particularly disturbing is reports of lowlifes stealing supplies from hospitals, including ripping dispensers off the wall. Truly mind-boggling how anyone could do that.

Very sad, my wife works at the local hospital, even toilet rolls are being stolen.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 05:54:12 PM »

I travelled on London Underground earlier today.  The train was busy, but I found a convenient place  to stand on the ‘non platform’ side.

A younger than me lady a few seats away quickly offered me her seat, which was a bit of a shock as it’s never happened before, do I suddenly look that old?  I politely declined, with what I hoped was a courteous smile.

Then I noticed, a guy sat next to her was sniffling and coughing a bit.  Coincidence? ::)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 05:00:18 PM »

I travelled on London Underground earlier today. 

A younger than me lady a few seats away quickly offered me her seat, which was a bit of a shock as it’s never happened before,

Now when I go on the tube and it's busy I go up to the person (as long as they are younger than me) sitting in one of the marked seats and ask if I can have there seat, not been refused yet.  :-\

Glad we still have 'bidets' in our house being there is no toilet rolls  :blush:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 05:31:15 PM »

TBH Mike I usually prefer to stand, rather than to sit with cramped leg room and non-existent elbow room.

On long haul flights, even if I book premium seats with extra space, I’ll be the one annoying the air hostesses with their trolleys, by constantly looking for excuses to pace up and down the aisles. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3